closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: quality brogues

quality brogues

I fancy a pair of nice brogues that will last a long time and serve me well but want to spend wisely as they don't seem cheap.

so far i've looked at loakes, churches, trickers. I'm decided on tan leather that was the easy part.

thoughts and opinions please.

I fancy chunky soles nothing to slimline as they need to be worn both smart or casual.

Re: quality brogues

brogues. the original bog trotters shoe. the tooled holes were not originally decorative but actual holes designed to let water drain out of the shoe when working in wet areas. eeeeeeee theyve come up in the world.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    brogues. the original bog trotters shoe. the tooled holes were not originally decorative but actual holes designed to let water drain out of the shoe when working in wet areas. eeeeeeee theyve come up in the world.
    you haven't put me off I still want some :mrgreen:

Have a look at Trickers and Joseph Cheaney too. I have a pair of Cheaneys and are very comfortable. Also invest in some wooden shoe trees. A quality brogue should last a lifetime if looked after.

Rod

John White or Cheaney (owned by churches)

I've got a pair of Trickers brogues I bought in 1975. I'll be wearing them to walk to my local later. They've been back to Trickers a few times for resoling, I've had the Commando sole unit on for quite a few years now.
    F.T.F.A.

Barker are also worth a look, they last pretty well.

Craftsman

If you are still young enough to be trendy get yourself a pair of Grensons

12 pages about "Good Shoes"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=120010&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

and a thread "Best shoe polish" when you get them :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=174073&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Banned

john lobb or edward green

and for pity's sake remember brown is not for town!

-------------end of thread--------------------

this is making the decision harder not easier a few brands there I hadn't even considered.

regarding the cleaning I can imagine cleaning brogues well is not an easy thing to do all those holes to fill up with muck.

Quote Originally Posted by dtc2
    this is making the decision harder not easier a few brands there I hadn't even considered.

regarding the cleaning I can imagine cleaning brogues well is not an easy thing to do all those holes to fill up with muck.

I see what you mean but it doesn't happen. The bristles on a brush keep the holes clear whilst still applying polish - it's not being troweled on.

Trickers are the way forward, great brogues, try the Stow boot i have two pairs one normal Antique Acorn and one made from Cotto Cordovan leather, both with the commando sole.

Also look at Shoehealers at Doncaster, on the web, great shop and the guy who runs it called Richard is so helpful and passionate about good quality footwear.

Regards.

Keith.

A nice pair of Cheaneys should do the trick. Sometime regarded as jr Churchs as they were bought out by them but lovely shoes in there own right and not quite so round toed as the Churchs which i prefer, also considerably cheaper although still around the £200 mark.

I've actually been looking into the exact same thing myself recently.

Not sure if it helps, but there's some cracking Loakes on offer in Ellesmere Port - Cheshire Oaks shopping village. Some tan brogues were £79.99 last week although they didn't have my size, only had them in brown.

Some nice recommendations in this thread though, and tempted by some of the wedge soled Grenson boots myself now. Like the Brogue boot but with a sort of Clarks wallabee sole.

Banned

All good makes mentioned above. There's also Sanders to consider as well, on line shop here.

Herring shoes have a good selection as well, here.

One of lifes experiences must be to visit Ducker and son in oxford
    ledgers of every sale on the shelves go back over 100years and include Churchill,Tolkein
    Amazing service here and a handmade service too, if Sirs budget allows.....ready mades are normal prices for shoes that will outlast you. Websites worth exploring.............
    http://www.duckerandson.co.uk//shoes/semi/semi3.php

Quote Originally Posted by senwar
    I've actually been looking into the exact same thing myself recently.

Not sure if it helps, but there's some cracking Loakes on offer in Ellesmere Port - Cheshire Oaks shopping village. Some tan brogues were £79.99 last week although they didn't have my size, only had them in brown.

Some nice recommendations in this thread though, and tempted by some of the wedge soled Grenson boots myself now. Like the Brogue boot but with a sort of Clarks wallabee sole.
    80 quid for some tan loakes would be perfect that's cheap

Just to help matters, here's the Boot thread as well :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150120&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Master

I have a rather splendid pair of Church Burwoods in Sandalwood leather. Lovely. :)

Master

What about a pair of these?

http://www.regenttailoring.co.uk/Catalo ... Mens_Shoes and Boots&item=162

Steve

Craftsman

I have been enjoying a pair of Barker's Livingstons for the last year very nice, and a quality shoe.
    http://www.andersonsofdurham.co.uk/en/b ... gston.html

Tempted by a pair of Grenson Archie V in the new year
    http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/archie-1949

Master

Are Alfred Sargent any good ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris
    most definately so....and am told theymake up shoes for several well known brands as well
    Goat (particular about his hoof-covers)

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT
    ledgers of every sale on the shelves go back over 100years and include Churchill,Tolkein
    Amazing service here and a handmade service too, if Sirs budget allows.....ready mades are normal prices for shoes that will outlast you. Websites worth exploring.............
    This

Failing that, Trickers, Church's or Grensons

Cheers,

Craftsman

For the country gent there's always these as well:

http://www.fifecountry.com/mens/footwea ... rogue-4155

I've had a few pairs of the Kenmore Longwing an absolute bargain.

regards
    grant

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer
    What about a pair of these?

http://www.regenttailoring.co.uk/Catalo ... Mens_Shoes and Boots&item=162

Steve
    I can thoroughly recommend Regent Tailoring who are the UK agent for Ludwig Reiter shoes and boots.

I used to buy Church shoes for work (I still have a few pairs that are all ten to fifteen years old and still going strong) but I now only buy Ludwig Reiter.
    They are a very old company (1885) based in Vienna and I can honestly say they are the best made and most comfortable shoes I have ever owned by a mile.
    LR are a great company and will even make a semi custom shoe if you want.

If any one fancies a pair call Will at regent and tell him Graham sent you. (No connection other than a very satisfied customer)

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT
    This

Failing that, Trickers, Church's or Grensons

Cheers,
    Yep. I have Ducker & Son handmade, Church and Grenson. Had Cheaney in the past, also good. Not had Trickers yet but they are on the list. If you want to go mental and money is not a consideration get some Vass bespoke!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    john lobb or edward green

and for pity's sake remember brown is not for town!

-------------end of thread--------------------
    I'm a life-long fan of Edward Green, and I still have shoes that I bought more years ago than I care to remember. Look after them, use shoe-trees and they will last forever.

edward green are quite good. Old man had a pair and lasted him aged

I bought a pair if Grenson 'Freds' boots last week for.£170 and very happy with them,

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong
    I have been enjoying a pair of Barker's Livingstons for the last year very nice, and a quality shoe.

not keep on the vibram sole on those grenson otherwise they would be very nice and the angus would be great if they came in tan. Don't want black.

I can safely say edward green are out of my league price wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris
    There was a not-so-long-gone shoe shop in Maida Vale called A.K and G Martin- Stone who sold Alfred Sargent shoes.
    The guy who ran it told me a story about how he had sold a pair of these shoes to a policeman who patrolled the corridors of Buckingham Palace. To cut a long story short, he (the policeman) was pulled up by the Queen who complained that the shoes squeaked as he marched up and down and it was driving her mad. He brought the shoes back to the shop and they were returned to the factory where they dismantled them and found the squeak to be caused by dried-up polish in the seam between the sole and the upper.
    They gave him a new pair.

I bought some and have been wearing them for fifteen squeak-free years.

Craftsman

not keep on the vibram sole on those grenson otherwise they would be very nice and the angus would be great if they came in tan. Don't want black.
    Well, thats how it started for me, I looked at them and thought the sole was weird.... then I looked again.... and again.... I was drawn back, and have come to the conclusion that it is so incongruous that it really works!

Master

Well, thats how it started for me, I looked at them and thought the sole was weird.... then I looked again.... and again.... I was drawn back, and have come to the conclusion that it is so incongruous that it really works!
    Want to like but keep thinking "remedial"...

Church's Grafton for me. Triple soled outdoor shoes of outstanding beauty and strength.

just like their owner

:mrgreen:

Master

Got a few pairs of Church's Brogues in Black/Brown/Tan Chetwynds are my favourite, I've also just had a pair back having been re-soled, they've done an excellent job.

You can't beat brogues, the perfect shoes for any occaission.

Master

Piggy backing the post - any of these brands suitable for "wide" feet? Used to be EE in old money.
    Bought a pair of RM Williams boots whilst in Oz, the only style which would fit was the Tambo - designed apparently for the PNG stockmen renowned for their extra wide feet :shock:, and even those are a 'snug' fit.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad
    Piggy backing the post - any of these brands suitable for "wide" feet? Used to be EE in old money.
    Bought a pair of RM Williams boots whilst in Oz, the only style which would fit was the Tambo - designed apparently for the PNG stockmen renowned for their extra wide feet :shock:, and even those are a 'snug' fit.
    I've got really wide feet, most of the traditional bench made shoes are available in a huge variety of widths, I'm a 'G'. Some use letters to represent width others use numbers.

Master

Big fan of Church's here. Recently bought some Church Chatsworth broogues which are just about perfection for me. I've not been able to find them onilne though and had to get them from the store in Leeds. The chap there (Paul I think) gave me a free service for them too which must be redeemed within a year. They'll still be brand new by then! I like the Graftons from Church's too. Wise investment either way though one will cost a bit more than the other.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by neebsta
    Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad
    I've got really wide feet, most of the traditional bench made shoes are available in a huge variety of widths, I'm a 'G'. Some use letters to represent width others use numbers.
    Whilst inspired by this thread to do some serious searching, managed to get completely confuzzled by everyone's width measurement, I actually discovered I have a traditional mid-range shoe shop 4 miles up the road :D shoe retailers for five generations!
    So, off I go to get my "plates" measured and I'm off the scale width wise, yet the boss man reckons I'd get into a pair of Loakes G Fit - and so I do :D , a little tighter than I'm used to on the right foot. No problem, we'll "ease" that for you, no obligation.
    So I'm now the happy owner of some Loakes Brogues L1's at a very reasonable £100 :D

(I hate this forum, all it does is make me spend money :evil: )

Master

[quote=langtoft lad]
    Quote Originally Posted by neebsta
    Quote Originally Posted by "langtoft lad":2wp7y1ai
    Whilst inspired by this thread to do some serious searching, managed to get completely confuzzled by everyone's width measurement, I actually discovered I have a traditional mid-range shoe shop 4 miles up the road :D shoe retailers for five generations!
    So, off I go to get my "plates" measured and I'm off the scale width wise, yet the boss man reckons I'd get into a pair of Loakes G Fit - and so I do :D , a little tighter than I'm used to on the right foot. No problem, we'll "ease" that for you, no obligation.
    So I'm now the happy owner of some Loakes Brogues L1's at a very reasonable £100 :D

(I hate this forum, all it does is make me spend money :evil: )[/quote:2wp7y1ai]
    :lol:

Trickers are the best of the ready mades imho by a country mile, I go there once in a blue moon -and only at sales time- and am usually greeted with 'Ahh Mr Kaye how are you Sir, 10&1/2 double EE if I recall'! Serriosly good service and superb shoes, built for a lifetimes wear!
    Joe

Can't go wrong with any from http://pediwear.co.uk

Sounds like a Sun headline !

Quote Originally Posted by london lad
    ? If this refers to my post above then sorry :)

Just thought they deserve a mention as they sell most of the brands already mentioned here at good prices, are a small business and I have used them for years.

I'm a Church man myself. Perfect fit. You could go running in them.

Quote Originally Posted by jnike
    Quote Originally Posted by london lad
    ? If this refers to my post above then sorry :)

Just thought they deserve a mention as they sell most of the brands already mentioned here at good prices, are a small business and I have used them for years.

Sorry I wasn't criticising your post, it's just the gutter press are always making headlines out of abbreviating the word 'paedophile' to 'pedi'.