closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patek Philippe - experiences & opinions?

Patek Philippe - experiences & opinions?

My first introduction to Patek Philippe was from a Watches of Switzerland brochure I picked up when I was 16 years old. 22 years later, I keep coming back to the brand for a look but have never gone any further than that. I am not necessarily in the market for a purchase but it is nice to renew my dreams and aspirations occasionally. :wink: Liquidation of my current watch collection is always a possibility but would be a drastic measure. :?

We all know that Patek Philippe is one of the most coveted of all watch brands but what is the ownership experience really like? Does it live up to expectations and are there any models that excel or disappoint in the current model range?

Any experiences, views or opinions would be most welcome.

Re: Patek Philippe - experiences & opinions?

I am lucky to have two Pateks, a 5165 Aquanaut and a 6000G Calatrava. The Calatrava has been stored away for my wedding or my 40th, whatever comes first (the way things are going that will be the 40th then!). So I only really 'know' the Aquanaut at this point.

I absolutely adore the watch. I had some doubts at first, should I dig deeper and get the more iconic Nautilus, was the rubber strap a bit naff for such an expensive watch etc.? Anyway, each time I wear it I love it more. It is my favourite watch in my collection and I would happily keep it over the Calatrava or any of my other watches.

Quality is sublime and I have only ever seen two other Aquanauts being worn. One, my watch broker, who sold me my one, he has the bigger 5167 on bracelet, and another bizarrely been worn by a French tourist at Ku De Ta in Bali. He noticed mine and came over to talk watches.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by proby24
    The Calatrava has been stored away for my wedding or my 40th, whatever comes first (the way things are going that will be the 40th then!).
    Definitely your 40th.... :lol: :lol:

I have a 5296G which I wear quite frequently. I adore it. After a few days wearing the IWC xvi, its always a pleasure to pick the PP out of the winder. The white gold case is stunning in its clarity and brightness; the doctor's dial is a work of art; the see-through case-back reveals a beautiful movement.

They are not cheap, but if you can afford it, and you can find one at a sensible price, I'd heartily recommend you go for it. I am now on the lookout for a 5167, so I am clearly a convert!

I have a dream! robbie

Blog Entries

You don't wear those, you just pass them on to the next generation, so, I wouldn't know :D

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    You don't wear those, you just pass them on to the next generation, so, I wouldn't know :D

Daddel.
    Hahaha so they say. However at the rate proby24 and I are going, there will not be a next generation... Hence we're wearing them now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmilligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks

Daddel.
    Hahaha so they say. However at the rate proby24 and I are going, there will not be a next generation... Hence we're wearing them now!
    So you should, they are made for wearing, people who can't buy those expensive pieces should also be able to enjoy them :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I can't help but be underwhelmed by some of the more classic pieces (Calatrava for example) but then my tastes lie with the more sporty. The Nautilus on the other hand...

Build quality and finish is as you would expect, however some of the push fit popper type clasps I have seen seem a little on the flimsy side.

If someone were to give me that Only Watch Ref. 3939 though, I wouldn't say no... :wink:

Not trying to go against the grain here but with PP, I don't really see the fascination.
    No doubt they're nice clean looking watches and the quality is beyond doubt. From a style point of view (not every watch mind you) they look very plain with no real attraction to me.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee
    Not trying to go against the grain here but with PP, I don't really see the fascination.
    No doubt they're nice clean looking watches and the quality is beyond doubt. From a style point of view (not every watch mind you) they look very plain with no real attraction to me.
    Absolutely, each to his own. For me, a good deal of the appeal of PP is the simplicity. They are fantastically well-made; the attention to detail, fit and finish is sublime. They don't need to sit on the wrist and shout - we have Hublot for that.

Absolutely, each to his own. For me, a good deal of the appeal of PP is the simplicity. They are fantastically well-made; the attention to detail, fit and finish is sublime. They don't need to sit on the wrist and shout - we have Hublot for that.
    I agree. they have a simple finish but are built to last. They must be on the wish list of most watch enthusiasts.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by awright101
    I agree. they have a simple finish but are built to last. They must be on the wish list of most watch enthusiasts.
    +1
    A grail for many world wide

Quote Originally Posted by robbie
    I have a dream! robbie
    This is my dream too Robbie, the 5690P! :drunken:

Has anybody had any experiences with this watch? I love the original grey dial version but the price of a pre-owned example is around £40k :shock:

Master

All I can add is that I will own a Nautilus one day...

My view on Patek Philippe really hasn't changed after buying one. It oozes class in a very understated way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris77
    My view on Patek Philippe really hasn't changed after buying one. It oozes class in a very understated way.
    Which model do you have Kris and any pictures please?

Master
    Blog Entries

More than once i have had an appointment with my very local PP dealer and gone with the express intention to buy, but i simply cannot see what all the fuss about. Most are very boring to look at, obviously my opinion, and bracelet models just dont impress for the price :(

Consequently i will never own one and therefore not pass it on to the next generation 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris77
    Which model do you have Kris and any pictures please?
    Here you go:
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=189932

I have a 5146G, it's a very nice watch, flies under the radar:

...and a 5712/1A, ditto. Both are phenomenally accurate, the Nautilus in particular gained 2 seconds in a month!:

Blog Entries

I have a 5146J (gold case rather than platinum above) - very happy with it - it makes me smile :lol: :lol:

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Hi Martyn,

Love the cream dial, ideally I'd have both ;-)

Mines WG, btw, not Platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK)
    I have a 5146J (gold case rather than platinum above) - very happy with it - it makes me smile :lol: :lol:

funnily enough this thread must have triggered a dream i had last night.
    clearly spending too much time on here :D
    i dreamt i picked one of these up for the princely sum of £4k :lol:
    anyway, i was on a bus and realised i was heading in the wrong direction.
    when i got off, i discovered i had left the b & p on the bus and i hadn't got the bus number or license plate.
    it was at this point i woke up in a panic!

Craftsman

They are such classic pieces, the designs will outlast your lifetime unlike sone of the more fashionable pieces around today that will date in 5 or 10 years. I have a 5109 ib white gold and love it. Go for it you have been after one for 22 years!

Craftsman

Warren, the 5960 is truly beautiful. I've tried this one on a few times now and the attraction grows!

I was at Laings Glasgow's PP dinner at Cameron House a few weeks ago following my return from Geneva where I visited both the boutique and the museum. I really believe that PP is a brand that oozes class. It's not in your face in any way and even my humble offering the Aquanaut 5167 is just sublimely finished and is a watch that has just continued to grow on me. I think your craving for a 5960 is well founded!

At the boutique in Geneva I was fortunate enough to be shown all (at least pretty much all) the 2011 novelties including many that were in the Price on Application bracket in the brochure :shock:

I'm going to post up a bunch of pics from both Geneva visit (some of which I think I have already posted) and the Laings evening which was a wonderful event albeit with none of the minute repeaters in tow. The chance there to try on as many of the watches as you wanted and to talk with one of the PP watchmakers who was demonstrating some of the movements was fantastic....as was the food!

from left to right the 5002P, 5207P, the new Minute Repeater 5208P

side by side of the new Aquanaut GMT with my 5167

my wife trying the 7008

the 5726 - I think this is one that I'm growing to like, possibly more than on the bracelet which may be a bit of sacrilege but heh ho....

the rather beautiful 5960P in grey dial

one I thought I'd like but actually and bizarrely, it seems almost a bit too modern!?

the chocolates following dinner!

and lastly, a shot of the watchmaker showing off the intricacies of the movement that is in my watch the 5167

oh, I really should add this shot too!

Quote Originally Posted by gusmac
    Hi Angus,

I have got to get myself an invite to the next Laings PP dinner mate! :wink:

I am completely sold on the grey dial 5960P. There is one very sobering thought though - the retail price for one of these is more than I paid for my first house in 1998! :shock:

It like many of PPs watches
    but I don't like PPs service prices.

But since I never will buy a PP it don't mean anything to me
    at PP price there are so many others watches I like much more.

If a PP is your dream go for it,that is why we have dreams 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Stensbjerg
    It like many of PPs watches
    but I don't like PPs service prices....

How much more expensive are they than ordinary (Rolex) service prices if we only consider ordinary 3-handers?

patek.ch->watch maint-> serv. cost

prices in chf

Service prices

Servicing your Patek Philippe at an authorised service centre is not as expensive as you may imagine.
    Mech 700
    Auto 800

Seems on par with Rolex?
    Though, they may do the kill with higher parts costs.

can't really contribute much as i don't own a PP currently.. but all i can say is i will eventually get one! wear it, and then pass it on to the next generation.. :bom:

I'm lucky enough to have collected a few over the years, and can't really add much more to what everyone has said.

Build quality is fantastic, and they always make me smile when I wear them.

Styling is pretty much each to their own, I like it and thats who I bought them for. :) My wife calls them an old mans watch, but I think she really means that they're understated and have more of a classic look.

I've been told by my two lads that I'm only looking after them for the next generation on numerous occasions, many an argument about who gets which one in my will!!

Just got to say, if you are in a position to get one, do it, you wont regret it.

Malc

Master

I'm only a recent owner http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=173095

I spent over a year tracking down the model I wanted, and failed even then.

My overriding advice would be always try them on first and wait for the adrenalin to subside before deciding anything. If you have small-normal wrists then there are many models that would suit.

But if, like me, you are fat or have big wrists, then many Pateks seem relatively small compared to modern watches.

Likewiase, as the dials can be fairly modest in size then I tend to prefer the non-chrono Nautilus as it is much easier to read with my middle-aged eyes, and, although I love the complications watches, I struggle to read them quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM

My overriding advice would be always try them on first and wait for the adrenalin to subside before deciding anything. If you have small-normal wrists then there are many models that would suit.

But if, like me, you are fat or have big wrists, then many Pateks seem relatively small compared to modern watches.

Likewiase, as the dials can be fairly modest in size then I tend to prefer the non-chrono Nautilus as it is much easier to read with my middle-aged eyes, and, although I love the complications watches, I struggle to read them quickly.
    that's pretty much my experience, love many of the watches, love the mechanisms but they look like a toy on my wrist

I expect two of the overriding factors in buying a PP is their 'wow factor' and resale value.

even non-watch types know they are very very sought after - unlike some of the other premium watches like A Lange & Sohn.

I expect when I am 50 I will get one.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Some corkers there.

On Pateks, I don't ask for much, one of their cheaper ones. Be happy with time/date Nautilus :lol:

Tried one on, also chrono versions. Amazed how light they are, superb.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM

Very nice. May I ask where you sourced it?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    May I ask where you sourced it?
    A German dealer - can't recall which one but he advertises on Chrono24.

I'm looking in Europe for a Nautilus as well - there seems to be a lot more choice outside the UK.

Cheers.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by johnfm
    I expect two of the overriding factors in buying a PP is their 'wow factor' and resale value.

even non-watch types know they are very very sought after - unlike some of the other premium watches like A Lange & Sohn.

I expect when I am 50 I will get one.
    yeah me too, a bit too understated for me right now and too expensive but in ten years or so it will be top of my list.

I have had the privilege to of owned several Pateks over the years, the craftsmanship and eye for detail is virtually second to none.

But I would sell my Patek tomorrow, if I could get a Philippe Dufour. :D

Though good for me as a owner of a Patek, I do sympathise with anybody considering buying a new Patek, with all the recent price increases. :x

Patek are not only a great looking watch but also a good investment. I have been buying them for many years now. Take for example when the nautilus 5980 in steel was released 5 years ago it had a price tag of £19600 gbp. The current uk list is £34,560 gbp.

How can you go wrong. My personal opinion is the steel sporty complicated models are always the best investment, 3712, 5712, 5726, 5980 or anything mega complicated in gold if you have upwards of £100,000 gbp to spend.

It does make me laugh though. The latest aquanaut in steel, which has a date, tells the time in two time zones and comes on a rubber strap is £24,000 gbp. The equivalent Rolex model which is the gmt ceramic is about £5,500 gbp but you do get a metal bracelet not a rubber one.

Bearing this in mind you sometimes have to think that Patek are a big fan of huge profit. Nevermind i still love the watches........

Patek Philippe, say no more. :)

ish

...and a 5712/1A, ditto. Both are phenomenally accurate, the Nautilus in particular gained 2 seconds in a month!:

Yesss! That Annual Calendar is truly a watch to covet, PP's most beautiful piece imo. The Nautilus however is one i realllly don't get at all, yes it does look great in photo's like the one you have above live though i find it terribly dated looking to the point of downright ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwax

It does make me laugh though. The latest aquanaut in steel, which has a date, tells the time in two time zones and comes on a rubber strap is £24,000 gbp. The equivalent Rolex model which is the gmt ceramic is about £5,500 gbp but you do get a metal bracelet not a rubber one.
    And some people say that Rolexes are expensive! :lol: :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by coolwax

Bearing this in mind you sometimes have to think that Patek are a big fan of huge profit. Nevermind i still love the watches........
    All luxury makes are but vintage PP are the ones that always make the record prices at auctions and if you can afford them why not?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

From a style point of view
    ....that is the point.
    for the ones who are looking for excellency without having to 'show off', it is THE BRAND. I am pretty fons of the ultimate understatement that is a PP.

AS a side note: If you ever visit their store in Geneva, you'll understand. The best shop I ever been in, every model is available for you to try on and touch and weigh. Althugh the show-pieces are non functional (probably second choice of some sort) the cases are all genuine and the weight and feel is there. They even have a distinctive smell (although one should say 'fragrance') in the shop.....It is a true Experience....

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchman

Perfection....

Off to a Patek evening tonight, so will try and take some pics of whats down there.

Malc

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68
    Off to a Patek evening tonight, so will try and take some pics of whats down there.

Malc
    Malc, will look forward to reading how it went and seeing your photos. :)

Is it an AD organised event?

Grand Master

Got to be honest, i don't really like any of them personally, it's just aesthetics though, quality and workmanship are as good as it gets, but i hate a watch with an unbalanced dial, which almost every watch in this thread seems to have. I would probably buy a nautilus though, for the history as i don't tend to like the case shape, but again, that's me being my normal picky self :D

I'd buy a Lange and Sohne over them though, as they have the same quality, but better balance and looks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchman
    Yesss! That Annual Calendar is truly a watch to covet, PP's most beautiful piece imo. The Nautilus however is one i realllly don't get at all, yes it does look great in photo's like the one you have above live though i find it terribly dated looking to the point of downright ugly.
    Looks like a bullseye and a complete miss, then. I love both of them, but then it would be a dull old world if everyone liked the exact same thing. I didn't like the Nautilus until I met one in person at a PP evening. If you are ever invited to one, don't go!

Lange's are gorgeous watches also and i love there styling. The only problem is your money is not safe in them like a patek....

my all time favourite watch make along with longhe and sohne