closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Work has started.......

Master
    Yes, a subtle one, I agree Sijoc.

THe baton style, to clarify, need not be uniformly large. The perhaps interesting aspect is the end, that could be made, as adescribed above witht e main body of the GMT tapered, slim, or fine etc..

Perhaps some ideas. :)

Sure Eddie will make an excellent decision in any case.
    Nonethless, it is interesting to see what different possibilities are offered and opinions on them imo.

Sincerely,

Pottinger :)

Quote Originally Posted by JonW
    I think I prefer this:

to this:

Center seconds win every time with me... plus I like the bold in your face of the top pic. I also like larger watches so the original DN dimensions are fine with me, but I realise I may be alone in that thought...

Using the top dial and handset but extending the GMT hand and maybe tipping it with orange lume with the choice of bezels (I quite like the day night/ pepsi look as well as the black) or the bezel from the second pic would be good for me.

Outline that minute hand in blue and change the marker at 12 to blue and Ohh my Gawd! That would be a hot one IMO.

Cheers,
    Todd

Craftsman
    Just back after being away for a few days and delighted to hear that work is commencing on the DN-GMT. I've been so long waiting for this one that I've purchased Omega and Rolex GMT's to fill the gap until the real thing arrives!

I think that if is to be a world-traveller watch as suggested then a 24-hour bezel is a requisite as is a proper (long) GMT hand - I just don't like the short ones as fitted by Sinn etc. Also, I don't think that a 24 hour scale on the dial is necessary and would make the dial look too cluttered.

Any chance of having this one made from titanium Eddie?

Regards,

Michael

Master
    Having owned this:

And this:

And this:

I find I really rather prefer the short 24 hour hand and internal ring of this:

I found the long 24 hour hands to feel just a tad clumsy.

I like the fact that the case will be slimmed down in a couple of areas for the DN GMT; makes it quite a distinct watch in it's own right, and more wearable in my opinion.

Kevin

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonW

Center seconds win every time with me... plus I like the bold in your face of the top pic. I also like larger watches so the original DN dimensions are fine with me, but I realise I may be alone in that thought...

Using the top dial and handset but extending the GMT hand and maybe tipping it with orange lume with the choice of bezels (I quite like the day night/ pepsi look as well as the black) or the bezel from the second pic would be good for me.
    I prefer the subsecond dial in this configuration, if you want to use a center pinion GMT indicator at this length. I think it has a nice balance and is easy to read. Also looks a bit different than the traditional dive watch without going down the Zenith route.

If you want to use a standard length sweep second and use the center pinion GMT hand, I would suggest you make the GMT hand shorter and bring the GMT numbers closer to the center.

I do like a 42mm case....

Just IMO.

DaveB

Master

I prefer this but with a 24-hour all-metal bezel as opposed to the pepsi insert.

I could just imagine the charges of Rolex/Seiko copying which would be cast around if he used a Pepsi insert. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    I could just imagine the charges of Rolex/Seiko copying which would be cast around if he used a Pepsi insert. :lol:
    but if he used a coke insert (white) would Kate Moss sue :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb
    Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    but if he used a coke insert (white) would Kate Moss sue :twisted:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    For what it's worth, I think that the Dreadnought GMT should be as faithful to the design of the original as possible.

I think that NOTHING should be changed, with the exception of the bezel, and the addition of a GMT hand, which should be as small as is reasonable for easy reading.

The original is a now a classic, and not being one of the lucky owners, I'd like to buy something that looks just as good.

Now, this may not be acceptable to current DN owners, who may want something that looks different, but it's what I'd like, because I don't already have one :cry:

Master
    I agree with your sentiments Doug Darter.

Am, too, open to discussions in regard to the design as you clearly are, too.

Viz. the GMT hand, I agree, and perhaps size can be seen in area as well as length...i.e. perhaps not the de facto arrow style of GMT, but soemthing more ergonomic (easy and distinguishable to read) that compliments the design.

One suggestion is the U1 nib, on a slim arm that would min. presence and max, legibility where it counts.

Impotantly, too, it would reduce the concerns in regard to the obstructive or eclipsing by the orig. Dreadnought hands, as the square, nibbed end would always be visible and the time easily distingushable relative to several other designs, whaterver the time may be. (square end versus arrow-shaped end).

It is positively subtle yet distinctive design, which can be modified for subtley due to its unique advantage over other arrow-shaped ends; without having to reduce the classic Dreadnought seconds hand.

An idea.

Sincerely,

Quote Originally Posted by Ailfrid Pottinger
    Impotantly, too, .................

Is this a softly softly approach? :twisted:

Master
    Impotantly, too, it would reduce the concerns in regard to the obstructive or eclipsing by the orig. Dreadnought hands
    Here is the full quote-so in context; it is a serious concern from what has been written about so far-see the earlier posts.

Better than writing 'significantly' or many other possibilities; so, no, it's neither a hard and fast approach nor a softly, softly one, but simply an honest reflection on the context. It is the aspect of the GMT hand possibility of blocking that has been flagged as important, and was emphasisng that, as is clear.

As I wrote, its an idea. I'm sure, as I wrote earlier, that Eddie has it very well under control. Nonethless, it is perhaps good to exchange ideas, as has been the case for us all, as well.

The ideas are just that.

Have a good one this w/e! :lol:

Sincerely,

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter
    For what it's worth, I think that the Dreadnought GMT should be as faithful to the design of the original as possible.

I think that NOTHING should be changed, with the exception of the bezel, and the addition of a GMT hand, which should be as small as is reasonable for easy reading.

The original is a now a classic, and not being one of the lucky owners, I'd like to buy something that looks just as good.

Now, this may not be acceptable to current DN owners, who may want something that looks different, but it's what I'd like, because I don't already have one :cry:
    I would hope that he doesn't use the caseback engraving from the original, which is a very unique thing, but he's the boss in that regard. ;-)

Journeyman

I'm with you Doug........GMT bezel and pointer...........Nothing more is required! It's a work of art! Case will be a little thinner....per Eddie - that will suffice to "Differentiate' from the current DN, yet capitolize on the Iconic design already established!

Another example of GMT bezel and pointer,

Sweet! :D

/Stefan

One thing's for sure; to misquote someone " You can't please all of the people all of the time...".
    Whatever Eddie comes up with, there will be quite a few disappointed Dreadnought fans out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    One thing's for sure; to misquote someone " You can't please all of the people all of the time...".
    Whatever Eddie comes up with, there will be quite a few disappointed Dreadnought fans out there.
    Very true, and inevitable.
    Must say though that I feel the most sorry for Eddie who must have the patience of a Jedi master to put up with all our ramblings, opinions and ideas.

/Stefan

Master
    I completely agree the DN design is iconic and the GMT should be the same aside from GMT hand and 24hr bezel and i would like the engraving on the case back too. And about these tritium vials :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck
    ...And about these tritium vials :lol:

/Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by djgallo

I'm with you Doug........GMT bezel and pointer...........Nothing more is required! It's a work of art! Case will be a little thinner....per Eddie - that will suffice to "Differentiate' from the current DN, yet capitolize on the Iconic design already established!
    This sounds good! The strengt of te Dreadnought is his model and material of stainles steal. I realy, realy dont like the idea of some other material, the sandblasted finish looks great.

I like this model:

Is it agian made by Mr. Dornbluth himself? I realy like that idea.

Hope the watch will have the simulair looks as the Dreadnought. Beacouse i am already selling some watches for this gmt version!

Edit: and a version with a smal second on the 6 looks ugly!

Journeyman

For what it's worth (which isn't much), I wholeheartedly agree. I think one of the most important moments in watch face design is ease and speed of time reading. Reading the main time should be possible in the flick of an eye. This is lost if the GMT hand is similar in shape/size to either of the main hands, e.g. the red GMT sword hand in some of the pictures posted. I would not want such a watch.

My vote is for a long slender GMT hand, perhaps with an arrow head, and the 24-hour marks on chapter ring.

For the same reason, I would not be averse to a seconds subdial in order to avoid having too many long slender hands emanting from the centre.

DN - GMT

Forgive the ravings of a newbie, but the debate over the DN GMT's design is fascinating, so I thought I'd add my 2 penny w'rth. Firstly let me say that over and above all other considerations I think it's wholly different and exciting that a forum is having an influence over final design. Some of the images of how it might look are mouth watering and as someone with very little patience I want one, NOW!!

As a "world traveller" watch I favour an elapsed time uni directional bezel, but think the idea of selling the watch with interchangeable bezels would be a huge selling point.

Regarding the length of the 2nd hour hand, I like the photos of the shorter hand reading against an inner chapter ring. I'm not sure I understand the argument against this design (perhaps someone could educate me, please) since the main hour hand will presumable be obscured 12 times a day but it doesn't stop me telling the time.

Whichever way the argument (and final design) goes I'm sure to be somewhere in the queue. :P

Master
    Welcome Onespeed!

You should enjoy it here, speaking for one's self, I do as clearly do many, here :)

I suppose in relation to your question in regard of the GMT hand, it is rather a matter of preference. Hwoever, undoubtedly more ojective aspects such as the erognomics (ease of use for the usual or majority of persons) are instructive in opiions as in practice.

Perhaps my waxing about a londer and may be due to a preceptiont hat the dial is quite compact in terms of the information proportinate to the space upon the dial, as can be seen in the pics.

On the same theme, of functionability/ergonomics, a different shaped GMT end that with the length alluded to above, would offer:

a) distinctivenes from the other hand for ease and 'fastness' of reading and.

(b) legibility even if the other hands are over it, due to the different shape, rather than size or largely increased area,which other designs neccessarily invoke, with a simiilar shape to the other hands, if not to be obstructed, but also for the max. of legibility and proportions with other info. on the dial, must be achived through size differentiation in type. Exception would be a shorter seconds hand or sub-seconds dial but that would take us away from the orig. Dreadnought design, which might be fine, but, we each have out prefs! :)

That is, in another way, area rather than size for the square or rectangualar shape beneath an arrow shape would be clear, in light and dark and not hugely bigger than the hands, in cotrast to the arrow-shaped, apart fromt he exceptinos noted above.

Therefore, the balance between space, legibility (in all conditions, and the U1 is noted for this, as are rect. areas of lume rather than tapered ones, for obvious reasons, and distinctiveness; shape recognition) and style is achived imo in this way. There are of course other solutions, ideas and points of view. The idea of another time-zone as ablock of time, fits well, perhaps, imo.

It's a good way to air, share and exchange views and ideas with fellow forumers!

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Just saw this Limes.

Master
    I like dat limes! Reminds me of the IWC, though with some distinctive differences, such as the amount of info on the dial, and the hands. The 12 marker; the split apex, is particulalry attractive-it also features on the IWC models.

The GMT marker seems somewhat ineffecient a design, with two arrow-eads, and even then not most effectively resolving visibility matters, despite one of the small arrow-heads extending further than the minutes hand. It probably works, but it looos not so sleek nor stylish design as other ones imo.

Great watch- Limes are renowned for their cases, as well.

Sincerely,

I think the pic posted of the DN with the pepsi dial is positively stunning and I would'nt change a thing!

Talking of cases...

...titanium, bead/sand blasted but certainly no shiny bits to the case, would make the watch a nice light weight weight - adds to the comfort of the wearer. I agree with the posts that say add the GMT function to the'old' DN design,albeit a thinner in height watch.
    A nice dark titanium, ala the Sinn titanium 103 would be perfect.

Dont you all agree the bead blasted steal is a great thing about the Dreadnought?
    There arent much watches with bead blasted steal. And it looks great on the Dreadnought. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Quote Originally Posted by Kubus
    Dont you all agree the bead blasted steal is a great thing about the Dreadnought?
    There arent much watches with bead blasted steal. And it looks great on the Dreadnought. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
    Hey, the steel isn't bad, either! :wink:

PEDANT ALERT !!!! :roll: :roll:

By all accounts the DN was a bead-blasted steal :D

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb
    PEDANT ALERT !!!! :roll: :roll:
    Hey Chris, steady goes it, guy... Just repeat after me: It's just a joke; it's not a personal attack; it's just a joke; it's not a personal attack... :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by davide
    By all accounts the DN was a bead-blasted steal :D
    Gee, I wish I'd said that... :D :D :D Nice one!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    The specialist company who carry out this modification are notoriously difficult to work with (aren't they all?) and 4 months after asking, they still haven't come up with a price for the movements.
    L*****t?

Looking forward to the first pics of the DN GMT!

Quote Originally Posted by Squid Nunc?
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    The specialist company who carry out this modification are notoriously difficult to work with (aren't they all?) and 4 months after asking, they still haven't come up with a price for the movements.
    L*****t?

Looking forward to the first pics of the DN GMT!
    I don't know which company Bas, they're a contact of Fricker.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I seriously hope that a design in the style of mr.1973 will be the one... no pesi bezel please... no SHOUTING colors... stylish please :D

Very nice designs these are, mr.1973 !!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Something like that?

or

Hands variants:

Craftsman

dn gmt

Wow....just saw this post and it already had 10 pages....!!!

Well im in one the Precista Italian LE and now i have to put money away for a DN GMT. I always said if Eddie makes a GMT with a correct function movement i'd buy it. To put it in a DN line of watches is even better!

Way to go.

Save one for me please Eddie!

_Amer

Master
    Have to ask - after all the points, ideas and perspectives put forward has any decision been reached as to the design???

Cheers

I'm also very curious about this watch... would appreciate if somebody could summon the facts, please
    From what I can find out by reading the forum, it will probably not be a limited version?

Ciao!

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo
    From what I can find out by reading the forum, it will probably not be a limited version?

Ciao!
    Correct, and welcome :)

Apprentice
    Can I put my name down for one?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris87
    Can I put my name down for one?
    No need, it won't be limited.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice
    Wonderful. :D

Master
    Wicked awesome! I miss my Dreadnought. I just couldn't wear it with my wrist problems. It would hurt for weeks after a day of wear. Any chance this one will be lighter?

Is there already a date and price for it? Not exactly ofcourse but to give us a idea. :walk:

Craftsman

my 2 cents

Im really looking forward to the DN GMT, however, for what its worth (probably not even 2 cents) im not a big fan of small GMT hands and inner 24hr chapter rings. I MUCH prefer a long GMT hand and outer 24H chapter ring.

On a "manly" watch like the DN a small GMT hand just seems out of place IMHO.

_Faide

Master

DN GMT

Hi, new to this forum. Been hanging out at RLT for a while now but only recently discovered this site. Unsure of site etiquette here but I would very much like to put my name down for a DN GMT. The original DN is gorgeous !!! :lol:

Regards,

Maseman

Master
    Just spotted it won't be limited.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman
    Just spotted it won't be limited.
    You learn fast ... welcome to what I understand is sometimes referred to as "The Far Site". :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")