closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any rugby league fans here?

Journeyman

Any rugby league fans here?

i played union right through university and afterwards at club level, but fell in love with the the other code a few years ago.

my team, Keighley Cougars are through to the playoff grand final on Sunday versus Workington and i've just bought my ticket. winner gets promoted to the Championship (level below Super League).

hopefully back where we belong next season.

roll on Sunday!

Craftsman

Re: Any rugby league fans here?

I watch it occasionally but am definitely not a fan. I find myself screaming at the TV for the runner to offload and it just appears to me that all the runner wants to do is run into a brick wall 5 times in succession. I'll be the first to admit I don't under the rules or tactics but Union for me every time.

Don't start me on about football however, £250 000 a week and he can't be arsed to get off the bench!!

Journeyman

i admit it does look a bit like that, but it's about getting field position before something more expansive happens on the 4th or 5th tackle.

i really like both codes

Master

Rhinos for me...cant see them beating Warrington though!

Journeyman

Born in Wigan and follow the warriors whenever I can, its hard to see them struggle against the saints, hopefully they can overcome them to get us back to old Trafford .

Quote Originally Posted by nick2112
    Born in Wigan and follow the warriors whenever I can, its hard to see them struggle against the saints, hopefully they can overcome them to get us back to old Trafford .

+1. We owe saints after last week !!!

Master

Huge FC fan here... We'll be right up there next season!

Big Saints fan myself cant wait for Saturday nights game I thinks its going to be an absolute cracker could go either way.Im also a football fan but the current game needs to take a long hard look at itself and maybe a look at Rugby League to see how sport should be played its probably the most honest sport out there respect the officials no triple somersaults when your opponent breathes on you and no prima donnas football take note.

I m lucky , I get confused by both codes.
    Salford City Reds are the team I generally follow ,
    I ll be up tomorrow though at the crack of half time , hopefully watching England s serene progree into the next phase. :D

Master

What a match that was. SO glad Warrington fluffed it!!

Journeyman

If I had to pick someone to play in the final it would have been Leeds- hopefully Wigan can do it tomorrow and make a it a great final.

Craftsman

The Goat

It'll be anything but serene, I think that's what you meant, but by goodness it'll be a good match. Sod getting up at half-time, I'll be there for the preceding French game.

Enjoy the game.

Journeyman

I enjoy both codes but surely the pick of tommorow is England v scotland,what a day of sport ahead ..

Definitely Rhinos for me.

Grand Master

As a Yorky I`m a confirmed Rugby League fan. I watch Union sometimes but find it frustrating due to the frequent penalties and stoppages etc. Union's improved in recent years since they learned how to tackle and defend properly but I still find league a more entertaining game.

Modern Rugby League is an all-action sport and the fitness levels of the players at top level is excellent. I doubt whether it will ever expand to become a truly national game, but that doesn`t worry me living where I do :)

I`d like to see Union played with 2 less forwards to open the game up and and I`d like to see better scrummaging in Rugby League. I`d also like to see my local team (Wakefield Trinity Wildcats) improve a lot following this season's dismal results.

Paul

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alex
    Thanks for offloading your Coaching Staff onto us at Wakey.... :roll: ......Mr Agar's appointment hasn`t been well-received by many Wakefield fans. I`m trying to keep an open mind but he wouldn`t have been my 1st choice.

Just thankful we're still in Super league next season :)

Paul

Master

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Quote Originally Posted by alex
    Thanks for offloading your Coaching Staff onto us at Wakey.... :roll: ......Mr Agar's appointment hasn`t been well-received by many Wakefield fans. I`m trying to keep an open mind but he wouldn`t have been my 1st choice.

Just thankful we're still in Super league next season :)

Paul
    Was just going to mention that...!

Seems Agar is intent on taking half our out of contract rejected players... shame really, if we don't see them as good enough then they shouldn't be dumped on you! Washy will do a decent job for you though.

Superb display by Leeds Rhinos and deserved to win

When you tthink that Warrington had home advantage and 90% of the refereeing descisions it was a superb victory

Not bothered whether we meet Saints or Wigan in the Grand Final because on this form we will beat either(I hope)

Journeyman

crikey - result for Leeds! Rob Burrow on the score sheet again then. What a player. Poor old Wire - they put 80 past Cougars in the challenge cup and i thought we did well.

we see a few Wakeys at Cougars - they come to see how JD's doing in his first year as coach - and they get in cheap if they wear a Wakey shirt.

Master

Glad Leeds won, not often you'll hear a Hull fan say that.

The fact that Warrington picked you must make it so much sweeter!

I wonder how many tickets pop up for sale in the morning... the cocky sods all thought they were undoubtedly going to win at OT!

Off to work now not home till late tonight so Sky+ the game come on Saints

Oh and good luck to all you pie eaters :wink: Hope the game lives up to the hype.

Craftsman

Oh and good luck to all you pie eaters :wink: Hope the game lives up to the hype.
    It didn't but it's the score that counts. :wink:

[quote="dogpuf"]Superb display by Leeds Rhinos and deserved to win

When you tthink that Warrington had home advantage and 90% of the refereeing descisions it was a superb victory

Agreed, great game. Made Eng v Scot this morning look dull (what is it with all these penalties at scrums ?)

Journeyman

Well Cougars did the business today! A commanding win to take them back up into the Championship. Last time we were there we started the season on -9 points having gone into administration - so to start next season without a mountain to climb just to draw level will be fantastic.

The various playoff systems are throwing up some excellent matches this year.

Cooouuu-gars! (with a seriously sore throat!)

:lol:

Grand Master

Yep, well done Cougers.

As for the Super League grand final....who would've expected a Leeds v St Helens final.....Dogpuf maybe :)

Suppose I`ll have to become a surrogate Rhino for the day next Saturday; I`ve a sneaking feeling that Leeds could do it.

Paul

ok I admit I am very vague on the rules of Rugby full stop.. my son has become addicted and just got into the school team.. so I need to swot.. any good online resources to explain whats going on :)

Thanks

Matt

Journeyman

may be useful links off this intelligence insulting page:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 216664.stm

in particular read the pages on Tackling, Play The Ball, Infringements and Offside

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshearer
    may be useful links off this intelligence insulting page:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 216664.stm

in particular read the pages on Tackling, Play The Ball, Infringements and Offside
    Maybe a few refs should read this too :D

Paul

Ol' Faithful Hull FC Fan here.

I just do not understand how some idiot prefer Union ? I played Union and had a great time but its dull as dishwater as a spectator sport - expecially compared with RL. Each and every RL game is engaging.

[quote="sheepshearer"
    Keighley Cougars are through to the playoff grand final on Sunday versus Workington[/quote]

Do you remember Brian Jefferson ?
    They were called Keighley RLFC then and he was the star player.

Grand Master

[quote=hopak]
    Quote Originally Posted by "sheepshearer"
    Keighley Cougars are through to the playoff grand final on Sunday versus Workington[/quote

Do you remember Brian Jefferson ?
    They were called Keighley RLFC then and he was the star player.
    I remember Jefferson playing at Keighley....that's a long time ago, in the days when most teams had a few good 'uns. Now all the good players end up at a few top clubs :( .

I haven`t seen a match at Keighley since 1972 when I supported Dewsbury as a young lad.

Paul

Journeyman

Jefferson before my time - i'm a recent convert to the code.

what about Rob Burrow on Saturday for Leeds though eh? compare that match with England's woeful union effort against the frogs.

Grand Master

Yep, great performance from Rob Burrows. There are rumours that he's not staying at Leeds but I find that hard to believe after Saturday's performance.

One of the best finals I`ve ever seen...and I`ve seen a few. A great advertisement for modern Rugby League. Very few errors from either side despite the conditions, and very few penalties. By contrast, the Rugby Union internationals games look very mediocre.

Well done Leeds

Paul

Had a season ticket with (Celtic) Crusaders for the past 4-years and been watching them since inception (5 years ago). very emotional day against Hull was probably my last links with the club - too angry (still) to see myself returning - whatever team / club takes the field is no longer my club - i'll probably go and watch the Scorpians in Bridgend instead :(

Master

Leeds......blooming marvellous. Outstanding result!

As a long time Rhinos fan I've got to say that the way Leeds Rhinos won the Grand Final was tremendous. They showed real character and superb skill to beat a good St. Helens side that had beat Wigan the week before. I think the semi final win away at Warrington was the bigger achievement yet Leeds still went into the Grand Final as underdogs.

I couldn't go because of my health but I watched the game on Sky. The St Helens biased commentry from the Sky team was as usual pitiful. Only Brian Carney gave Leeds a chance and when the score went to 16 to 8 in favour of St Helens the match was over :x Leeds showed again they are a champion team and they never give in.

Surely now that they have won the title for a record five times and won it four times out of the last five years, Leeds Rhinos will be classed as the best Super League side - You wouldn't think so if you listen to the Sky bullshit trotted out by Eddie and Steveo