closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you wear quartz on a daily basis?

How many of you wear quartz on a daily basis?

Been reading more about HEQ lately, and it appears that a number of members own Breitling & Omega Quartz models. I've also seen a GS quartz and an Oysterquartz advertised on SC recently.

I used to think quartz movements were all cheap battery watches with little horological meaning. After reading a little about the history of HEQ I've come to realise that there is a time and place for quartz. So with the obvious advantages it has over mechanical pieces: accuracy, durability, price, servicing costs, wondered if anybody on the forum has swayed to the convenience it offers, but then found there could be no real bond with a non-mechanical movement?

Tristan

Re: How many of you wear quartz on a daily basis?

I have two Tunas, a Breitling and an old slim Omega Seamaster that get regular wrist time. The Tunas and Breitling are super accurate but the old Seamaster isnt far behind!

Mark

Don't have any quartz at all.

regards,
    Nick

I would add that the Tunas are supposed to go back to Japan for batteries, the last Breitling battery was £155 and a full service and battery on the Omega a couple of months ago was £325!

So, not cheap to run!

Mark

Craftsman

My Casio G-Shock 5600 is the only watch that always stayes with me and whenever I move my 2 mechanical watches around it comes out of the cup board for a few days.
    Having said that I am looking forward to take charge of my new Speedy X-33, so might wear quartz now on a more regular basis. But it was more the space relation rather than the movement that got me interested in the X-33.

I've got a Breitling, Omega, Tag Heuer and Tissot quartz watches. Really not fussed about mechanical watches that much that I have to have the auto movement in preference to quartz. I like the fact you can leave them in the box for weeks without having to faff about re-setting them.

Okay, I'm a luddite

Quote Originally Posted by Threeracers
    I would add that the Tunas are supposed to go back to Japan for batteries, the last Breitling battery was £155 and a full service and battery on the Omega a couple of months ago was £325!

So, not cheap to run!

Mark

Damn. I had no idea the Omega service was that much on a non-mechanical :shock:

How often do Omega/Breitling/Seiko recommend you get these watches serviced?

Tristan

I quite enjoy the process of resetting watches when I rotate - even my Speedie triple date!

Mark

Master

The only watches I wear for more than a day at a time are a Casio GW-M5600 and a X-33 - the rest are occasional jewellery.

Tawatec e.o. diver on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg
    Quote Originally Posted by Threeracers

So, not cheap to run!

Mark

Damn. I had no idea the Omega service was that much on a non-mechanical :shock:

How often do Omega/Breitling/Seiko recommend you get these watches serviced?

Tristan
    To be fair that Omega bill was a one off after I inherited the watch from my father. The hands didnt line up and Omega didn't want to open it up and reset it without doing a full service. Watch came back looking like it had some serious tlc and the bracelet (polished outer links - matt centre links) was very nicely done. Mappin & Webb sent it to their vintage Omega people which I believe is STS (?).

The Breitling bill seems to be every other battery change. They open it up and tell you if its a simple battery or a service is required on top. This time was just a battery.

Mark

I usually wear Seiko kinetics at the weekend, a Citizen RC eco-drive sometimes in the office and a G-Shock solar atomic for DIY and rough jobs. Certainly there is a place for quartz and I like all of mine.
    Still have a lot more autos and they also get their fair share of time.

Ian.

Me ? :? ALL the time. Usually one of my Seiko 7A38's. I have a few to choose from. :D

Craftsman

I wear a quartz ML Miros Diver most days, and i have a quartz Seamaster 120m that i never wear.
    I certainly wouldn't be put off having quartz innards if i liked the look of a watch

i am an old stuck in the mud, if it is not mecanical and vintage then i will not wear it, today i have an oriosa chrono from 1976.

I do all the time at the moment. A PRS-10 on rubber during the week and an atomic 5600 on weekends :)

They're making me inexplicably happy for some reason - I'm having a successful period of being tight with money and paying off debts fairly sharpish and these are my "austerity watches". They've become a bit of a talisman/psychological prop while I'm being careful.

Of course that will likely end and I will come off the tight-fisted wagon. Probably with ridiculous and expensive consequences... :roll:

I have a handful or so of quartz and maybe wear one about once a month or so.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm now a quartz man: I alternate between two excellent Seiko 8F35s (SBCM023 and SBQJ019) and a 'silver surfer' ML Miros chrono, and all are great watches and near perfect timekeepers. My only other watch, which I wear once in a while, is manual wind - a Seagull '63 reissue.

I'm always amazed about how unimportant actual timekeeping is to so many on here, but each to their own of course...

Best

Richard

I wear one of 2 of mine sometimes / but not always on a daily basis

But i do prefer autos'

Craftsman

My PRS 10 sometimes gets an outing, but not every day. I don't think I wear any watch for longer than a few days at a time.

Blog Entries

I wear a PRS-10, a Seiko 8F56, an old Otron Marquis quartz, an old Bulova Accutron quartz, and an old Poljot quartz in circulation (with my other automatic and manual wind watches).

Master

I own more quartz than mechanicals. I have 2 G-shocks (quartz digital, one atomic solar), 1 Traser (analogue, tritium lume), a Polar HRM and this Ventura:

I'm wearing one of the G-shocks today.

Probably about half of my time is Quartz with this one most worn:

The rest of the quartz time will be G-Shock, or '18Q or more recently the Rotary Reverso as a dress option but there are others there to choose from as well.

These are balanced by a nice and varied range of mechanicals for when I feel the need. I will actually often wear a quartz during the day and swap to a mechanical at night and always travel with at least 4 watches so I have a good mix of quartz/mechanical to play with.. :D

I don't own a quartz, the second hands scare me
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i only have one quartz. its a digital. i doubt ill ever wear it out of the house.

Master

Wear and much prefer quartz nowdays 8) have autos and a handwind but never wear them.

Craftsman

I built me this 6309-7548 Quartz hybrid which I wear a lot. It is also quite accurate, in the range of 2 or 3 seconds per month - not bad for a 25 year old movement :)

No surprise, I wear quartz the majority of the time :wink:

I wear a Garmin F60 most days when I am doing phys. Apart from that I have a few HEQ / unusual quartz that I wear in my loose rotation along with my auto's. For me an auto is not nec' superior to a quartz as both are a mystery to me, how can that much technology (mech or otherwise) be stuffed into such a small case???? I also have a G Shock and another Casio Quartz rthat are / have been my beaters in the past.

I do find myself being more and more drawn to the early HEQ side purely because I like the aesthetics of the watches though, not because they are HEQ.

That said me saying "this cost more than a Moonwatch, sub' etc etc did in it's day" does keep SWMBO's protests down a little.

Best

Den

For me things are "the other way around" - have a number of manual-wind and automatic models in my models collection but for me accuracy is very important, and very often not even "standard quartz accuracy" is enough so HEQ is needed :P

Here is my most recent article on the "affordable HEQ" subject:

http://caranfil.org/harrison/heq_update.html

I have a Polar F92ti which is a heart monitor in a Titanium Digital watch that only gets worn when out on my bike and an old Animal which used to be my daily wearer until a couple of years ago.

Now days its either the Monster or the Superocean Pro

Master

Have an Omega Megaquartz Constellation(32kz) which had full refurb from STS and which wear on daily basis.And very good it looks too.!!

I now have 3 quartz watches in total, one is the Casio 5600, the other two are 20 and 22 years old and I keep them because of their sentimental value. The last 7-8 years I only wear mechanical watches.

I have worn a quartz ever days since 1999 except for a brief venture into an Auto for 4 months last year.

I just miss the accuracy too much. I don't want to have to check if my watch is telling me the right time every week - it is afterall what a watch is just supposed to do.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I have two I wear regularily, the Citizen most of the time...

The Citizen Green-Meenie

and the 18Q mostly at weekends

And sometimes when I am feeling the need, a Chrono, but not as often...

Swatch Irony Chrono - can't fault it.

I don't favour either quartz or mechanical - I just like things that are good of their type. Which means I wear them pretty much 50:50.

Craftsman

I wear this one most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WVE60
    I wear this one most of the time.
    Wow, an "ouch" watch.
    Does it hurt?

Journeyman

Yes, I wear quartz most of the time (pardon the pun). Mainly Citizen eco-drive, and Casio
    wave-ceptor

Master

...Yep,wear my SBBN007 Tuna and SINN UX regularly,great go to convenience and both uber accurate,nice change from my mechanicals....

Yup, I wear my Seiko 8F56 daily, and I love it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg
    So with the obvious advantages it has over mechanical pieces: accuracy, durability, price, servicing costs, wondered if anybody on the forum has swayed to the convenience it offers, but then found there could be no real bond with a non-mechanical movement?
    I don't have a problem bonding with quartz at all .. love my Aero and quartz SMP.

Blog Entries

I have atomic 5600 g-shock for sports - or just kicking around the house - I also use it to set all my other watches.

I specifically looked for a quartz for an every day work watch - so I didn't (rightly or wrongly) have to worry about regular servicing on a mech/auto.

So I bought the 2264 SMP - but sold it to make way for an incoming. Replaced it a while later with a Breitling B1which I wear pretty much every week Monday to Friday - amazing accuracy - & there is something strangely satisfying about watching the second hand hit 12 bang on the last of the BBC pips.

Weekends sees the auto Oris or Tudor come out - depending on activities. Or for rougher activities the PRS18Q - which is almost as accurate as the B1.

In short - yes.

But i also have mechanicals & Love 'em all.

:)

z

I wear my quartz in rotation as often as my automatic mechanical watches. Couldnt be without a quartz especially for the rough stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wear a quartz at least weekly, sometimes more often, prefer mechanicals but changing everyday becomes a pain after a while as they always need setting.

When composing my reply to threads like this it always surprises me how many battery powered watches I have :shock:
    They are not worn every day, but like the mechanicals, when they are it is for a week at a time:
    Citizen Chronomaster, LIP Nautic-Ski, Omega Chrono-quartz and Marine Chronometer, Sinn EZM2 and Titus tuning fork.

Master

Must confess to having been a bit of a snob in the past where quartz was concerned. My PRS17Q changed that as I really appreciated a watch that I could just put on whenever it took my fancy without having to set the time. As a result, I now have 7 quartz watches, all of which I love. That said, I will also always own mechanical watches as well. I guess looks and build quality have become more important to me than the means by which the watch achieves its objective of displaying the time.

yep, green but mostly blue mudman on a daily basis

mechanicals for the weekend or posh do's!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by dutchgray
    but changing everyday becomes a pain after a while as they always need setting.
    I think that just part of fun for me. I really really really tried to tell me quartz is very handy, and bought black Omega SMP. Sold it shortly, and replaced it with blue auto. :shock:

-OD