closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest way to own a Val 7750?

Cheapest way to own a Val 7750?

I really fancy experiencing the 7750 wobble.
    Due to a decided lack of funds this end can anyone tell me the cheapest route to ownership (preferably still working inside a watch)?

I have looked on ebay but didn't see anything that:

a) I liked the look of.
    b) Was particularly cheap.

Vintage would be my preference. Any ideas?

cheers.

PS This is not a specific WTB hence the posting in Watch Talk.

Re: Cheapest way to own a Val 7750?

How about this one on sales corner: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=192569

Thanks.
    Very nice watch but it remains to be seen whether a £300+ Zeno is entry level for a 7750.

Master

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176034&p=1783848&hilit=hamilto n+7750#p1783815

These Hamiltons were half price in the Ernest Jones sale earlier this summer - about £320 I think. Don't know if they're still available or if someone on here would be looking to move one on.

At the sale price they were excellent value for money.

Craftsman

I'm thinking your best bet might be one of those semiregular b&m super sales. Try for a Hamilton. They'd still be in the 300 pound range though most likely.

Journeyman

I think you can get a Junkers for about 200-300 pounds -> http://www.junkers-uhren.de/

Quote Originally Posted by Hedegaard
    I think you can get a Junkers for about 200-300 pounds -> http://www.junkers-uhren.de/
    They're interesting, but according to that link the model with the 7750 is over 900 euros.

When I was looking, UHR.info seemed to have the cheapest for a new one:
    http://www.uhr.info/products/en/Chronog ... R-283.html
    399 eur

Though not seen any of these "in the wild" ;)

For used, CW's C40 comes up very cheap on their forum.

Master

I think any working, good looking decent condition & Sapphire 7750 will always be worth 300+ and probably 350-400.

I looked for one for a while, when I was offered this O&W mirage, I had to have it!

You can look into pre-owned Tissots. I believe their RRP is in the 500 pound range, so maybe a used one could be under 400.

Craftsman

That Mirage looks very well. Personally I don't like numerals being partly cut into by the subdials, and this gets round the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedegaard
    I'm sure, but not with a Val 7750 :lol:

Master

I sold a nice Victorinox for £300 once

Quote Originally Posted by Taff
    I think any working, good looking decent condition & Sapphire 7750 will always be worth 300+ and probably 350-400.

I looked for one for a while, when I was offered this O&W mirage, I had to have it!

this is what I was going to reccomend and I think a 7750 for 300GBP is a good price.

Just a matter of finding a design you like.

I sold one of these for very close to that price. It was on a hirsch leather strap not stainless.

300 - 400 seems to be the lowest area I've seen, for a variety of watches. Don't think you'll find anything less.

You have to like looking at what's on your wrist. Sell your soul and buy a Damasko DC56, a lovely wrapping for a 7750. :)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176034&p=1783848&hilit=hamilto n+7750#p1783815

These Hamiltons were half price in the Ernest Jones sale earlier this summer - about £320 I think. Don't know if they're still available or if someone on here would be looking to move one on.

At the sale price they were excellent value for money.
    The Hamilton GMT and a few others were about fifty percent off but I think the Hamilton chrono's were even less than half price in the EJ sale - the last rrp was around the £750 mark before they were discontinued i think. That makes them even better value for money! :)

Its definitely a lot of watch for the money as others have said and is pretty well put together, i have one that remains unworn - maybe because of that i should consider moving it on :?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    You have to like looking at what's on your wrist. Sell your soul and buy a Damasko DC56, a lovely wrapping for a 7750. :)
    My soul was recently sold for an IWC, hence the current lack of cash.

What I was trying to find out is if there is one of those relatively unheard of or obscure Swiss makes that sprang up in the 60's and 70's, like a Sabina or similar, that might be hiding a 7750 inside.

It may be that there is no such thing, but if there is I'm sure someone on TZ will know.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh
    What I was trying to find out is if there is one of those relatively unheard of or obscure Swiss makes that sprang up in the 60's and 70's, like a Sabina or similar, that might be hiding a 7750 inside.
    Can never rule that out. But remember that in its first production run (1973-1975) only around 200K were produced. Then quartz ruled the world and many smaller (and some larger) brands disappeared. So if the brands died before that, not much chance. Only if they manage to stick around until the 7750's reappearance in 1983 the chances rise.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Cheapest?

Find someone wearing one and knock them over the head.

Not recommended though....

I really fancy experiencing the 7750 wobble.
    Due to a decided lack of funds this end can anyone tell me the cheapest route to ownership (preferably still working inside a watch)?

I have looked on ebay but didn't see anything that:

a) I liked the look of.
    b) Was particularly cheap.

Vintage would be my preference. Any ideas?

cheers.

PS This is not a specific WTB hence the posting in Watch Talk.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

maybe look on elitedealseeker - plenty of nice second hand hamiltons - my jazzmaster has been going strong for six years since i bought it

Found a 90's model in Germany for £270 delivered. A nice looking mix of black & silver, completely ruined by some unnecessary gold bits. Cheapest so far though....

Does it absolutely have to be a Valjoux? The reason I ask is that the Russian 3133 movement is derived from the Valjoux movement-at least in the case of Molnia and possibly Poljot-and is found in several chronos that come into your price range.Google Russian 3133 movements and you should get quite a good selection.

Grand Master

Be VERY careful buying old/vintage chronos; they can be expensive to service and fix. Many repairers don`t like working on them and they'll charge accordingly.

I've been on a chronograph repair training course and it taught me how tricky they are to service compared to a normal watch.

Paul

Master

I have a very nice Burrett with recently serviced 7750. Gold capped rotating bezel, Blue Dial with gold sub dials, screw down crown currently on an Oris braclet.
    £375 IF YOUR INTERSTED. Can send pics just need your e-mail.
    Regards Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Slonukhi58
    Does it absolutely have to be a Valjoux? The reason I ask is that the Russian 3133 movement is derived from the Valjoux movement-at least in the case of Molnia and possibly Poljot-and is found in several chronos that come into your price range.
    Would these be automatic's then? (Not that I have anything against handwinders :wink: )

Master

All the 7750's are auto's. Martyn.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Martyndogs
    All the 7750's are auto's. Martyn.
    But the 3133 are handwound.

In some cases, I can understand that someone buys a watch for the caliber (even though I personally wouldn't), but a VJ7750? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it (except for the subdial-line out, but that's just my bad taste) but it's so common... I would consider it an big advantage if a chrono wouldn't have a 7750.

Quote Originally Posted by Slonukhi58
    Does it absolutely have to be a Valjoux? The reason I ask is that the Russian 3133 movement is derived from the Valjoux movement-at least in the case of Molnia and possibly Poljot-and is found in several chronos that come into your price range.Google Russian 3133 movements and you should get quite a good selection.
    I didn't know the molnija pocket watch movemnet was derived from 7750 or an earlier valjoux variant like the 3133 is ?

the ones I have are the 3602 with small seconds but are not chronos and don;t have date.

I thought the date variants were just the 3602 with additional feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy C.
    In some cases, I can understand that someone buys a watch for the caliber (even though I personally wouldn't), but a VJ7750? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it (except for the subdial-line out, but that's just my bad taste) but it's so common... I would consider it an big advantage if a chrono wouldn't have a 7750.
    I'm sorry you don't like it.

I'm sorry you don't like it.
    No offence, just hoping to understand why you're so eager to have a VJ7750! :)

The clue was in the OP's first sentence: I really fancy experiencing the 7750 wobble. :D

As Sir David Frost would say, "The clues are there....."

Quote Originally Posted by lencoth
    The clue was in the OP's first sentence: I really fancy experiencing the 7750 wobble. :D
    I'm with Eddy - it's not that exciting. :wink:

and yet here you are on page 3

Oh, on the contrary, I think the question is quite interesting. It's just the wobble that's not all that. :wink:

If you are going to strap a clunky anachronism on your wrist, it'd better wobble 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum
    Oh, on the contrary, I think the question is quite interesting. It's just the wobble that's not all that. :wink:
    Oh ok, my apologies.

I gather the wobble effect is a bit marmitey (Yuk. just had a mental image of my mother-in-law).

Apart from anything else though, its a big movement that you find in big chronos. Whats not to like about that?

I did read that, but couldn't stop thinking "there must be more". :)

I think the 7750 is mainly used that often because of it's reliability and that it's, due to being supplied in ebauches, easy to modify/decorate.

You could keep an eye on the Bulova Accutron 28C05, lots of watch for the money at around £270/£300 when they come up for sale...

cheers. I am actually watching a Bulova on ebay at the moment.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola
    I sold a nice Victorinox for £300 once
    In fact here it is

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111790&p=1172136&hilit=victori nox#p1172136

out of curiosity i'd be interested to know what is the most expensive watch this movement features in to get an idea of the range of products it appears in.

off the top of my head some of the chopard mille miglias use this movement and have an rrp over 3k.

There must be some hideous and super expensive watches but the smartest looking high end 7750 has to be the IWC Portuguese Chronograph, it's a tad modified too.

There is one rather cheap version.

1) Buy crappy looking val7750 -based chrono from -bay or fleamarket.*I got one (Tressa-labelled) from Spain Barcelona flea market by 250 euro.

2) Buy case (and dial and hands if needed) from Ofrei around 100 - 120 USD
    http://www.ofrei.com/page1191.html
    The diver style case is really nice especially compared to price.

3) Tricky part: Now fit old movement in the case. Can be easy drop in but most propably you need to shorten (or get new) stem.

In my case I was able to use old dial and hands. How ever I didn't like those hour and minute hand so I changed those too.

And yes; Very sporty chrono around 400 euro. It is Franken but it is my Franken.

Yes I know..... I try to submit the picture.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JP (Europe)
    And yes; Very sporty chrono around 400 euro.
    Lazy or dexterity challenged people could of course skip the DIY part and just get this :) :

http://www.uhr.info/products/en/Chronog ... R-283.html

includes an "extensive international manufacture warranty of five years".

Craftsman

Have those Uhr chronos jumped in price over the last few days since the link was last posted or is my memory failing me? Could have sworn the cheapest was €299?

Quote Originally Posted by castle
    Have those Uhr chronos jumped in price over the last few days since the link was last posted or is my memory failing me? Could have sworn the cheapest was €299?
    Don't know, but the first time I saw the UHR-283 (the cheapest of the lot) was November 2010 and then it was EUR 399.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by castle
    Don't know, but the first time I saw the UHR-283 (the cheapest of the lot) was November 2010 and then it was EUR 399.
    Thanks. A bit academic really as the chronos that I might actually consider are €200 more expensive anyway. Hard to see why there is such a price differential although I suppose having one chrono cheaper than the rest has worked in that we are discussing Uhr watches and probably wouldn't have been otherwise!