closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Newbie cheap chronograph question

Apprentice

Newbie cheap chronograph question

Hi All,

First posting here (after a fair bit of browsing...).

I own a Precista Commander (which I love and wear every day), but I'd like another watch. I have a long list of watches that I can't afford, so I'd like to get your suggestions for a cheap chronograph, ideally black (or dark) faced and on a bracelet. Ideally it would be around £200 but I'd probably go to £400. If they weren't sold out, a PRS-17-C (on a bracelet) would be pretty much my ideal - also considering the PRS-5, although I'm not sure about a manual. Happy to look at second-hand, particularly if you could recommend somewhere to find a good second-hand watch. I guess it will be a quartz movement although I'd also like an automatic.

One day I might be able to afford a Fortis B-42 MarineMaster!

Thanks in advance for the advice - Adam...

Re: Newbie cheap chronograph question

How about a Tissot PRC 200 - I've seen them around the £200 ish mark, I have the blue faced version and love it:

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-tissot-pr ... 17187.html

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard
    How about a Tissot PRC 200
    Yes, that looks great - I'll have a bit of a look at the Tissot range.

I should have mentioned that another "would like" would be a perpetual calendar, but I've no idea if this is even an option in this price range.

Thanks again - Adam...

My default recommendation, a nice Strela, available on a bracelet for under £300 GBP new. Its a manual wind though.

Craftsman

For me it would be a Seiko 7a28/7a38, most probably a 7a28-7040 or 7a38-7070.

Well made for the money & despite being around thirty years old pretty accurate.

Depending on condition you should be able to pick one up for between £100-200.

Quote Originally Posted by wads
    For me it would be a Seiko 7a28/7a38, most probably a 7a28-7040 or 7a38-7070.

Well made for the money & despite being around thirty years old pretty accurate.

Depending on condition you should be able to pick one up for between £100-200.
    I love the old 7a chronographs, but I think you would be better off with a 7t32 or 7t62 nowadays. Maybe something like these:

(SNAD89, SNAC07 and SNAC05)

I can't quite tell on the pictures, the bracelets on those Seiko's , are they polished or brushed? The only thing that lets my PRC200 down is that its very polished, bordering on blingy!

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf
    My default recommendation, a nice Strela, available on a bracelet for under £300 GBP new. Its a manual wind though.
    Oooh, that's rather handsome - thanks Robertf. I'm off to do some more digging!

Seiko, seiko, seiko, nothing else comes close at this price IMHO.

I love my edifice £250 ish
    sorry bad photo

If you are keen on the Strela, one on ebay right now, on a bracelet and from (IMO) a good seller (its Juri Levenberg who wrote the book on Russian watches)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-STRELA-rus ... 4cf7a39b7f

Lovely watch - I love my Strela, and it stands comparison with some very nice watches. Good history too (the original strela was the first watch worn on a spacewalk).

Having said all that there are some lovely seiko chronos around too...

Master

If you like the PRS-17C, you'll love the Revue Thommen Airspeed Quartz Chrono. It's got the same superb ETA 251.262 movement with quick-set hour hand (great for travel) and the "regatta" feature - which allows you to set the chrono minute and hour hands to any starting point, effectively giving you a count-down timer. The centre sweep chrono minute hand makes for the most legible and usable chrono display possible. The only way you'd get a better quartz chrono, IMO, is by spending 3 times as much on a Breitling M1, which adds greater WR and the ability to use the pushers whilst submerged.

The case and bracelet are titanium, and very well built; the double sided ARC is so good that the crystal is almost invisible; it's light, low profile, not flashy, and very comfortable. You can buy them used for about £300 upwards, or new for around £600. Different colour dials are available, including black, blue, yellow and red. I've had both blue and black, and am now on my fourth - I keep buying them, flipping them, then regretting it and buying another. I've also had a Fortis B-42 Pilot Pro GMT Chrono, with the 7750 auto movement, but prefer the centre sweep chrono displays for usability, so I sold the Fortis GMT Chrono and replaced it with a rare Fortis Cosmonaut LE in titanium with the Lemania 5100; effectively the big cousin to the RT.

BTW - RT also built essentially the same chrono in a Lemania 5100 version, with count-down bezel - very nice, not easy to find, and it'll cost you about £650 (auto on the left, blue dial quartz on the right):

I did a review on the quartz model a few years ago - here:http://horologyclub.com/forum/viewto...53fa3f#p724585

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie
    Seiko, seiko, seiko, nothing else comes close at this price IMHO.
    I've seen, somewhere on these fora, someone say that Citizen use the same movements and are better built. I quite like the look of the Citizen BL5350-59L - any thoughts on that one?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ringnut
    I love my edifice £250 ish
    sorry bad photo

I must admit, I like it too - and the radio time sync would definitely satisfy the OCD side of my nature!

Cheers - Adam...

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf
    If you are keen on the Strela, one on ebay right now, on a bracelet and from (IMO) a good seller (its Juri Levenberg who wrote the book on Russian watches)
    That is a gorgeous watch. I haven't firmly decided if I prefer the chunkiness of, say, some of the Seikos or the beautiful lines of this Strela for the watch I'm looking to buy now - either way, if I don't get one of these now, it's definitely going on my wish-list.

Out of interest, if you've ordered from Juri Levenberg, can you tell me if you get charged extortionate import duty (and/or VAT) on a watch ordered from him?

Thanks - Adam...

Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies - lots to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    If you like the PRS-17C, you'll love the Revue Thommen Airspeed Quartz Chrono.
    You're right, HappyJack, I do. I'll have to have a bit of a dig around to see if I can find some second hand ones...

Something else has caught my eye - well, two watches have:
    Hamilton Khaki Scuba Chrono Quartz
    Hamilton Khaki ETO

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Cheers - Adam...

+1 for the Tissot, but the Revue Thommen is very tempting also.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by adamthekiwi
    Thanks for all the replies - lots to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    If you like the PRS-17C, you'll love the Revue Thommen Airspeed Quartz Chrono.
    You're right, HappyJack, I do. I'll have to have a bit of a dig around to see if I can find some second hand ones...

Something else has caught my eye - well, two watches have:
    Hamilton Khaki Scuba Chrono Quartz
    Hamilton Khaki ETO

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Cheers - Adam...
    I've never had those models, but have had a couple other Hamiltons and, while great value for money I ended up flipping them because they didn't appear to have any anti-reflective coating and legibility was an issue for me. This would not be a problem with the Revue Thommens which appear to have amazingly clear crystals. I assume they have double sided AR coating.

Few suggestions, some close to 200 GBP some well under:

A more complicated looking face model: Seiko SNAD05

Military look: Swiss Army 241337

A rather classy looking Eco-Drive from Citizen, AT1180-05E

A Casio Edifice "Ninja" warrior: EF527bk-1a

A Tissot T0394171105700 :shock: (Where do they come up w/ these numbers ?!? I bet I'll get someone on the line if I start dialing...)

And one last one that I just HAD to add to the list : G-Shock GW3000BB-1A

Craftsman

Hey, guys!

What about a citizen calibre 2100?

The av0030-xx models come with ss steel case and sapphire.
    Look very nice.
    Cost, if you're lucky on ebay around 300$ new with shipping

BR

Max