closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The things you forgive in the watches you love

Re: The things you forgive in the watches you love

Planet Ocean. Rotating bezel, rachet mechanism feels week.

ish

Rolex Explorer 2, Black dial. Doesnt have a triplock crown. What i meant to say is the crown is too small. :lol:

ish

Their price!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master

The phantom date on my PRS-14. It doesn't make a jot of difference, but it seems weird that it's there somewhere.

The thickness of the PRS-14. It could do with being just a little bit thinner, even though I know it's thick because of anti-mag.

In fact, I ought to just get a SM300. But I do love the watch anyway.

Oh, and the crown is a bit too small. Why on earth do I still love it?

I also agree on the slightly irritating US date format on my G-Shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoat
    Black dial Milgauss. The price. I bought used but still :shock: All worth it in my opinion of course :D
    Oh and I suspect the movement would look pretty under a display back...

Andy
    No it won't... :D

The Milgauss has a soft iron inner case as a Faraday case to protect the movement against magnetic fields. This makes a Milgauss a Milgauss, and used to make an Ingenieur an Ingenieur :roll:

I've not had to sell a watch because I didn't like it or some feature of it. Money was the motivation (the need for it). robbie

In a watch I love - anything, even timekeeping!

Cheers,

Andy

Master

That the are autos and stop after 40 hours and I have to re-set the time and date.
    The crown doesn't always screw in without persuading.
    Timekeeping a bit off.
    But I love them all for what they are...

...if I want to know the exact time I use my phone

Journeyman

Breitling Aerospace:
    The fact that the upper display has no use at all, except indicating which function is active. Would much prefer the date there, and the lower module showing the full time.

IWC AMG Ingenieur:
    I can never adjust the bracelet right. A pity, since it's among the most comfortable bracelets I've tried. Come to think of it I don't think I can forgive this flaw...

The things you forgive in the watches you love

Fear of stripping the threads on cheap Seiko screwdown crowns

The green bezel insert on my LV

Slippery and non grippy rotating bezels - adios Omega Seamasters!

NATO straps, amazing in photos, shoddy on my wrist. And scratchy, even Eddies!

Hommages for watches I like but can't buy anymore/I like £100 but not £10,000 (note, hommages not fakes!)

Anything handwound, it's 2011!

G shocks. Geeky, nerdy, cheap, nasty, rubbery, too many to choose but none are perfect. So why do I still like them?!

Apprentice

Good topic :)

Sub Date 16610 - the overly wordy dial. "oyster perpetual date" is unnecessary, but "superlative chronometer officially certified" is ridiculous, I know it keeps time well, it's a Rolex. If it was just the crown logo and 'submariner' I'd be chuffed. But I do forgive it, every day!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy C.
    Black dial Milgauss. The price. I bought used but still :shock: All worth it in my opinion of course :D

Andy

The Milgauss has a soft iron inner case as a Faraday case to protect the movement against magnetic fields. This makes a Milgauss a Milgauss, and used to make an Ingenieur an Ingenieur :roll:

I could never bring myself to take the back off a New watch, brave man!

Master

The fact that my supposedly indestructible Sinn UXS EZM2B (it is) has a clasp on the rubber that is not & can pick up scratches easily. Seems a trifle odd given it's sold as bulletproof but only some of it! Lume isn't fantastic either

I still love it very,very much though & my 8 year old daughter has told me she will cry if i flip this one (couldn't care less about any others though)

for me, it's the slight misalignment of the bezel vs case of my Stowa Marine Original.
    The bezel slightly sticks out on the crown side, easy to spot.
    I was a bit uneasy when i first saw it,a bit disappointed, but 3 weeks into owning my MO and wearing it every day,i don't get to notice flaw anymore. Love is blind 8)

Craftsman

The thickness of my EcoZilla and the Benarus Megalodon.
    My work attire changed with a promotion and now they do not fit under shirt cuffs. I will have to flip them. :cry:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond
    The lack of lume (well, there's a little) on the Aqua Terra hands (previous generation--the 2500 co-ax). Otherwise it's a beauty. Oh, and the lack of micro-adjustment on the bracelet.
    I have the Chrono AT, and have to agree on the bracelet. Also: the subdials are a little too far to the center (the Zenith EP disease :lol: ) but most of the time this doesn't bother me. Still, if they had made the watch2,2mm smaller it would have been perfect.

Nice watch! ... (Yes I have the same)

When I first got it I wondered why the movement was so 'scratchy' when being wound...

ETA... 21mm lug width is pretty annoying - not many choices for replacements.

Echo the crappy clasp on Sub, my 93150 is also stretched to b*****y. Not the bracelet quality you expect on such a piece, but the watch itself makes up for it. Oddly enough, @ previous poster with Explorer II crown issues, never have any problems switching between that and the triplock Sub, the Sub is intentionally over-engineered in that department

Grand Master

Andy
    Someone else who gets it ;).

It's a nice idea for a thread, this; much more positive (and with less invective) than to start a thread about watches you don't own because of some perceived flaw, which just leads to slagging :D. And not on that note, it's nice to see the latest Ingenieur releases returning to form with proper cages, too. If only the vintage one wasn't so damned expensive.

To the "forgive" list I'll add a Longines chrono with rather crudely shaped lugs and bad lume. But head-on, during daylight hours, I don't care ;).

EDIT: missed an important word
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Blog Entries

I own the perfect watch a non date..::..

There are some interesting posts in this thread, and I've enjoyed reading through it. I don't have much to contribute, as if a watch as a small flaw, it goes. Any little thing that's wrong? Flip.

The only watches that I've settled for have been the ones where I can't find a flaw in either their design or operation!

As has been said, the lack of micro-adjustment on my seamaster is a pain, it allways seem either just too tight without the half link or just too loose with it.

The hands on my oyster perpetual are a bit thin, sometimes quite hard to read, oh and the lume is pathetic. Still love the watch though!

The 3,6 & 9 Hour markers on my 2254 being shorter than the others, I'd much prefer it the other way round.
    No micro adjustment on the bracelet which is a shame because otherwise it's great.

Forgot to mention the great looking but almost impossible to use bezel on said 2254!

Seiko Monster - the bezel is difficult to grip and has a bit of a play.

All watches with blued screws - still also have some standard ones, I don't understand it and don't agree with the "for aesthetics" reason ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad

Surprised by that one, i would have thought it's a watch you'd buy for the green insert?

Have you gone off it?

I'm with you on the seiko threads, i don't know if it's a frequent problem but i have been thinking about it. They just don't feel as solid as other SD crowns i have...

Sub - poor clasp - but still a keeper!
    Navitimer - not easy to read - pretty sure its a keeper!
    IWC flieger - poor lume
    B&R 03 - fiddly function change

Panerai - not found a problem yet !

Mark

Craftsman

I love all the watches below, so I'm being very pedantic, but there's always room for improvement. :D

PRS20 'Italian' - have to say that I wish the numerals weren't so close to the edge of the dial. Just a fraction of a cm of padding would make a difference. Still, it's handsome enough to get away with it.

Omega PO - the oft-mentioned lack of micro-adjustment on the bracelet. The main reason I wear it more often on the rubber. Also, loose diver's extension on the bracelet that I've had to tighten up a couple of times.

Stowa MO - earlier versions came with a nice circular brush finish on the seconds sub-dial. Would like that on mine too.

Seiko SKX009 - Don't like the hour hand. Doesn't bother me enough to spoil an otherwise great watch, but it could look better.

Glycine Incursore Cali dial - would prefer a traditional horizontal dash as the 6 o'clock marker than the vertical one. Also the lume hasn't lasted well.

Mineral crystal in Seiko MM300
    No blacelet in Seiko Empeor Tuna

Journeyman

What really bothers me, is a watch that cannot keep good time. Usually I wear my watches for at least a week at a time and if in that time the watch is a more than a minute off this really bothers me.

Other than that I had a couple of pretty banged up Seiko's, and it never bothered me as long as they were within the 1 minute time limit.

The small crown which was hard to use on the Blackbird was a pain, but I forgive it. :P

The matte greyish/charcoal dial on the Planet Ocean, it's nice but it would've been more striking if it was matte black :) ....and the lume would've looked better too!

....on the other hand the very intense glossy black dial of the black bond co-ax looks a bit too dressy imo. ....this would've been so much better if it was just as black but matte finished instead.

[quote=I a n]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Eddy C.":1hfuzwv9
    I have the Chrono AT, and have to agree on the bracelet. Also: the subdials are a little too far to the center (the Zenith EP disease :lol: ) but most of the time this doesn't bother me. Still, if they had made the watch2,2mm smaller it would have been perfect.

Nice watch! ... (Yes I have the same)

When I first got it I wondered why the movement was so 'scratchy' when being wound...

ETA... 21mm lug width is pretty annoying - not many choices for replacements.[/quote:1hfuzwv9]

I like the noisy movement. Kinda confirms that it still works! :)

And a tip concerning 21mm: IWC also has watches with 21mm lug width. A lot of straps are made for these watches, like Kevlar. Maybe this helps!?

I once bought 2 (identical) Omega leather straps that will turn the 2512.50 into the 2812.50. I have never worn them though… :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

Someone else who gets it ;)…
    Thanks! :D

Quote Originally Posted by .olli.

Surprised by that one, i would have thought it's a watch you'd buy for the green insert?
    Very surprising indeed… I want a Kermit really badly. I’ve made this my top priority! So if the color green really bothers you… ;)

Have you gone off it?

I'm with you on the seiko threads, i don't know if it's a frequent problem but i have been thinking about it. They just don't feel as solid as other SD crowns i have...
    Well, I bought the LV because I loved it at the time, and day to day it's actually pretty subtle, but on occasion I just wish it was black so it was a bit less 'in your face' - plus I never wear green I guess.

Have you gone off it?

Well, I bought the LV because I loved it at the time, and day to day it's actually pretty subtle, but on occasion I just wish it was black so it was a bit less 'in your face' - plus I never wear green I guess.
    Fair enough, I think I see what you mean...

Have you gone off it?

Maybe it's an idea to buy an extra black inlay?

Lack of extended markers at 5, 15 and 25 on the 30 minute subdial of my DC56.
    F.T.F.A.

The lume on my PRS-3 is very weak.

Maybe just need to eat more carrots! :albino:

There's something a little wrong with most watches I suppose. I am prepared to forgive my Navitimer. It is not its fault that I can't read it without my glasses on. :roll:

Grand Master

Some interesting comments on this thread; I`m amazed at the importance attached to the lume by some folks, how often is this feature really used? I see it as a novelty rather than a useful facility but I might think differently if I dived or spent time walking around in a dark environment!

Rattly Rolex bracelets is another one. OK, the design of the older Rolex bracelets seems a bit crude compared to some modern designs, but it's actually a very effective design that lasts very well. Old-style Rolex clasps are simple to adjust if the snap action becomes weak; usually that's all the maintenance they need.

My own personal niggles are:

Bracelets that lack fine adjustment; consequently they're either too loose or too tight. Had an Omega Seamaster that was like this and I was never really happy with it, though it looked nice. Sold it last year and haven`t missed it.

Similar theme to above, bracelets that can`t be shortened sufficiently on the 6-side to suit a small wrist. Some of the Rolex bracelets (14060, Explorer 11) fall into this category; consequently the watch sits unevenly on the wrist. Hasn`t stopped me owning a 14060....but I did sell it eventually.

Watches that are hard to read. Can`t stand any watch that's difficult to read due to lack of contrast between dial & hands or glare/reflections off the glass. Had a blue-dialled Aqua Terra that was bad for this.....sold it eventually. However, I have a couple of vintahe Omegas which are not easy to read in subdued light and a Rolex Datejust 16013 with gold dial and hands....but that's due for a dial change soon.

Finally, watches that are a shade too big for my skinny 6.75" wrists. It's the height of some watches that bugs me; I wear a full-size SMP which is relatively slim and looks OK and I also wear a Sub Date which is a tad too tall for my liking....but I love the watch so it gets worn plenty. The Sub also gains around 10secs/day....I`ll get around to sorting it sometime.

Paul

In answer to earlier points, I simply can't be bothered to source and fit a black bezel insert for my LV, plus the risk of scratching something when fitting it. I'm interested in other comments regarding lume being a bit of a gimmick - I've always worn my watches 24/7 and habitually check my wrist on first waking to see how long I can lie in! No lume is a definite issue for me - and the larger indices and fatter minute on the LV make up for the questionable green bezel!

Master

Breitling SA lume is so poor and have had 2 omega PO's and the clasps scratch easy like they are made of lead.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal
    The matte greyish/charcoal dial on the Planet Ocean, it's nice but it would've been more striking if it was matte black :) ....and the lume would've looked better too!
    Yes! Grey instead of black makes many an otherwise fine-looking watch look quite drab. And that's something I don't :evil: forgive.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond
    Quote Originally Posted by shamardal
    Yes! Grey instead of black makes many an otherwise fine-looking watch look quite drab. And that's something I don't :evil: forgive.
    Yep...I`m not a fan of grey dials either; I like a definite black. Only exception is the Railmaster which is dark matt grey rather than proper black :)

Paul

I have a grey face with black sub dial Tudor Heritage Chrono. I love it and can forgive the 45 min chrono. My head thinks it is silly. I mean my Tag Carrera has a 12 hour counter and this is pricier but only goes up to 45 mins!

Excuse my lack of knowledge but I don't know why it is 45 mins rather than 60 etc but I know it has a chrono add on to an ETA based movement, so that might be the reason? It was 45 mins in the 70s too though.

I also forgive my Poljot International for not having a date hacking feature. My fingers don't when I am winding it forward. I thought I was going mad at first then I had to look up the movement specs!

Craftsman

I still love my Citizen eco-drive chronograph even though the charge indicator can never really hit actual "full".

Cheers
    Mabuse