closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "In stock".................... my arse!!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

"In stock".................... my arse!!!

what is it with these bloody websites which say goods are in stock and then when you have bought and paid for the item, send you an email saying they will notify you when its IN STOCK, phoned a couple of them up and they quite happily said, yes sir, its in stock..... with the supplier!! :shock: so their 3 day delivery now will take 5-7 days which is great for me as i am flying back to work on monday :twisted:

really grips my shite :lol:

rant mode off :lol:

mike

Master

Re: "In stock".................... my arse!!!

Currys were great at this scam, take your money when they had no idea when/if they could fulfill the order and in the meantime bank your money and string you along until you ask for a refund.

Depends on the business but there are more and more 'non product contact' drop shipping business around these days who sell at the front end but have the supplier distribute at the back end, largely meaning that the costs are much lower and businesses dont have to carry large stock or store it.

I have encountered the poblem a lot when buying stuff online, i guess they can't keep up with the stock levels of the supplier daily and thats when it can sometimes go wong, although if they know that an item is a lead time of 5-7 days they should just say that upfont and save a load of hassle

Master

While I hate Amazon for being american shysters who are closing all our indie book/record shops, at least they only debit on dispatch and are accurate on stock levels.

Nothing worse than having an itch you think you've scratched and then it going on and on....

If I see item marked "in stock" in online shop in Latvia it means it is in distributor warehouse, sometimes even in Finland or Poland. The only who have some stock are companies with real shops.

Even Amazon are guilty of this practice (at least some of their partners). I purchased a watch (Casio) and paid extra for 1st class delivery, only to find that the order was being fulfilled by their partner who was based in USA and thw watch was stocked by Casio USA. Their idea of a 2 - 3 day delivery was from when they ordered from Casio USA, so in effect it took 5 days to reach me, which was 2 days too late. The upshot was I had to ask for a refund of postage premium paid.

It sucks, I sympathise with the OP

Yes, if supplied by Amazon the stuff is in stock in my experience. Their 'business partners' vary a lot but I have had zero problems with private sellers buying stuff like used CDs. Delivery is usually rapid.

Just vote with your wallet and stop buying from the dishonest suppliers.

Craftsman

I tried to buy a camera from Comet a couple of days ago. There were a few that were reduced because they were the last ones in the shop. I took one to the counter to try to buy it, but they wouldn't let me. They told me I couldn't buy it because it was the last in stock, and if they sold it the price would have to be reduced, and they might lose a sale while waiting for a replacement to come in.
    I pointed out that it was already a reduced price display model, but they wouldn't have it. Instead they wanted me to wait a week or so for them to order in another. So, of course they did lose a sale. I bought one from Wilkinson cameras instead, who at least knew what they were talking about. Its really a wonder those stores (Comet/Currys/PC World) haven't gone out of business.

Master
    Blog Entries

Yup - they are all at it, lying as desperate for business.

I used a small independent company offering good price for my 52"TV - bastards sent me a blatant refurb

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mat
    I tried to buy a camera from Comet a couple of days ago. There were a few that were reduced because they were the last ones in the shop. I took one to the counter to try to buy it, but they wouldn't let me. They told me I couldn't buy it because it was the last in stock, and if they sold it the price would have to be reduced, and they might lose a sale while waiting for a replacement to come in.
    I pointed out that it was already a reduced price display model, but they wouldn't have it. Instead they wanted me to wait a week or so for them to order in another. So, of course they did lose a sale. I bought one from Wilkinson cameras instead, who at least knew what they were talking about. Its really a wonder those stores (Comet/Currys/PC World) haven't gone out of business.
    Remember in my student days, the Dixons lot blocking my way out of the shop after I bought a cheapo £30 camera insisting to buy their Aftercare / Insurance. Man they were a pain in the ass after any purchase :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by mat
    I've had this countless times. It beggars belief that they can get down to the last item and not have more due in soon enough that selling the display model is not a problem.

I had this problem recently trying to get a new bed for Jnr.

Everyone had them 'in stock' but actually neither they or the supplier did. What they meant was 'they are somewhere between the factory in china and birmingham, but we have no clue where.

I even rang boots who said - "yes, 3 in stock". Rubbish, they rang 2 days later to say no.

In 2 of the three cases the low lives took payment (boots did not) and I had to fill in a transaction dispute for one to get my $$ back.

At one point I had 3 identical beds on order and 2 paid for.

Jnr now has a different bed this time from John Lewis, it's not Oak but he still loves it.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar

Remember in my student days, the Dixons lot blocking my way out of the shop after I bought a cheapo £30 camera insisting to buy their Aftercare / Insurance. Man they were a pain in the ass after any purchase :lol:

I bought a superb set of Sony Stackers with my first ever paycheck (bought an Armani watch with number two!) from Dixons when I was 16.
    Two sales assistants mithered and blagged until I just said yes to the insurance.
    They were slightly red-faced an hour later when my dad frog-marched me back in and demanded to know why they had sold the £40 insurance package to a 16 year old when terms stated 18+, and why a £300 stereo system would need their top cover when it was covered on any legitimate household insurance.
    A quick threat of legal action got me a refund and a freebie Sony turntable (which I used once and broke - but didn't want to return!) :lol:

I feel conned when this happens its so frustrating - when I order stuff I want it now!!

Craftsman

I also get annoyed buying stuff off eBay, a seller will list it as UK based shipping, but increasingly it seems to get shipped from their Chinese supplier to them in the UK then to me, so its never with you in a couple of days....

Quote Originally Posted by vortex89
    I also get annoyed buying stuff off eBay, a seller will list it as UK based shipping, but increasingly it seems to get shipped from their Chinese supplier to them in the UK then to me, so its never with you in a couple of days....
    That's happened to me on eBay a couple of time. I gave them immediate Negative feedback, which they pleaded with me to revise (even offered me a refund).

I now assume that all "revised" feedbacks that a seller has are actually Negatives, and factor that in when deciding whether to buy from that seller.

As an example, this joker has 300 revised feedbacks, which tells you a lot about his business model!