timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moonwatch or planet ocean?

Re: Moonwatch or planet ocean?

Speedmaster for sure!
    Why?
    - it is a real classic
    - you will never get it so "cheap", prices will continue to raise higher and higher, it is already high
    - Omega is replacing the classic manual version at some point, at least that is my feeling looking on the multiple Speedmaster versions these days with more and more Co-axial movements with typical Moonwatch styled dials!
    Or if they will keep the Lemania classic Speedy, they for sure will raise the prices similar/ close to the new ones...again i strongly believe this is the "last" time to get it for reasonible price...

That's a tough one.

I've got both - 42mm PO orange on black rubber. A xmas pressie from the missus Was my daily for ages. Then I recently got a speedy pro moon . It's a beautiful watch. Well balanced, comfortable with a lovely weight. Love the history and quirkiness of having hesalite and manual wind in a world of sapphire and autos/ quartz. Aside from the sentimental reason the only thing that might make me choose the PO over the speedy is the date function. Never realised how much I relied on this until I started wearing the speedy more. But I guess you'd get used to it( and just ask someone with a date watch what the date is :lol: )

For now I'm fortunate that I can keep both. If I had to give one up? .......I really don't know :lol:

Not much help. But there you go. Good luck :lol:

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Speedy just a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by rowbie
    Quote Originally Posted by switch107
    my choice - 42mm PO on bracelet
    +1

I have a 42mm PO on rubber (but it's on bracelet half of the time :wink: )

Not really a chrono fan any more, so Speedy isn't on my list. They are iconic though, must respect that 8)

42 for me too! I'm a massive speedy fan but havent acquired one yet as it's gotta be brand new but now new price :(

Craftsman

Speedy every time for me. A design that has stood the test of time, with real historical significance and classic good looks and proportion.

The PO is a solid piece of engineering but in 10 years time I think the PO will look old fashioned (rather than classic) and probably outrageously large (particularly in 45mm).

If you're going to keep it, buy the one you prefer.

If you think you're going to sell it, buy the Speedy — like Rolex Sub, it's a watch that can be flipped in a heartbeat. Planet Oceans find fewer friends.

Easy decision - Speedy Pro.
    Why? Because I already have a Planet Ocean :D

Seriously though, it'd be a hard decision for me to choose. Probably PO due to the greater water resistance.

also nice on nato ...

and the last one on steel ...

Journeyman

45mm PO 8) .

I've never tried any variant of Speedie on the wrist but have tried a 42mm all black PO on a few occasions so that's where my preference would be, but I'd look out for a loved pre-owned one rather than buy new.
    The Speedie models do have that Moonwatch thing about them but, IMO, the recently/soon to be discontinued PO will become one of the all time Omega design classics.

Master

I would choose the Moonwatch, definitely.
    Still, I don't do very well with hesalite crystal but as far as I know there are some versions of the Moonwatch which are equipped with sapphire crystal (they probably are more expensive than the base model). If that's not a problem for you, you should go all the way with the moonwatch.

45mm as a daily wearer? It would be too big for me - if you are buying new you will, I'd suggest, find yourself consciously making sure you dont bang it!

I'd go for a speedy - but I'd have to have a model with a date for practical reasons....

Blog Entries

The PO is my favourite watch but I do not wear it to work. I wear my Speedy Pro or AT.

Been looking at 2nd hand prices for both, might looking into that in more detail

Speedmaster is a bit more serious and I think less common.

Craftsman

Po on rubber.. Classy and understated

Quote Originally Posted by moggi1
    Po on rubber.. Classy and understated
    Thats always the option for the PO for me. However the moon i think only looking good on steel (IMHO)

Grand Master

Speedy for me,and I'd go for the 42mm PO tbh, just sort of looks more at home in that case, the 45 just sits too big on any wrist imho.And to be fair they are 2 very different watches and not something I would like to make a choice over as they are both very appealing in different ways.........a bit like saying what is your fav ice cream Vanilla or toffee :lol: both very similar,cold but still different,but you'd have both on a hot day and enjoy them both the same for sure :wink: .

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emvy
    Speedmaster is a bit more serious and I think less common.
    I think the Speedy is a bit more formal than the PO, but they are both watches with a serious purpose/function.

Can't agree on numbers though, the PO has been around for about 6 years I think, the Speedy has been around for around 6 decades and produced in large numbers.

Can't go wrong with a Speedy IMHO

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark
    I've never tried any variant of Speedie on the wrist but have tried a 42mm all black PO on a few occasions so that's where my preference would be, but I'd look out for a loved pre-owned one rather than buy new.
    The Speedie models do have that Moonwatch thing about them but, IMO, the recently/soon to be discontinued PO will become one of the all time Omega design classics.
    It already is, at least in part. The standard black-painted aluminium bezel is rather fussy but the watch in 42mm black'n'white form does a reasonable job of aping the look of the old Seamaster 300. Only the burp valve grates. I don't see the point of the version with dark orange numbers - why reduce visibility? - and at least the orange bezel version gets you noticed - just like Maybelline New York ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Well I'm very lucky in that I've got both, a 3570 Speedy (but now sporting the correctly worded display back) and a 45mm Black PO. I think they are too different to offer a direct comparison - dive watch v chrono.
    The Speedy has all the kudos and history you could want and is able to sport a variety of straps to change the look as well as the standard bracelet (NATO works well on the Speedy too).
    The PO v1 will IMHO become a future classic and if bought 2nd hand is a 'bargain' of a dive watch.
    I couldn't choose between either, the Speedy was bought as an engagement present, the PO to mark the birth of my daughter!

Speedy for me.

Had mine 40 years, will never tire of it.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't buy a Planet Ocean ever... I just don't get them (personal opinion, that's all).

Speedmaster moonie all the way.

Journeyman

PO black 42 for me....

A tough choice. It depends on what environment you're in during the day as well. If it's office based I'd go for a well loved used Speedy Pro. As previously mentioned, going used you should be able to get both for a little bit more than the price of a new single watch.

I ve got both and there does seem to be something abut the speedie, It loks amazing on anything..Nato pretty much any colour, Leather brown black shine matt it works on, also looks right at home on ss strap. there arnt many watches that can pull this off like the speedie can

Both very nice and well build watches. My vote goes whithout saying for moon watch!,,

Craftsman

Until I had a PO, I think I would have gone for a Moonwatch, but now that I've had one (pumpkin bezel) I wouldn't go for anything else....

I sold it before joining here and miss it so much, but there are plenty of watches I want before going back to that!

Definitely 42mm PO..black bezel and orange numerals...
    Looks great on a bracelet and for casual moments the rubber strap
    is perfect.

I will not like to wear a chrono everyday. The dial id just too busy
    for routine and frequent glances.

Thanks for your opinions everyone!

Did you get some Omega ?

Owned quite a few omega's. Still deciding between the moon at the PO lol

I haven`t had Omega but I am sure they are wonderful watches indeed.

The Moonwatch is a legend and timeless classic so this would be my choice with its unique history.

From a practical point of view, I'd choose the PO (42mm black on black for me). Sapphire and auto wind is more convenient for daily use. Wearing a Speedy everyday will mean having to wind it and having the hesalite pick up hairline scratces. (doesn't annoy me but it might for others) It's my weekend watch and it stays in good nick too.

Seamaster Auto for daily wear, though I do find the PO case too thick personally.
    You can always pick up a pre-owned Speedy in future. :wink:

Maybe it just depends on which of the two you're more likely to visit, the moon or the ocean. :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates
    Maybe it just depends on which of the two you're more likely to visit, the moon or the ocean. :D :D
    def the moon then! :)

Journeyman

the moonwatch if it is THE moonwatch (correct moonwatch model/year), otherwise I'll go with a PO :)

Speedy 10/10...classic and absolutely stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by lantis
    the moonwatch if it is THE moonwatch (correct moonwatch model/year), otherwise I'll go with a PO :)
    Yep it would be THE moonwatch lol

I would go for the moon watch as I get fed up of correcting the date every other month on watches like the PO. Unless of course it is a no date version.

Craftsman

I had the same dilemma not too long ago and went for the Planet Ocean - not sure why I made that decision though.

Trying them both on side by side didn't help me at all - they both looked 'right'. I like the suggestion of getting both pre-owned :)

Quote Originally Posted by taffy mark
    I had the same dilemma not too long ago and went for the Planet Ocean - not sure why I made that decision though.

Trying them both on side by side didn't help me at all - they both looked 'right'. I like the suggestion of getting both pre-owned :)
    I tried them on at the AD and it didnt help. Both lovely watches... Definately looking at a nearly new pre-owned....

The PO has a showy feel and a chunky, hefty weight to it, while the speedy oozes character, heritage and can blend in with a casual laid back attire. It all depends on your lifestyle. I've owned the PO before but it's just too chunk for me.

FMF

I had a similar dilema about 5 years ago and went for the Speedy. 5 years on and still loving it!

It's a tough choice but go with your gut.

I'd say the speedy but always down to personal taste - can't love the PO yet I'm afraid :?

Apprentice

Both!
    If is tot possible, Speedy...

OP this review might help your decision. Just came across it.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/speedm ... 24340.html