closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SBDD001 Direct Drive

Hybrid View

Seiko SBDD001 Direct Drive

Thanks to SC (cheers Adam!) I've added another titanium quartz Seiko diver to my collection - the SBDD001 kinetic direct drive. It's an interesting beast - very large at 46mm across the bezel - it wears bigger than my Darth Tuna - but quite lightweight and lugs not over-long so it's pleasant to wear. Comes with a very nice titanium bracelet with the excellent ratcheted extension as used on the MM300, and thanks to drilled lugs can be easily fitted with other straps. Once the bracelet was adjusted I fitted my usual Eddie's NATO, but can easily refit the bracelet should I need to wear the watch with a suit - or to enjoy the relative warmth of titanium against the skin as we move into winter. The titanium has Seiko's version of diamond film coating so should be pretty robust compared with uncoated titanium.
    The movement is the hand-wind version of Seiko's kinetic system, so gives the accuracy of quartz without the worry of running out of battery when away on a trip. Nice sapphire crystal, and sawtooth-type bezel edge. Very pleased with it :)

Couple of photos for you all ..

With my trusty Darth (on William Jean's sharkmesh)

On the wrist with the titanium bracelet - Darth there to compare size.

Cheers,
    Steve

Journeyman
    That is a beautiful diver, I am thinking to go with that or the mm300

Master
    Thanks Daddel. I reckon Seiko's missing out on sales, because a lot of Seiko divers are too large for many of us to buy. Every time I see a terrific new Seiko diver, the watch diameter turns out to be huge. It's quite frustrating.

Someone please tell Seiko to produce more normal sized dive watches. I don't want to buy a watch as big as a saucer! The SBDD001 is a typical example: a fantastic watch, ruined by a 46-47mm diameter.
    Last edited by Dougal; 3rd March 2014 at 00:31.

Journeyman
    Indeed, even 42mm looks big on my wrist.

It's the lug to lug length that really does it in.
    As far as something similar, Seiko made a lot of cool kinetic divers in the 90's that were much smaller than the sbdd. If you can find one, the scubamaster is a real treat:

Last edited by lenny; 3rd March 2014 at 03:12.

This link makes interesting reading for anyone contemplating one of the Seiko Marine Master models.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/tit...os-178463.html