closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1: The Singapore Grand Prix

F1: The Singapore Grand Prix

Ok, I'll start it then!

The 14th race of the season, and the first point at which Sebastian Vettel can clinch this year's Championship. According to Crofty on the Red Button coverage, he's scored 87% of the points available to him so far this season, so the destination of this year's title appears to be a foregone conclusion.

However, I'm currently watching coverage of Messrs Charles Whiting and Michael Blash giving the temporary kerbs at one of the corners their undivided attention, because they've come loose during a practice session for the supporting Porsche race. So the start of FP1 has been delayed and the session may be cut to an hour, as there needs to be a two hour gap between Friday sessions.

Alonso won here last year, but he had to work hard to keep Vettel behind. McLaren fancy their chances here, but I don't think that anybody would put money on anything other than a Red Bull benefit.

More later. Assuming something happens. The most interesting thing to have happened so far has been a display of petulance and a scuffle between two photographers in the pit lane. :lol:

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Re: F1: The Singapore Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    However, I'm currently watching coverage of Messrs Charles Whiting and Michael Blash giving the temporary kerbs at one of the corners their undivided attention, because they've come loose during a practice session for the supporting Porsche race. So the start of FP1 has been delayed and the session may be cut to an hour, as there needs to be a two hour gap between Friday sessions.
    Is Martin Brundle going to make his pikey gag again do you think :) ?

FP1 is on now, if anyone wants to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Unfortunately it's got a tad boring later. The only fun left is seeing who Lewis will take out as he crashes into oblivion again. Pity, 'cause I was hoping Button or Lewis would do better this season...
    Unfortunately i have to agree, it's not been the most exciting season. Well, apart from Jenson's win in Canada, no other race has come close to that in my eyes.

Master

Have the hotel rates come down yet? The year of the first race my usual hotel was up at over S$600 a night with the 30% government tax. They were surprised to find they had empty rooms come race weekend.

This year special hotel suites are laid on min 2k Sgd for race weekend!
    Will be watching on the telly I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Unfortunately it's got a tad boring later. The only fun left is seeing who Lewis will take out as he crashes into oblivion again. Pity, 'cause I was hoping Button or Lewis would do better this season...
    Unfortunately i have to agree, it's not been the most exciting season. Well, apart from Jenson's win in Canada, no other race has come close to that in my eyes.
    Really? I can't remember a season with so many exciting races. The championship might be decided relatively early, but that;s probably more to do with the supreme skill of Vettel. Can't take anything away from him or Red Bull, unless the RAA has been broken. Again ;)

I think we're on for a good race weekend, but then I always say that :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jbrazier
    Is Martin Brundle going to make his pikey gag again do you think :) ?
    I missed the pikey gag - please do tell.....

Craftsman

I am right here, and I am working on the F1 weekend! boo!!!!

eric

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer
    I missed the pikey gag - please do tell.....
    Classic TV moment from Brundle...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7446274.stm

Vettal all the way this week. He is on a serious high this year and is almost untouchable

FP2 on now. Basically, and kerbs which looks as though they may possibly come adrift have been removed.

Most drivers are now out on the super-soft (as distinct from supernice :D ) tyres, and are exploring the limits of grip. Which translates as "getting very close to the walls". Or in the case of Sebastian Buemi, bouncing off one and breaking the front suspension.

On the subject of tyres, the Prime this weekend is the Soft (yellow markings) and the Option is the Super-soft, with red markings. Naturally the Super-soft won't last very long at all, but will be de rigeur for the Top 10 in Qualifying.

Button parked his car after going straight on at a corner. No damage, but Jenson couldn't engage reverse gear and everything was getting very hot very quickly, so he had to shut it down and leave it, thereby losing at least two-thirds of the session.

Red Bull v Ferrari so far at the sharp end of the time sheet.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Best technology wins every time. Until the rest of the teams catch up.

I long for the days of Mansell, Prost and Senna.

Quote Originally Posted by daborg06

When Mansell left Williams Patrick Head was asked what they would miss most about him. "His driving". replied Patrick.

"Yes, but what about Mansell as a person?" was the next question.

"His driving" replied Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by daborg06

When Mansell left Williams Patrick Head was asked what they would miss most about him. "His driving". replied Patrick.

"Yes, but what about Mansell as a person?" was the next question.

"His driving" replied Patrick.
    Spendidly true. Marvellous moustache as well.

He was originally a copper I believe?

Mansell became a Special Constable on the Isle of Man, where he moved for (ahem) tax reasons (allegedly).

From memory, he was an engineering apprentice before racing full time.

when is it, I'm out there next week?

Quote Originally Posted by NickB
    errr it's this weekend, i did the same thing a couple of years ago missed it by a few days when out there with work, i do love the concept of the race at night

Master

F1: The Singapore Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by NickB
    It'd be too late by the time you get out there next week :lol:

(race is on this Sunday)

Not sure I could put up with John Watson for much more of the weekend. Please god, if Brundle & Co do hop foot it to Sky, don't let the Beeb sign him up :blackeye:

Craftsman

Love the nighttime racing, looks totally amazing

The race in Singapore is always my favorite...Hopefully the best driver will win and we get to see some action. BBC coverage is btw better than what we have here in the Netherlands. Commercial breaks every ten minutes which take about five minutes.....

How long have they been using reverse gears, never noticed this before until watching todays practice sessions.
    Those kerbs are interesting, the cars are all going to be very light towards the end of the race with the amount of carbon defusers ad under-trays they're shedding throughout the race...

Raikkonen to Williams rumours gather pace

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/09/r ... -williams/

I thought he was lazy and arrogant, but I'd quite like to see what he can do in 2012 spec F1; Pirellis, DRS, KERS

Journeyman

Could be interesting if Raikkon goes to Williams,-- wonder how much cash he is bringing and where from, his 2011 WRC season is just a tad underfunded.

I just wonder who Williams would sacrifice to accommodate Raikkonen? The ever reliable, experienced Rubens Barrichello or Pastor Maldonado who hasn't exactly set the F1 world alight but happens to bring a large amount of money with him?

This was being discussed during the tv coverage of practice today. The consensus was that it's a smokescreen to show firstly that Raikkonen is still hoping for a return to F1, and secondly that Williams are keeping their options open when it comes to drivers.

Barrichello is probably considering hanging up his boots by now i'd think anyway, going nowhere with Williams and highly unlikely to get a seat anywhere better.

Quote Originally Posted by cat123
    Barrichello is probably considering hanging up his boots by now i'd think anyway, going nowhere with Williams and highly unlikely to get a seat anywhere better.
    Wrong. He's one of the best drivers available from a technical viewpoint, and is a very accomplished development driver. It's just a shame that this year's Williams, which flattered to deceive in pre-season testing, has turned out to be one of the worst cars in their history. Earlier in the season Rubens would manage to drag it into the Top 10 shootout in qualifying, and he's still got the speed. In the right car, he's quick, and it's a shame that his talents are being rather wasted this season.
    I would personally like to see him in a better car next year.

^^^
    Pretty much what i said, he must be getting frustrated at Williams but at his age no-one else(further up the food chain) is likely to take him on.
    If Raikkonen turns up with Dollar bills sticking out of his pockets Barrachello will be the one to suffer.
    Remember Kimmi has a fair bit of experience as well, plus his age works for him...

Craftsman

It has to be Rubens to go if Kimi comes in, Maldonado has a guarenteed seat due to the sponsors.

I doubt it. Raikkonen was essentially lazy, a trait which was magnified at Ferrari when he followed in the wake of Michael Schumacher, one of the hardest working drivers in the sport's history, and a man who could (and did) galvanise those around him and was a key part of the "dream team" which with Rory Byrne, Ross Brawn, Jean Todt and the subsequently disgraced Nigel Stepney made Ferrari unstoppable in the early part of the last decade. Rubens Barrichello was a key element of that team as well, and you don't spend six years as part of probably the greatest team in recent Formula 1 history without learning something.

Post-Schumacher the key players went their separate ways, but Rubens' reputation as F1's best wingman and regular race winner at Brawn, which was only the season before last, means that he would still be on the shopping list of many a team principal.

As for Kimi - well, last week's rumour had him at Lotus Renault, but Senna seems to have done himself no harm with his performance at Monza, and Petrov brings money, so it's a similar situation to Williams - and Lotus Renault aren't looking for anybody else right now, as they're hoping that Robert Kubica will be fit for 2012.
    Raikkonen didn't do himself any favours during his last season in F1, despite winning at Spa. He managed to give the impression that he was just there for the money, and Ferrari went to great lengths (and expense) to buy Raikkonen out of his contract and bring in Fernando Alonso, who has a Schumacher-esque work ethic and talent to spare.

Regards

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by anton863
    It has to be Rubens to go if Kimi comes in, Maldonado has a guarenteed seat due to the sponsors.
    I've said before that Williams these days reminds me of Tyrrell during the final years, where a good deal became more important than a good driver.

Master

Apologies for my tardy arrival gentlemen

The mensahib is away this week, so complications arose pertaining to the whole arse vs. elbow area.

I'll sit quietly at the back and catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Apologies for my tardy arrival gentlemen

The mensahib is away this week, so complications arose pertaining to the whole arse vs. elbow area.

I'll sit quietly at the back and catch up.

We were starting to worry about you........ :wink:

Turn 14 looks like the new Wall of Champions :D

Is Button's T-Bar camera a high def or 3D camera? It's different to the others :?

Craftsman

Looking forward to this today, will stick my neck out and say Vettel for pole! :lol:

Master

I ought to be cutting the hedge, but there's qualifying on telly now. Hmmm, what to do? :lol:

I'm less excited about the racing now, unfortunately. Vettel will win the championship either today or very soon. It'll be a tough race, though, both physically for the drivers and with a good chance of broken suspension and safety cars.

But now we have the fun of next year's drivers line-up. Kimi returning? I'd like that, because I think he's a good driver but also I like his comedy persona. It will be a shame to lose Rubens, though.

I'm also curious as to what Paul Di Resta does. My guess is another year at Force India but with a clause to replace Schumacher at Mercedes when he leaves, perhaps in 2013.

I'd like to see Hulkenberg get another drive again, but I don't know how he could fit in.

What about the rumour of Button going to Ferrari in 2013?

Craftsman

He's on another level.

Master

Well that was pretty dull.

The only mild excitement being Hamilton being silly once again with his shenanigans with Massa.

Craftsman

Think it'll be a precession tomorrow really unless someone can get ahead of the redbulls at the start.

Vettel is sooooo boring! He's cant over-take (well thats a lie cos he has improved on that recently), he's the most boring F1 driver ever! Come on Hamilton! Or even Button!

Master
    Blog Entries

Its getting so boring now. Hope Mclaren and Ferrari can catch up on the down-force stakes during close season and pep it back up,or will will just have to pray for rain every race. Red Bull always have that 2 10ths to clinch pole

Quote Originally Posted by bairdyboy
    Vettel is sooooo boring! He's cant over-take (well thats a lie cos he has improved on that recently), he's the most boring F1 driver ever! Come on Hamilton! Or even Button!
    As much as don't really like him, to say he can't overtake is rubbish, did you not watch the Monza pass on Alonso?
    Big balls. :shock:
    Also, he's hardly been asked to overtake this season, he's too quick...

Quote Originally Posted by cat123
    Quote Originally Posted by bairdyboy
    As much as don't really like him, to say he can't overtake is rubbish, did you not watch the Monza pass on Alonso?
    Big balls. :shock:
    Also, he's hardly been asked to overtake this season, he's too quick...
    Yeh thats the pass i was talking about. One pass for the whole season, amazing! He's a boring winner, its sad really. F1 was brilliant last season aswell!

Would you rather he drives really slowly first and then overtake people?

I would rather it be more exciting. Its probably exciting for him. Just boring for fans.

So which tyres will Schumacher, Sutil and Di Resta be starting the race on tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek
    So which tyres will Schumacher, Sutil and Di Resta be starting the race on tomorrow?
    Good question. My initial thought would be whichever tyres they used to set their fastest time in Q2. But as most of the midfield teams were using super-softs, I imagine that's what they were on. What they've done by not going out in Q3 is save a set of super-softs, so they may be planning a three stop strategy. Paul Hembury of Pirelli was interviewed by the BBC and reckoned that the soft tyre (prime for this race) would do 45 laps, but the super soft with a full fuel load isn't likely to be very durable.

One of the major considerations at Singapore is the duration of the race - even without any safety car periods it lasts almost two hours.

Coverage starts at 12:10 tomorrow.

Regards

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by thepoetboy
    I am right here, and I am working on the F1 weekend! boo!!!!

eric

Im here to working but today we have a special deal today start early then of to champane brunch probably a snooze then the race.
    Life is good :D :drunken: :drunken:
    Rob