closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cheapo seiko divers advice required

Cheapo seiko divers advice required

I have been looking at the 007 on Creation Watches site, I know there is a lot of love for this watch in certain corners of this site.

However I notice that they also sell a '5' diver
    Seiko 5 diver

The 5 seems to tick more boxes for me, 45mm, oyster bracelet and see thru back.
    What do people on here think of the difference between the 2? Is one a better movement or higher quality? Any comments welcome.

Re: Cheapo seiko divers advice required

Isnt this the 007?

BTW 007 for me every time.

Craftsman

You were looking at the wrong watch - easy mistake, as they 'do' all look very much the same !!

This is the 007;

http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...watch-837.html

The 013 is slightly smaller that the 007. Kinda like how the mid-size Omega SMP is to the full-size Omega SMP.

Personally. I think that they're all very nice. If you want a little security against depreciation should you want to flip it, then go for the 007 - purely due to its popularity.

Now edited with the right watch link!

Craftsman

...and to answer your question better :)

The 7s36 movement is indeed better than the 7s26 movement but really there's not much in it. they both share the same weak-point in the design of the auto-winding mechanism. basically it wears over the years and isnt as robust as those you see in the ETA movements. however, i'm talking 5 years wear, and a simple service will put that right.

I'm not 100% sure but you might be able to get the see-thru back for the 007. worth checking.

Finally, you can also get the Oyster bracelet and fit it to the 007.

The question is that by the time you've replaced the bracelet and the case-back, its not really a 007 anymore lol

If you really want the bracelet and the see thru back, then go for the SNZF17K1. Its a bloody nice watch!

The 5 might look like a nice watch but quality will be poor comapred to the 007, and it isn't an ISO6425 compliant diver. The 007 is.

Quote Originally Posted by spickles72
    I have been looking at the 007 on Creation Watches site, I know there is a lot of love for this watch in certain corners of this site.

Seiko 5 diver

What do people on here think of the difference between the 2? Is one a better movement or higher quality? Any comments welcome.
    The 5 is only 100m WR. Not really a diver, more of a multi-purpose with a bezel. Modern divers start at 200m.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman

Personally I prefer the Seiko 5, but I would say that as I have that model in blue. :lol:

No doubt that the 007 seems more desirable on here- judging from resale values of the 2. The one thing I would comment is that the 5 is only 45mm including crown- the actual bezel is 42mm. The lug to lug distance is just a tad under 50mm so it doesn't wear as a big as other divers.

Master

I would go for the '007.

The '5' isn't ISO rated. The case finishing doesn't appear to be as good as a '007. Reviews I've read of this watch say the bracelet isn't up to much; which accords with my own experience of '5's. They often have apparently solid links, which are actually folded ones which have been welded-not usually visible in stock photos, but noticeable in the flesh-they feel much lighter and more rattly than solid links.

You will not regret buying a '007. You are likely to want to upgrade the '5' at some point.

I read a review once of a Seiko 007 vs Omega Seamaster top reivew, i think this review got me into watches more than anything else. Of course the SMP won biit the Seiko came very close on a lot of scores and won on some ie lume. But the Seiko won big time on bang for buck.

I have since had a load of 6105's 6306's 6309's SBCM023, SBDD001,Tuna 007,Sami Yelow dial,Marine Master M300 all dur to that review !, but never a SMP but i will for sure.

007 has a screw down crown....I don't think the 5 has.
    May be worth bearing in mind.

Craftsman

I'd go for the 007 personally for all the reasons above.

Actually, I went for the 009 as I wanted a bit of colour :D

I really like the SKZ327K1. I think it's an exceptionally good looking watch for not very much money. It comes in various combinations. Google it.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

I really like the SKZ327K1. I think it's an exceptionally good looking watch for not very much money. It comes in various combinations. Google it.

john
    That is lovely but a bit more than I wanted to spend. They seem to be about £150 plus

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd

I'm not 100% sure but you might be able to get the see-thru back for the 007. worth checking.
    You can get a transparent caseback on a 007, see link below. I wouldn't though, I just find them a bit silly on a diver, but that's just my personal opinion...

http://www.10watches.com/apps/websto.../319415?page=1

I would personally go for the 007, it's a classic in its own right, great watch, incredible value for money

Blog Entries

Be sure to get in touch with Rob from http://www.monsterwatches.eu/eu/index.php/home Rob is a great guy and I'm sure he's more than willing to help you with your search.

Menno

Journeyman

If u want a classic piece of seiko , get a Planet Monster with sapphire glass and an oyster bracelet. It is a class above a standard 007 and a classic in it's own right. Just google planet monster seiko and there are pics on the net, I don't know how many have been commissioned but you are not likely to bump into someone wearing one unless you are a regular in Striker's bar soi4 Sukhumvit Bangkok. :bom:

Quote Originally Posted by joe manco
    If u want a classic piece of seiko , get a Planet Monster with sapphire glass and an oyster bracelet. It is a class above a standard 007 and a classic in it's own right. Just google planet monster seiko and there are pics on the net, I don't know how many have been commissioned but you are not likely to bump into someone wearing one unless you are a regular in Striker's bar soi4 Sukhumvit Bangkok. :bom:
    Again, lovely but my budget is no more than about £130 I am afraid. Otherwise the missus will be on the warpath.

I'd agree with the majority here. I've had and flipped many a watch, including Omega, Precista, Steinhart, Breitling et al but the one that never comes close to being flipped is the 007 that I'm wearing now. Great weight and size ratio, nice and clear dial, great workhorse of a movement (point taken about the 5 year service thing) and they look great on loads of different straps - mine's been on a super-oyster (get one from Will Jean - fantastic), jubilee, Z22, loads of natos and a leather.

Got to be the best value diver around - forget the gimicky caseback and go for one, you won't be disappointed.

David

Depends whether you want a "divers" watch or a "divers style" watch. If you want a "divers style" watch then buy the one which you like the most. If you want a true "divers" watch then, as has been stated, the Seiko 5 does not meet the ISO specification so buy the 007.
    In either case my personal choice would be the 007.
    Hope this helps.
    Kind regards
    Dave

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by joe manco
    Again, lovely but my budget is no more than about £130 I am afraid. Otherwise the missus will be on the warpath.

I bought my planet monster on here for about 150, (in the days when u could buy and sell unrestricted on here with <250 >50 posts aaahaaarm!!!) it is worth paying the extra up front when new, u will regret not getting a sapphire on it straight away coz it is what makes the watch imho, ask anyone who has the top quality sapphire that harold fits as standard when they are newly commissioned. As Clarkson would say in his manic hyperbole it turns a 'trys hard but could do better' into a 'hard as nails doesn't need to try too hard, or even at all.'
    QED Simples.....oh and btw if you are ever in Sukhumvit drop into Strikers on soi 4 and if u can tag me I'll buy you or any other forum member, a drink......of my choosing, of course, and it will be Thai whiskey, with obligatory salmon sushi, as long as its before midday, after that u will be on white russian with a a packet of planters nuts if u r lucky. Happy hunting. If ur budget will stretch to 150 I may be tempted to let mine fall, as I can get a Technomarine P1 new for not much over 400 gbp and that is where the smart money would be if I can coral it in the next week around cashing up time.

For me, the 007 every time.

Anyone have experience of Creation?

I'm thinking of a purchase from them.

Can you see that thing ahead of you? It's a slippery slope.

Seiko Divers, very dangerous. Once you have an 007 and a '5' (and you know you will), there are lots of others, then the mods, then you'll want a 6105, then a 6217...

May as well just give all your money to your favourite Seiko dealer right now and be done with it...

Where are you based? There's a watch fair in Birmingham later this month and I always pick a couple of Seiko's up at these events for reasonable money, either for parts of for modding, although sometimes they're good enough to keep standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Austyn
    For me, the 007 every time.

Anyone have experience of Creation?

I'm thinking of a purchase from them.
    I got a quartz Seiko chrono from them. No probs at all. Great service.

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne

Seiko Divers, very dangerous. Once you have an 007 and a '5' (and you know you will), there are lots of others, then the mods, then you'll want a 6105, then a 6217...

May as well just give all your money to your favourite Seiko dealer right now and be done with it...

Where are you based? There's a watch fair in Birmingham later this month and I always pick a couple of Seiko's up at these events for reasonable money, either for parts of for modding, although sometimes they're good enough to keep standard.
    I know what you mean, find myself searching EBay when I should be working!

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne

I know what you mean, find myself searching EBay when I should be working!
    I sometimes find myself working when I should be surfing eBay :)

Cheapo seiko divers advice required

I got my Orange Monster from Creation, no problems at all and have so far not had a bill for duty

Master

5's have amazing reliability. I've seen them run for decades without a service! :shock:

Seiko 5 diver

ive had both of those and the 007 is in a different class imho in terms of solidity and general feel
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I think it's fair to say that you'll be pleased with either of them. The 5 is generally regarded as a lesser watch, but that doesn't mean it's bad - it isn't, it's a damn good movement (or movements, more precisely) and as has been stated above, it will run reliably and accurately for many years.

Really depends what you intend to use it for, if you're getting seriously wet, the choice is made for you, if that's not the plan then it's a question of personal choice, neither watch is a bad one and neither will get you sneered at by your favourite gang of WIS's

Master

I do like the look of the 5 :)