closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The best watch - Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

The best watch - Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

Thanks for reading this piece of crap review - sorry it's so shoddy, but I'm in the process of finishing most of my WIS connections and burning my bridges - I haven't done a review for a while (if ever?), and this is the best I can manage with a fractious 2 year old and a howling wife. (Or is it the other way round?)

This is a Grand Seiko GMT SBGE001. It's the best watch in the world, in that any watch has to be the best watch for its owner. (Allow me to digress, or explain, or something. I would love a Lange & Sohne Lange 1 Time Zone (there are several people I would happily kill for one) but a) seriously, have you seen the price? b) leather defeats the purpose of a travellers' watch for me - I get sweaty, and keep the watch on in the shower, c) it's solid gold, and I'm under 40, and d) see a). Seriously, do you know how much they cost? Pay attention.)

This is the best watch in the world for the following (completely arbitrary) reasons.
    - Size. Seiya thinks it's 43.5mm, but I think it might be a little smaller, maybe over 42mm. Perfect for me. It might be the case profile that gives the smaller impression - it's smaller on the wrist, and broadest at the bezel.

- Bezel. Lovely, lovely, lovely. Sapphire over luminous material, giving the watch a great night-time signature. Bright, interesting, lasts all night. Like a date with me. Or something.

- Lugs. Lovely shape to them. Gentle, polished downward curve. Drilled, of course - all sports watches should be drilled. It works on a bracelet, but I haven't played with straps yet - I think it won't work. Maybe a padded leather with red stitches, but nah, I'll stick to metal.

- Construction. Hard to show in a photo, so I won't bother. It's a very solid watch, and the feel, the heft, is lovely. It feels tough and dependable, and I want that from a watch. Crystals (including the bezel) are sapphire, lovely screw-down crown, etc.

- Accuracy. Shit-hot. It's a Spring Drive, and I defer to John's wonderful write-up. click here. And if you haven't read it already,

My watch has been serviced recently by Seiko Japan, and is currently gaining 10sec. A month. That'll do, pig, that'll do.

- GMT. Hour hand adjustable in one hour steps, without hacking the watch. I'd always had a thing for GMTs, and this is the correct operation.

Is that it? Probably not - will have forgotten something. Er... the bracelet has no micro adjustments, but includes 2 2/3 links, allowing 1/3 steps of adjustment. so it fits. Lume is great. Plus, I'm wearing something different, and it's great. So there. But don't buy one. I like being part of an exclusive club.

Re: The best watch - Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

I'm lovin' that & I think "shit hot" just about sums up everything I needed to know!

A nice and interesting review. Not sure I would get one, but looks like it'll be a worthy item for divers' watch collectors.

Journeyman

I had the luck to handle one and one word comes to mind. QUALITY. Seiko did its best with this one. Thanks for the review.

If it had the date at 3 and no power reserve it would be perfect. Somehow for me Seiko always (with the exception of the MM300) manage to make a really lovely design and then realise it's too close to perfection and stick something odd on it. I don't need a power reserve, a watch of that price and quality needs to stay charged without me having to know about it. Is there any reason for the date at 4?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    If it had the date at 3 and no power reserve it would be perfect. Somehow for me Seiko always (with the exception of the MM300) manage to make a really lovely design and then realise it's too close to perfection and stick something odd on it. I don't need a power reserve, a watch of that price and quality needs to stay charged without me having to know about it. Is there any reason for the date at 4?
    Quite right. They always make something great and then screw it up. Looking at Seiko is always a matter of "Oh, lovely! If only...". There always is an if only. I hate the power reserve as well. Date not-at-3 is not an issue for me, I prefer it not to remove an index, but if you do not have it at 3, then put it at 4:30, not at 4! At least missing lume at 3 helps readability at night a bit, 4 might be a bit confusing.

That said: it is still a lovely lovely watch. And the review is even better, thanks for sharing :)

I was looking at the spring drive website earlier on, and that power reserve is on almost all the watches... Puts me off the design as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tw99
    I was looking at the spring drive website earlier on, and that power reserve is on almost all the watches... Puts me off the design as well.
    Have you seen one without?

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Apprentice

Great watch, nice and interesting review!

Journeyman

Very Nice! Thanks for sharing!

My favourite Seiko watch ever 8)
    It's just a matter of time...

Love this watch... Can I see lug holes? If so whip of that bracelt and let's see how it looks on a NATO.

Journeyman

Lovely pics and lovely watch
    Palleurup

Been looking for this model as well. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds
    I'm lovin' that & I think "shit hot" just about sums up everything I needed to know!
    I think what's amazing about the Spring Drives are the "shit hot" movements..

Journeyman

Very good review thanks :o .

Journeyman

It's beautiful! Would love to own that watch one day

Great review, love the GMT :)

Great review, love the GMT :)