closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any IPhone Lovers - Advice Needed

Any IPhone Lovers - Advice Needed

With the imminent news of the IPhone 5 arrival, is it the best time to ditch the 4 to maximise return and make do with a normal phone until the 5 lands? I don't normally buy in to the hype, but my 4 only cost me £300 a year ago with Tesco's, and I'm sure I'll more of less make that back atm (this was always the plan, and the only way I could justify to myself spending so much on a phone).

If the 5 turns out to be a 4S or 4GS, then I guess if I've ditched it I could look elsewhere at HTC etc.

Re: Any IPhone Lovers - Advice Needed

Don’t turn your back on Apple :wink: Apparently Apple are bringing out 2 smartphones this year; one will be the 4GS and the other will be the iPhone 5. the 4GS will be intended as a ‘budget’ phone where as the iPhone 5 will be much better.

I have basically did what you are planning on doing, I’ve sold my iPhone 4 on ebay and now using my old 3GS until the iPhone 5 comes :drunken:

Cheers.

Any IPhone Lovers - Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by cartier24k
    Don’t turn your back on Apple :wink: Apparently Apple are bringing out 2 smartphones this year; one will be the 4GS and the other will be the iPhone 5. the 4GS will be intended as a ‘budget’ phone where as the iPhone 5 will be much better.
    That's an unsubstantiated guess and I wouldn't be too sure about 2 different iPhone flavours. It does look as though October will bring the iPhone refresh however.

To the OP - yes, purely from a financial perspective a quickish sale of your 4 is the way to go.

If you think that you may wish to get the iPhone 5 (and will be prepared to pay the difference), I would sell the iPhone 4 now before there are loads on ebay from people who have upgraded to the 5/4S, or whatever it will be called!

If you find that it is too much money, you could always buy another 4 on ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by Bozza
    That's an unsubstantiated guess and I wouldn't be too sure about 2 different iPhone flavours. It does look as though October will bring the iPhone refresh however.

To the OP - yes, purely from a financial perspective a quickish sale of your 4 is the way to go.
    I am a gadget fan as well as having a love for my watches, i regularly read a magazine of this website : http://www.t3.com and it is up to date with the latest gadget info including Apple and iPhones.

Cheers

I've already got an iphone 5 and love it... :D

...sorry no...I mean I'm on my 5th iphone 3gs...mucho problemos.... :(

Looking forward to getting the iphone 5 on my next upgrade.......and I agree with the suggestions you sell the iphone 4 now .....as prices still good, in advance of new versions....

I did quite well recently.
    I had a 3GS on a 24 month contract(!) but lost it after 15 months.
    Insurance company came up trumps and supplied me with an iPhone 4 which is due for upgrade in December, perfect timing :lol:
    My head says you should sell now and make do until the 5 arrives but my heart wouldn't allow me to have to scrape by on a 'normal' phone.
    I suppose you could sell the 4 and buy an old 3g to tide you over, should be able to source one for peanuts?

Journeyman

I have to wonder what upgrades there will be on the iPhone 5, a slightly bigger screen perhaps and improved battery life. I'm sure there will be an upgrade in processor speed but the iPhone 4 is no slouch. The next big thing to my mind would be some sort of projector functionality to display visual media? Any usable iteration of this might be a way off for now, even for Apple...

My advice would be to keep the 4 and wait for the 6! I can’s see the 5 being a massive step up, I bought an iPhone4, iPad and an iMac last year and I’ve just accepted the fact that with everything Apple it’s gonna be out of date even before you get it home!

I am a gadget fan as well as having a love for my watches, i regularly read a magazine of this website : http://www.t3.com and it is up to date with the latest gadget info including Apple and iPhones.

Cheers
    I am an Apple man through and through - my house is full of the stuff - and I follow all the coverage closely. Anyone who says there will be more than 1 new iPhone in the coming months is guessing. They might guess right, but it's still a guess.

As Apple, as ever, have made no announcements regarding new product, T3 is guessing. It's one of the last places I'd look for reliable Apple news - if you want to stick to just one site for Apple news, use http://www.macrumors.com/.

None of the journos or sites who have a good track record with Apple predictions are saying there will be 2 new iPhones this year - I'll happily bounce this thread at the beginning of January when I'm pretty sure we'll have seen just the one new phone in the first week or two of October.

Cheers.

Journeyman

probably a good time to ditch the iphone 4 - but possibly not a good time to buy one just yet

will be interesting to see what Apple do for the 5. i'm guessing the A5 processor from the iPad 2 will have its life extended by going into it. that's still a whopping step up in capability from the iPhone 4's A4 chip (single vs dual CPU and single vs muti-core graphics processor). i'd also expect the screen resolution to go up if not get bigger.

Craftsman

well i'm going to keep my iphone 4 for at least another year, because i'm guessing i may need to take out a mortgage to get the five at it's release!!

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshearer
    will be interesting to see what Apple do for the 5. i'm guessing the A5 processor from the iPad 2 will have its life extended by going into it. that's still a whopping step up in capability from the iPhone 4's A4 chip (single vs dual CPU and single vs muti-core graphics processor). i'd also expect the screen resolution to go up if not get bigger.
    A5 for sure, with an outside chance of something even faster. They'll double the memory from 512mb to 1gb but they'll not mention that at all - they never do. The first tear-down will reveal all on that score.

A slightly bigger screen could be achieved by reducing the size of the screen surround, but I'll be surprised if the overall form factor increases. iPhone 5 cases that have been seen in the wild suggest the shape will become less brick-like with the iPhone tapering from front to back. This seems a strange one to me as, without seeing it, it feels like a step backwards in terms of design.

Journeyman

it may be a power optimised/die shrink A5 variant. there's a lot of room for battery in an iPad compared to a phone so i don't think it would be a simple drop in

I am not an apple fanboy but do own mucho apple products. But will wait and see the new gen iphone before ordering.

I'm looking forward to the official announcement so I can get my hand on a 4. :drunken:

Rumour has it that the amouncement on the release date is imminent, and within the next couple of weeks (although this has obviously been said before!!). I guess once the official pics and dates have been released would be a good time to get shot (although slightly less ideal than now).

Journeyman

This was talked about on day break this morning. They said to sell it now if you want maximum cash for an IPhone 4. Personally I will keep hold of mine and let the new phone get released for a few months. Then buy one once all the faults have been ironed out and iPhone 4's will still be fetching reasonable money.

Hopefully the 5 will have better signal quality - even with a case my 4 is definitely worse than the 3GS I had before

Blog Entries

I am trading in my HTC Desire next week for my an IPhone 4. This will be my first IPhone and I am looking forward to its arrival after reading lots of great comments and reviews.

Apple customer service is simply the best customer service there is! I have stood in queues for each new iphone, sad really!! And when the iphone 5 is out, i will be doing the same!

my advice... keep the iPhone4 until you see the new model. The great thing about apple devices is that they keep their value. There will not be a big drop if any in resale value after the iPhone5 release.

Also check out the New Nokia N9. Its due out in a few weeks and looks a great phone. http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/noki ... -hands-on/

Master
    Blog Entries

Well there will def be a new phone in the next month or so, the big question is wether it will be an iPhone 5 or simple a 3GS Style small upgrade (or possibly both)

Personally I would sell around now but its not a big deal if you dont as like said above, Apple stuff always sells and keeps a good price

I've always used apple computers and never a PC so it seemed pretty logical for me to get an iPhone when they first arrived on the scene. I've literally just waved goodbye to my 3GS in favour of a 4 - I'm not one that has to have the very latest model as soon as it arrives on the scene. That's probably a good thing too seen as demand will be higher than supply for around 6 months or so when the iPhone 5 finally lands.

October 4th will be the big reveal apparently...

http://www.stuff.tv/news/phone/rumour-m ... 09-11%20(1)&utm_content=wwwstufftvnewsphonerumourmilliphone5 tolaunchonoctober4

You've got to love to comment on that page. :lol:

woop woop at least a real release date not an internet rumour. i just cant wait.
    I'll no hold my breath until i hear something from Apple, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by rjwanderer22

I mean I'm on my 5th iphone 3gs...mucho problemos.... :(

Looking forward to getting the iphone 5 on my next upgrade....
    To me that sounds like:

I've had 5 kicks in the balls, which sucked.

Looking forward to a punch in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwanderer22

I mean I'm on my 5th iphone 3gs...mucho problemos.... :(

Looking forward to getting the iphone 5 on my next upgrade....
    To me that sounds like:

I've had 5 kicks in the balls, which sucked.

Looking forward to a punch in the mouth.
    haha notreally- you must be a right sicko if you enjoy a boot to the nuts and a punch in the face! My point is even though the iphone has its flaws, its the best phone on the market- period!