closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mercedes C class - any good?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Mercedes C class - any good?

I saw one today (Hardly an earth shattering revelation), and as I'm in the market for a car for work, was wondering do any of you own one? The usual questions, what they like reliability wise, what are the common faults, economical etc?

Think it'll appease the missus as I was going to buy an Impeza :shock: She thinks I'm having a midlife crisis!!

Cheers

Adam

Re: Mercedes C class - any good?

My work car's a 10-plate C250 CDI. It's not the world's most exciting car but as a reasonably economical and reliable workhorse it's hard to see past.

I have a 06 C220 CDI which I bought at 2.5y/o with 55k on the clock. Have added 80k since without incident except a water pump replacement and problems of my own doing (deer / motorcyclist collisions etc...).

Very comfy to ride around in and SWMBO prefers it to my old Peugeot 406 which was previously my favourite car.

I've a C180 S reg bought in 1999. Close to 100,000 on the clock now and not a single problem.

Always wanted one and no reason to change it.

If you're intending to sell it, you're best using Merc dealers for servicing. If you're going to keep it, use a local mechanic and save a fortune!

I'm on my fourth C Class since 1997, this one's a C320. Each one has been more economical than the previous one (the C240 was the worst). If you're happy with 0-100km in 6.9 seconds and an enormous amount of torque in the 50-70mph range, you can't go wrong with the C320. I don't know if all dealers do it but my dealer (JCT600) offers fixed price servicing at very reasonable prices.

Local driving returns 28-30mpg and 44-48mpg isn't difficult on the motorway.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

My previous car was a pre-owned C220 Cdi Estate bought from my local MB dealer. The worst car I've ever owned, cost me over £4k in repair bills in under 3 years and the worst part was the slimey, couldn't-give-a-shit attitude of the stuffed shirts working in the local (Taunton) dealership.

The final straw was when the paint was damaged whilst with the dealer (having another new catalytic converter fitted!). They claimed that the damage was already there and wouldn't even entertain a discussion regarding compensation.

I will never buy another Mercedes, ever.

Do I sound bitter? :evil:

I have a 2011 C300 it replaced a 2008. Only minor problems with the 08 all taken care of under warrenty, so far none on the 11.

I've just traded in my W203 270CDI. Lovely car to drive, tons of power on tap and averaged 40mpg. Never had one problem in 6 years - apart from bodywork which was the reason I decided to retire it. If you buy a W203, check the bodywork closely - all my wheel arches and door bottoms were starting to bubble.

2002-2004 seem to have been bad years for Mercedes build quality as they used ungalvanised body panels and were just starting with water based paints. Mercedes will contribute towards fixing the problems, but the car has to be less than 8 years old and you have to have owned it for a minimum 6 months.

Didn't put me off buying another though :o)

Master

I, too, have a C320. (2002) with some AMG bitties on it which I bought about 4 years ago

It had 25k on it when I got it and it's at about 56k now. It nips along , handles surprisingly well and tows my Radical like it's not there.

It's been fairly reliable - only a faulty alternator and some bushes in the front ARB

The only downside is that it's cr@p in the snow , a bit tight in the back for my 3 teenage lads and now worth about three and a half pence due to the big engine. (So my current plan is to keep running it until too many things start going wrong).

Would I have another? ....probably

Cheers
    JP :mrgreen:

Master

I have a 57 plate C200 Cdi Avantage automatic. Slow, plodding... yes, but a really nice drive. I average a fraction over 40 mpg on a daily mix of B, A and Mway roads so that's a good return for a large family size automatic.

Reliability has been fine, but as it's a 95000 mile car I won't be surprised if something needs replacing soon. Servicing is not cheap, nor are spare parts - but that's true of pretty much anything these days and you don't have to go to a MB dealer - I certainly don't. If you want cheap, you wouldn't be thinking of a MB anyway. Now the C class range is very wide - I've bought into the low performance/low cost end of the spectrum and you could spend a lot more and buy a much newer, much lower mileage car with a far higher performance if that's what your needs are.

For me the C class is a definite thumbs up. If you can live with the running costs and the fact it's not a sports car then it's fine. To me it's a good car which I bought for the price of a decent used Mondeo. It's more prestigious and won't depreciate to the level of the Mondeo and if nothing else I like it more.

My work car is a 220 Sport estate.
    Fantastic car.
    53.5 mpg average over 11000 miles in three months.
    170 BHP reasonable tax bracket.

The C63 AMG's the way to go. Show her what a midlife crisis is all about!
    My wife has a '10. No problems in the first 20k miles, except a couple flats from the dumb low profile tires. It's a nice ride, and I liked it much more than the BMW and Audi options.

The new ones look great, definitely a mans car unless you look at the CLC which my misses has just bought. Lovely to drive and solid interior... The AMG's and C55 are a differemt league...

Quote Originally Posted by jem0911
    Nice car that - the facelift has really freshened up the design - decent colour too.
    Glad you like it, as you must spend quite a bit of time behind the wheel racking up that number of miles over three months. :)

Quote Originally Posted by r1ch
    Nice car that - the facelift has really freshened up the design - decent colour too.
    Glad you like it, as you must spend quite a bit of time behind the wheel racking up that number of miles over three months. :)
    Thanks.

Yes the miles rack up quickly.
    Its very confortable and comes with toys amundo so is a nice place to be.

I had an 07 plate C230 Estate (2.5 petrol V6). I did about 25K miles in it, maybe a few more. It was OK, but expensive to tax, to insure and to service. As a drive, it was OK, but nothing more.

I replaced it with a BMW 3 series 330i Touring. It is just a much better car. Sticks to the road like shit to a blanket, costs £170 a year to tax instead of £400 and something, and it does 35-37 MPG on the motorway. This from a 3 litre with just short of 280 BHP. Don't know about servicing yet, 'cos it hasn't needed one. This compared to the C Class that need an annual service.

I still have a Merc - an SLK - which I'm not planning on getting shot of - but having been smitten by the Beemer I'd never have another C Class.

Craftsman

I wouldn't get saloon but new 2011 coupe looks pretty darn sexy....

Master
    Blog Entries

I had two in the nineties and early 2000 never a problem good reliable cars

Prefer the 3 series atm to the C Class. Had a couple of 320d (SE and Sport) and never had any issues, and I prefer the engine and handling over the Merc. Had an E class which I never jelled with, and an older C class 10 years back which was bullett-proof. Have an Audi A4 atm which is as dull as...

I have a 2010 C200CDi Saloon as a company car. It is the 3rd I've had and apart from routine servicing, never had a problem with any of them.

If you are looking at the latest models fuel economy is excellent. I am averaging 50.5 over the last 7000 miles, but some of the guys at my company with the latest, facelift models (2011 Release)are reporting even better returns - upto 75mpg on a long run :shock: and 55mpg avg . The 200 is not the most exciting car in the world, but as good quality, safe, family saloon you can't go too far wrong IMO.

As Eddie said above, the pay upfront servicing packages are good value, so worth considering if an option for you.

I have a 2010 C200CDi Saloon as a company car. It is the 3rd I've had and apart from routine servicing, never had a problem with any of them.

If you are looking at the latest models fuel economy is excellent. I am averaging 50.5 over the last 7000 miles, but some of the guys at my company with the latest, facelift models (2011 Release)are reporting even better returns - upto 75mpg on a long run :shock: and 55mpg avg . The 200 is not the most exciting car in the world, but as good quality, safe, family saloon you can't go too far wrong IMO.

As Eddie said above, the pay upfront servicing packages are good value, so worth considering if an option for you.

i think the brand new face lift c class matches the 3 series like for like, both 2 ltr engines are brilliant,
    honest john says the new c class is one of the few new cars around that he feels would do 200k miles no probs

andy

Quote Originally Posted by seikoking

Speed poster PAH!

Master

According to http://www.reliabilityindex.com/ the C-Class has average reliability. That is pretty good for Mercedes, as they make 4 of the 10 least reliable cars on the road...

Quote Originally Posted by mac83

I wouldn't get saloon but new 2011 coupe looks pretty darn sexy....
    I have just requested a test drive through Mercedes web site for the 350 sport petrol version. Good looking car in my opinion and the interior is top drawer too. 40 MPG from a 3.5 litre petrol, very impressive. Hope it drives like it looks!

Quote Originally Posted by seikoking

Speed poster PAH!

Just noticed that my previous post is shown FOUR times...Sorry...I promised I only clicked once :lol:

had a c class coupe before coming to spain and it was the bizz. diesel with plenty of power and great mpg.
    it would be wasted over here though as it now would have more craters on it than the moon. bumpers here really are for bumping.

C220 in Palladium silver is my next car....

I´m quite satisfied with my CLS 350 7GTronic

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo

Hows the 15 mpg??

Quote Originally Posted by bairdyboy

Hows the 15 mpg??
    When you buy one of these, the last thing on your mind is ...can I afford the petrol!

apart from that, the CLS is leniant compared to my 750IAL or the Porsche 911 also in the garage!

Apprentice

Not that anyone will be bothered but just ordered a C220 sport estate as my next company car.....should be coming on 16th Nov and I can't wait :bounce:

Compared it to the BM 320d touring and there was no contest, slightly dearer but looks far better and loads more gadgets and standard equipment. There was a problem with the supply of certain parts for the radios due to the earthquake in Japan so all models are now '125 Edition' which basically means you get the 'command' system as standard, although they upped the list price by £400.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdyboy

Hows the 15 mpg??
    When you buy one of these, the last thing on your mind is ...can I afford the petrol!
    ha i know, you are more worried about where the next petrol station is!!

how does 23 MPG sound to you, a guzzler?