closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heads up high Wales

Master

Heads up high Wales

A fine, fine tournament. A few more kicks and who knows... but a very good tournament.

Re: Heads up high Wales

I'm sure they would have taken that at the start... England on the other hand..... what a mess

Grand Master

Agreed - better kicking and they'd have the measure of the French and Aussies.

So many of the New Zealand fans though - bunch of wankers. Arrogant, unlikeable and a disgrace to the game. Never thought I'd say that about a country that routinely claims it's neither as brash nor rude as its western cousin.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    So many of the New Zealand fans though - bunch of wankers. Arrogant, unlikeable and a disgrace to the game. Never thought I'd say that about a country that routinely claims it's neither as brash nor rude as its western cousin.
    The Quade Cooper thing? or something happened to you that you should make such a strong statement? (or perhaps reading some of the appallingly bad rugby journalism here in the UK :P)
    The Quade Cooper thing has been over-hyped by the media tbh. He actually received applause as he was taken off the field.

Craftsman

Agree with OP. A great tournament for Wales and, with a young side, perhaps the start of something special!

Craftsman

A fine match but not sure I'll agree to a fine tournament. Today's game was a great display of Rugby from both sides. Australia were unlucky with their injuries so early in the game, Wales' kicking let them down. If Sunday's match is played with the same spirit it'll be a fitting end to a so-so tournament.

France will be getting my cheers but only just, All Blacks seen to have lost their invincibility of late and French winners will add a little something to the 6-Nations come February.

Craftsman

It has been a really exiting World Cup for Wales and it's been great to see everyone getting behind them.

The core of the team is now very young and hopefully there's enough there to convince Sean Edwards to stay and really get these players performing to the very best of their abilities.

Grand Master

Cooper was indeed applauded by Australians and Welsh. Given what I know of modern AB fans, especially the tribal ones, I can't imagine any of them doing the same. Sorry but that's how it is. Even Graham Henry, with that "he must earn respect" rubbish. Quade owes him nothing!

Like I said, a surprise and a disappointment, and unworthy of the camaraderie that should exist even between the deadliest of rivals on the rugby pitch.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Cooper was indeed applauded by Australians and Welsh. Given what I know of modern AB fans, especially the tribal ones, I can't imagine any of them doing the same. Sorry but that's how it is. Even Graham Henry, with that "he must earn respect" rubbish. Quade owes him nothing!

Like I said, a surprise and a disappointment, and unworthy of the camaraderie that should exist even between the deadliest of rivals on the rugby pitch.
    I'll go out on a limb here and assume you knew nothing about the Quade Cooper (NZ born Aussie btw) situation prior to the world cup? and know only what the press decided to exaggerate. Cooper openly admits he enjoys the attention and likes to dish it out via twitter.
    It is very much a 'love to hate' relationship between Kiwi's and Aussie's and to an observer could appear to be more malicious than it is, but it's really only a good 'ribbing' and after it's over we happily share a pint together.

It is a shame that you were perhaps seated near a group of AB fans acting poorly, but I was seated with a group of 20-25 other Kiwi's and we all applauded (but not to vigorously :P) him as he left. Don't be so quick to tar and feather us all.
    I hope your next encounter with All Black fans is from the other end of the spectrum :)

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BradyzNZ
    I'll go out on a limb here and assume you knew nothing about the Quade Cooper (NZ born Aussie btw) situation prior to the world cup? and know only what the press decided to exaggerate. Cooper openly admits he enjoys the attention and likes to dish it out via twitter.
    It is very much a 'love to hate' relationship between Kiwi's and Aussie's and to an observer could appear to be more malicious than it is, but it's really only a good 'ribbing' and after it's over we happily share a pint together.
    I have worked with several in the last two years, and I don't live in the UK, so am largely inured to their 2nd-hand reporting (or rather, I get my news from several more sources). I got Cooper-related stories from various Tri-Nations/Super matches so was aware of the background. Besides, I'm not sure what difference that makes to the reaction to his ill-fortune, or the behaviour of chunks of local fans in general.

The constant booing gets old, though I imagine Cooper gets a kick out of the fact that people are so sensitive about it ;). But it was a shame that friends of mine present at the competition reported cheering from a section of NZers when Cooper went down in the 3rd-place play-off with a wrecked knee. That went beyond the pale for me. Sure, it's only a minority of Kiwis (you don't have to be an AB fan to hate Cooper for "splitting" to play for the sworn enemy, although it helps) that acted like that, but then it's only a minority of English who behave like hooligans at football matches - which then tars not only other English, but Scots, Welsh and Irish by ill-considered association. A shame the rest of the world is turning out to be no better, is all I'm saying.