closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who on here DOESN'T own a dive watch

Master

Re: Who on here DOESN'T own a dive watch

I've had some diving legends in the past but don't have any in the collection at at the moment. I'd really like to get my hands on a Dreadnought GMT when it's available but I can't say I miss having one at the moment. That said I would love to still love to have these two.

No dive watch. Plenty of dive style watches that are only 100m WR. Can't wait to get a Seamaster chrono.

Blog Entries

Mine are all sold. Miss my prs3 original and also N3 nettuno. Had a cwc diver that au revoired also. Just really waiting, waiting, waiting and waiting for the new smiths diver quartz (along with rest of stable too come out). Too be honest my watch interest has waned to null. I only have a dress watch my wife bought me.

I dont think I actually NEED a diver. Prob a prs _10 would do the job nicely with its 100m spec. The amount of people with depth on their wrist is mad. But thats people. I used to be one. Never went diving ever, nor will, so divers watch not a must just a habit.

In fact im starting to resent the watch. Ive come full circle to realise the phone is considered the modern day pocketwatch. Thats all i need. The wristwatch is jewellry and as a MAN should resent all forms of jewellry . You can say tool watch but too much nambying and tomTOOLery (lume, depth, movement, clarkson behavior) going on to let it just be a fit for purpose. No, for me its in the pocket now or nowt. No ostentation, no flash, just pure guessing the time, using the sun, doing a chuck norris and being a caveman.

Rant over , sorry for my thread car wreck

Blog Entries

okay i like watches again, i saw the new zex shot on the upcoming list. Complete reversal for me, im off the wagon! :P

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bond
    Mine are all sold. Miss my prs3 original and also N3 nettuno. Had a cwc diver that au revoired also. Just really waiting, waiting, waiting and waiting for the new smiths diver quartz (along with rest of stable too come out). Too be honest my watch interest has waned to null. I only have a dress watch my wife bought me.

I dont think I actually NEED a diver. Prob a prs _10 would do the job nicely with its 100m spec. The amount of people with depth on their wrist is mad. But thats people. I used to be one. Never went diving ever, nor will, so divers watch not a must just a habit.

In fact im starting to resent the watch. Ive come full circle to realise the phone is considered the modern day pocketwatch. Thats all i need. The wristwatch is jewellry and as a MAN should resent all forms of jewellry . You can say tool watch but too much nambying and tomTOOLery (lume, depth, movement, clarkson behavior) going on to let it just be a fit for purpose. No, for me its in the pocket now or nowt. No ostentation, no flash, just pure guessing the time, using the sun, doing a chuck norris and being a caveman.

What a great rant!

Ive come full circle to realise the phone is considered the modern day pocketwatch. Thats all i need.
    I can understand how that fits for you. However, there are some people who do not have the option of using a mobile phone and a watch is a requirement. If deploying to Afghanistan British forces are forbidden to take mobile phones. They also require something (a watch) to tell the time from, something that will stand up to the harsh environment and use it will be put to. Doesn't matter whether it's a G-Shock or whatever, only that it's reliable and does the job. It's also easier to have a quick look at you wrist than fumble in the dark to find something in a pouch, and obviously the reduced illumination. This also applies to field training exercises, wherever they are being held.

Not a thread car wreck IMO, but a semi-diplomatic WT mini rant :lol:

I agree with some of it and disagree with some other bits.

I have cooled towards buying loads of mechanical watches and bought a EPD. No worries about setting it or anything. Very nice watch.
    :lol:
    I still like mechanical divers and have a few left, though I have sold most and lost a fair bit of interest instead of frenetically buying divers watches. This coincided with buying the SDGA or rather buying the SDGA was a result of not being quite so eager scooping up mechanicals as before. Just going through a phase like so many forum members before me.

I do not need a diver, I just like them for the ruggedness and knowing that, should you go swimming, snorkeling or even diving, that they will be up to it. That being said, these days I prefer simple watches with no day/date, no numbers, no second markers on neither dial nor chapter ring, no seconds hand - very difficult to have a diver without most of these features :lol: :wink:

I distinguish between "need" and "nice:" I do not "need" a divers watch per se, but they sure are "nice." I still like them.

You mention "depth on the wrist." I had the 3000m divers, but they are all now gone. I liked them for the ruggedness and the quality (UTS Pro Diver 3000m, GP GGYC etc etc).

IMO people can buy them, if they want. It is their money. Most of us do not need 3000-5000m WR and it was/is a race amongst manufacturers to make these super WR watches and a race of WIS/customers to have the latest/the one with most WR. Again, I used to buy them myself and people can do, what they want with their money.

I am not on the same page as you with the cell. I am one of those who find it annoying to fish in the pocket for the phone to check the time. I still like to have a watch on the wrist and read the correct time at a glance.

I am with you on the jewellry though.

But again, that is just our opinion.

It must be said, that plenty of people in other countries, cultures and even in your/my neighbourhood likes a flashy heavy gold chain around the neck or wrist (BRRRRRRRRRRR... !)

To each his own.

Craftsman

I don't have 'a' diver, I have 4 - not nearly enough tbh.

I don't have one and don't see myself getting one in the future.
    Still enjoying chronographs at the moment.

Master

3 out of 6 are divers but none has seen water!

Journeyman

You got me. My couple first were dive watches and I still have them. Probably won't get new divers in a while though, It's time to move on! :arrow:

Love dive watches - but like most I've not dived with them.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by mark a.
    ...and doesn't plan on getting one?

Just curious, really. They seem to be everywhere, but perhaps it's more perception than reality.

(I own one "proper" dive watch, by the way, but also have others that can do 200m or 300m.)

Not me.. :P

No dive watch?

Heresy, burn the witch!

:D

Divers make up approx half of my watches....so not me :)

Me thinks no one :D

That solid feeling is good :D

Quote Originally Posted by highland
    Dive watches feel more "robust" to me

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

:shock: 90% of mine are Divers..

They take more hammer so work for me :wink:

Master

I have nine watches six of them are divers,
    another two and I could kit an octopus out !
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc
    Bob.
    But how deep does an Octupus go :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc
    Bob.
    But how deep does an Octupus go :)

It depends on which watch the octopus is using that day as its a well known fact that they wear their watches in rotation.

Bob.

I don't dive, nor do I fly a plane or go to formal dinners, so I don't need a diver, chronograph or dress watch, but having tried them all, the diver offers the most practical option for me and I'm never without one.

The PO was the one I opted for although I went to look at another
    just seems to suit my needs the best.

Dive watches are (or should be) what most people genuinely need in a watch - durable and legible. Hardly surprising really that they're so popular whether or not they see a drop of seawater.

Divers watches are my favourite type of watch. My 1000m Tuna might be abit over kill but I love it :lol:

If you start a thread of "who on here doesn't own a dress watch?" That would be me and never have, never will.

Master

Got one diver but have never worn a wetsuit.

Oh, and I have a dress watch and don't wear one of them either.

scooter

Craftsman

Sorry but I've never understood the fascination with dive watches (unless you go diving) so I don't have one and can't see me buying one. There again I love mechanical alarms so my tastes are possibly a bit odd too.

But to ask a more serious question, what constitutes a dive watch as most watches rated to 100 or 200 meters are not suitable for even scuba diving according to the manufacturers? I assume a dive watch would have to be specifically rated as such. :?