closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Gervais - the most overrated comedian in history...

Re: Ricky Gervais - the most overrated comedian in history...

Quote Originally Posted by europa
    Stuart Lee talking to estate agent... genius...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP39lZ1nxw4
    Stewart please :)

YES!

The Office was comedy genius - so good the even the American [s:8ybdpur2]rip-off[/s:8ybdpur2] version is funny. I don't get the impression that Gervais is a particularly nice person, but I do find him highly amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Had to look up Stewart Lee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs

He hates "The Hamster Hammond...more than any person ever alive....and more than any fictional character....more than Skeletor! :lol:

:mrgreen:

Low key. Brilliant.
    Stewart went to the same school as Richard Hammond, at the same time too. Pleased you liked his act.
    I've been a fan of Stewart Lee since TMWRNJ. His latest TV vehicle is excellent too.

Richard Hammond shares my birthday, the same year as well.

I thought The Office was excellent, as was Extras. I never liked Ricky Gervais when he was on xfm before The Office and I've not liked anything he has done since Extras. Oddly I never found Monty Python's Flying Circus particularly funny (wrong generation perhaps?), although most other things they've done I thought were very good.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Craftsman

it's the irritating, over used laughter that gets to me with RG. total opposite of paul merton who never cracks a laugh at his own jokes

I don't mind him. He was decent in the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode.

My opinion might not matter though as I find George Carlin absolutely brilliant beyond brilliance and almost every UK'er seems to completely not get him so........... :?

Master

Apart from 'The Office' and bits of 'Extras' I've never found Gervais that funny.

I recently saw Stephen Merchant at my local arts centre doing a low-key gig of new material in preparation for his tour. Dragged Mrs Rah along who was very reluctant and told me she can't stand him.

He was fantastic - funniest thing I've been to in ages. Mrs Rah was in fits of laughter throughout. Well worth catching him if you can.

He's a superstar in comparison to Lenny Henry

Quote Originally Posted by anton863
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Can I ask which comedians you naysayers find funny?
    Billy Connolly
    Peter Kay
    Stewart Lee (my cousin)
    Putting peter kay in with those two made me die a little inside :cry:

Your cousin is a genius btw!

Why? Peter kay is outrageously funny.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Can I ask which comedians you naysayers find funny?
    Billy Connolly
    Peter Kay
    Stewart Lee (my cousin)
    Putting peter kay in with those two made me die a little inside :cry:

Your cousin is a genius btw!

Why? Peter kay is outrageously funny.
    I think you mean Peter Kay WAS funny.

He's done nothing new for years now and just keeps rehashing his old material.

have to agree i think he is a wnkr. it's that false smile that he obviously practices in front of a mirror everyday that get's me. don't think he is funny either.

Master

Gervais is ok as a comedy writer but I agree he is not the best comic. I'm a big Milligan fan and I also like Eddie Izzard who is more of hard-core comedian who has worked hard to hone his craft, but he's been relatively quiet in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot
    Gervais is ok as a comedy writer but I agree he is not the best comic. I'm a big Milligan fan and I also like Eddie Izzard who is more of hard-core comedian who has worked hard to hone his craft, but he's been relatively quiet in recent years.
    Sorry - but apart from The Office and Extras, he's not even much of a comedy writer - especially on his own.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot
    Sorry - but apart from The Office and Extras, he's not even much of a comedy writer - especially on his own.
    I'd take the royalties from just these two any day. But I take your point.

I think it's quite annoying that both Ricky and Steve milk the podcasts for so much, when the only good, funny content is by Karl. They're literally based around the two of them asking him questions.
    Idiot Abroad; great laugh but because they're not in it.

I do often wonder what is in the background i.e. if they write stuff for Karl, etc.

Ricky is ok with some jokes but sometimes just arrogant, wanting to sound "well-read" when he simply regurgitates the same quotes and names. Steve Merchant is just not funny in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Chr1stof

Ricky is ok with some jokes but sometimes just arrogant, wanting to sound "well-read" when he simply regurgitates the same quotes and names.
    That sounds just like Paul Ross, another overated twonk.

I've linked this before, and I'll link it again - the pen scene from Extras. If you don't think this is funny, then you're just too grown up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXtn7z89 ... re=related

I wish he'd stop wearing tight black t-shirts - now black is supposed to be 'slimming' - but by jimmney, he's still looks a fat twat. Sorry to come over all Gok Wang or what ever his name is :D

Master

Should comedians make you laugh? If that is the criteria then I think we are in something of a trough at the moment. A wry smile seems to be about all I can muster and then only very occasionally. I never got The Office at all and Gervais' whole schtick is merely irritating for me.

Master

...I just can't stand the guy, or his work (after 'The Office' and 'Extras'). He's really just NOT FUNNY!! :angryfire:

His popularity and Deification in the States is a mystery to me. I can only imagine that it's a case of Emperor's New Clothes - I bet loads of the Hollywood Glitterati probably agree with me - but are too afraid to speak out incase they are the only ones just not 'getting' this comic genius from across the Pond. A string of cr@p films to his name, and nothing original anymore.

Please - WAKE UP PEOPLE!! :mrgreen:
    I find him to be the single greatest comedy talent from the last decade or so. It's fine not to find his stuff funny or entertaining, but to assume that others are simply pretending he's funny just because you don't get it yourself is risible.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by europa
    Stuart Lee's your cousin, awesome - he is sublime, the 'talking to estate agent' on the phone piece he did was genius.
    Another Stewart Lee fan here - very funny man indeed.

A better writer than performer without doubt. I don't know why. Perhaps it's his silly giggle or his slappable face and greasy hair?

Seen him live on fame and wad pure class, nearly wet myself

Master

But he's no Richard Pryor, now he was a great comedian

Eddie murphy's delirious is the best stand up routine I've seen.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
    But he's no Richard Pryor, now he was a great comedian

Eddie murphy's delirious is the best stand up routine I've seen
    +1 :P

Craftsman

ricky gervais just doesn't do it for me either, but each to his/her own.

to give him his due though - he's a *lot* better than i would ever be at standup.

i do enjoy eddie murphy though :D

Derek and Clive, I cannot believe they havent been mentioned yet

After Extras he disappeared up his own arse in a blaze or smugness.

Marmite man....... personallly I don't care much for him.
    Riding on the back of Karl Pilkington at the mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbo
    Karl Pilkington is really something, what a character! I only know him from An Idiot Abroad and he is really one of a kind.

Ricky Gervais... Is that the guy who laughs really hard all the time? :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbo

I think it's the other way round. :?

Each to his own but I've never, ever found him the least bit funny.

Master

agreed, my friend loves hime but I really cant see any appeal whatsoever....

He's certainly no Carlin.

Im the opposite, I think hes a genius and The Office, Extras and probably Lifes To Short will be remembered up there with Faulty Towers and the kike.

Forget the Pilkington experiment, just a bit of fun for them since nthe XFM days, and the Hollywood fodder, just paydays and closet digs at religion. His stage work is good but the real gems are the TV series and very early podcast, utter brilliance imho.

I also admire his stance on sticking with an anti-religion position despite the shit he gets, very difficult subject to approach and he sticks with it. Despite that he got scammed by a great spoof site, LandoverBaptist, he got out smarted.

Master

Further proof he is a knob http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15365744

I Can't stand the smug prick!........and the staged, scripted and rehearsed idiot abroad concept.........Tv for the brain dead.....

Count to 10.........oooooowsa

Master

Ricky who? :lol:

I liked the concept of Idiot Abrioad but the execution is poor... Gervais ridiculing someone for doing crap things is boring

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    ...I just can't stand the guy, or his work (after 'The Office' and 'Extras'). He's really just NOT FUNNY!! :angryfire:

His popularity and Deification in the States is a mystery to me. I can only imagine that it's a case of Emperor's New Clothes - I bet loads of the Hollywood Glitterati probably agree with me - but are too afraid to speak out incase they are the only ones just not 'getting' this comic genius from across the Pond. A string of cr@p films to his name, and nothing original anymore.

Please - WAKE UP PEOPLE!! :mrgreen:
    I find him to be the single greatest comedy talent from the last decade or so. It's fine not to find his stuff funny or entertaining, but to assume that others are simply pretending he's funny just because you don't get it yourself is risible.
    Sorry - just saw your post.

You are either joking, or are a complete moron. :) Because only a moron would describe Ricky Gervais as 'the greatest comedy talent of the last decade'.

After a search on the forum, I thought I would rejuvenate this ancient post after having watched Ricky Gervais’ new stand up gig; Supernature.

For years I was anti Gervais. I used to like Idiot Abroad, but Gervais and Merchant were the worst part of the show. I tried a few other shows of his and never found anything remotely entertaining or funny. Then I watched Afterlife and thought it was brilliant, I loved the juxtaposition of terrible sadness alongside irony and inappropriate humour.

I have just watched Supernature. It is without a doubt one of the funniest things I have seen or heard ever. I loved it and really enjoyed the controversial nature of the act, but agree with him that it is not intended to offend or be anything-phobic, but is just wicked humour and challenging cancel culture. Yes, it is not for the terminally offended, but if you can set aside that it is not targeted at anyone in particular and do not mind challenging the status quo you might just find it as funny as I did. Well worth a watch. It has transformed my opinion of him.

Master
    Yep, it's a very funny routine. I'd give it an 8 at least.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Gervais is fantastic and like you, I loved Afterlife. I will have to track down Supernature.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by brucelee View Post
    He's a superstar in comparison to Lenny Henry
    You had a drink that night didn't you?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    After a search on the forum, I thought I would rejuvenate this ancient post after having watched Ricky Gervais’ new stand up gig; Supernature.

For years I was anti Gervais. I used to like Idiot Abroad, but Gervais and Merchant were the worst part of the show. I tried a few other shows of his and never found anything remotely entertaining or funny. Then I watched Afterlife and thought it was brilliant, I loved the juxtaposition of terrible sadness alongside irony and inappropriate humour.

I have just watched Supernature. It is without a doubt one of the funniest things I have seen or heard ever. I loved it and really enjoyed the controversial nature of the act, but agree with him that it is not intended to offend or be anything-phobic, but is just wicked humour and challenging cancel culture. Yes, it is not for the terminally offended, but if you can set aside that it is not targeted at anyone in particular and do not mind challenging the status quo you might just find it as funny as I did. Well worth a watch. It has transformed my opinion of him.
    I wasn’t a fan of his years ago but the office grew on me and I enjoyed extras. Not really watched much of his since but watched Afterlife recently and really enjoyed it. Downloaded supernature to watch on a plane earlier this week. Really funny

Master
    I think his standup is great . Not as good as Izzard but still uo there .

Never been a fan of his actingroles including The Office and Extras and I usually avoid his Hollywood stuff.

I’m a bit taken aback by some of the petsonal comments towards him on here though.

He’s definitely not a “prick” and is very nice to everyone generally in my experience.

If you find some of his jokes “in poor taste” remember its a joke and anything is fair game and he is professional comedian .

Getting offended by comedians is like being annoyed you got wet on the log flume. Just don’t take the ride in the first place .

Ricky Gervais - the most overrated comedian in history...

I like the bloke, most British slap stick humour is not me, the Office was so different and spot on cringe comedy, watched a bit of afterlife which I enjoyed with its dark humour.

I have seen some of his stand ups which really do offend if you want to be offended, personally, I like someone saying things that are now seen as offensive, makes a massive change to the snowflake world it’s becoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Getting offended by comedians is like being annoyed you got wet on the log flume. Just don’t take the ride in the first place .
    This made me laugh. I went on the log flume with my son a few weeks ago and I was expecting a few gentle splashes. We were drenched thoroughly. I was quite annoyed and shocked! My wife found it hilarious of course.

I liked Office but have not seen RG stand up. I have also watched first season of After Life which I thought was good.

I think RG is very talented.