closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mini Review - Seiko Astron Commemorative Edition

Mini Review - Seiko Astron Commemorative Edition

Something a bit different from the norm arrived today in this Seiko Quartz Astron 40th Anniversary Commemorative Edition. I'd been looking out for a GS with the 9F62 movement (the 9F being the most high end Seiko quartz movement so far and one which has been discussed here a few times) but the opportunity to bag an unworn example of one of these came up so I had to take it, despite only ever having seen them in photos :)

Only 200 of these were made to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the original Astron, which as you probably know was the first quartz watch. They were introduced at 2010 Baselworld with a slightly eye-watering pricetag and are finished to GS standards with the GS movement but don't display the GS name.

I've only just started playing with the watch so my observations are limited to simple first impressions.

Case: It's very light and made from a one piece cushion design in titanium. I think it is 40-42mm wide and I think the lugs are 20mm. Seiko use this very very tough and very shiny titanium alloy (which my MM600 also seems to use, or something very similar) which can hold a mirror finish and doesn't seem to pick up marks easily. The entire top surface of the case and lugs is a piano black glossy finish, as is the bezel. I guess this must be bonded chemically somehow to the alloy surface. On the wrist looks more or less like a black cased watch but just has a hint of the alternately polished/brushed case sides which I really like.

The case back is very comfortable against the wrist, the one-piece design allowing it to have a gentle curve which I've tried to show in the photos below:

It has 4 tiny screws in the back of the case and I guess these would release the caseback from the top fascia of the watch to allow a battery change. The movement is sealed and is apparently good for 50 years before needing any attention. This is one of the very few (only?) Seikos not to have a dated serial number on the back - instead it has the limited edition number.

Crystal: Has a very, very slight curve to it and has AR applied to it too. It protrudes a fraction of a mm above the bezel.

Dial: Wow. The standard of finishing is phenomenal. The dial mostly looks black from almost every angle. At certain angles you get a hint of a carbon fibre type finish and if you catch the light just right and have sharp eyes you can see tiny original Seiko quartz logos etched into the dial surface. These show up very well under flash photography but are extremely hard to see otherwise:

If anyone regularly visits b3ta.com or reads Viz then you'll have your own ideas about what the little logo looks like :lol: . Settle down Beavis.

The hour batons and the chapter ring are applied and are very highly reflective. EDIT: On very close examination it is possible that the minute markers are printed with an iridescent silver paint, but actually given the lack of texture showing through I think that they are most likely applied. See macro shots taken with my wife's Sony compact:

This combined with the high gloss black finish gives an extremely pleasing understated bling effect to the watch that I've tried and mostly failed to capture in this video:

http://youtu.be/qN4KJl3u_dM

Hands: The hour and minute hands have a brushed but reflective finish to the top surface and there is a little bevel at the edges of these that is highly polished. The second hand is polished and catches the light very nicely.

Date: White on black to continue the mostly black theme. Seiko boast that it clicks over exactly at midnight and that it happens in 1/2000th of a second, which is far too fast to perceive.

Crown: Not screwed down although the watch is rated waterproof to 100m. Has the S embossed on it and functions exactly in the normal way (position b = date, position c = hacking seconds and time adjustment.) When adjusting the time the crown is geared such that you have to turn it more times than I'm used to in order to rotate the hands by an hour. The effect of this is that it is very easy to exactly position the hands on a particular baton or marker when setting the time but that it takes a while to wind through 12 hours to check the date is going to flick over at midnight.

Movement and Timekeeping: Hah. Perfect over 3 hours :lol: I'll get back to you in a year on timekeeping :wink: .

The movement has been engineered to provide that holy grail of ocd quartz afficionados - that the second hand exactly hits the second markers on the chapter ring - taken over 10 seconds:

It ticks obviously, but the second hand has a difficult to define solidity to its movement, as if the actual tick takes a tiny amount longer than other quartz watches I have owned.

Straps: It comes with the softest and most supple silicone strap that I've ever encountered. Very comfortable. This has a nice Seiko buckle on it.

It also comes with a glossy black croc strap with a signed PVD deployant clasp which I've completely failed to photograph and which I will never wear.

Boxes and papers: Again, not photographed but triple boxed with a nicely substantial flip up inner box which feels like it is made of wood. Has an instruction book and warranty card as per all Seiko watches.

Overall I'm really happy with it. Given its collectibility I guess I'm going to be wearing it infrequently and carefully though :bigsmurf:

edit: on leather (not the oem one)

Re: New Arrival - Seiko Astron Commemorative Edition

Lovely! Distinctly different from the norm, very smart indeed.

Great review and pics too 8)

Re: Mini Review - Seiko Astron Commemorative Edition

My lord that is the shizzle. Congratulations on a stunning pick-up.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plake
    ...then you'll have your own ideas about what the little logo looks like.
    First thing I thought when I saw your "It's Friday" photo. :D

Very, very, very, nice. You won't see many of these around.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie
    :)

I emailed the chap I bought it from to say thanks and let him know that it had arrived. He just wrote back with this:

Enjoy it and have fun with it - it is a rare one! *I met with the sales manager and a lead designer from Seiko Japan yesterday and was wearing mine, they gawked at it and had never seen one! (they all got sold before the staff even got to see it in-the-flesh)

Very nice mate and have to say one of the most interesting watches I have seen on the forum for a while. And given the rarity you did well finding a minty mint. Enjoy!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing.

The entire top surface of the case and lugs is a piano black glossy finish, as is the bezel. I guess this must be bonded chemically somehow to the alloy surface.
    It is a form of glassy metal (aka liquid metal) outer layer formed by surface treating the case metal. It is not bonded but the case material itself.

It ticks obviously, but the second hand has a difficult to define solidity to its movement, as if the actual tick takes a tiny amount longer than other quartz watches I have owned.
    It has a twin step motor. Takes twó steps and the movement is more “deliberate“ so as to controll it hitting the mark and not bouncing or aother. Nóóó backlash here.

I like thķs shot with the Astron in context:

Cheers for the info Petrus. The finish is quite unlike any other black case I have ever seen. Will be interesting to see how it withstands wear and tear - I'd expect it to be excellent from the feel of it.

I'm also expecting a GS SBGX061 at some point in the next couple of weeks (which I'm expecting to be a bit less precious about and to use as a beater.) I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    Thanks for sharing.

The entire top surface of the case and lugs is a piano black glossy finish, as is the bezel. I guess this must be bonded chemically somehow to the alloy surface.
    It is a form of glassy metal (aka liquid metal) outer layer formed by surface treating the case metal. It is not bonded but the case material itself.

It has a twin step motor. Takes twó steps and the movement is more “deliberate“ so as to controll it hitting the mark and not bouncing or aother. Nóóó backlash here.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the effort. Never seen this before. Love the watch, but not the rubber.

Master

8) 8) 8) love it

Very strange, different...and nice.

:D Gorgeous thing, very nice case, like that after going to the trouble of making it one piece they made the back curved to fit properly and I can see why they made the quartz logos nearly invisible :lol: As I have that type of logo on one of my vintage quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie
    Agree! Congratulations!!!

Very nice, I'm slightly jealous!

What other nice Seiko's do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by superslau
    Very nice, I'm slightly jealous!

What other nice Seiko's do you have?
    Currently this: :)

This: (Thanks Jeremy for the watch as well as this picture) :) :)

And incoming :) :) :) :

In their own ways all great watches. I've also had a couple of Tunas and will no doubt have more one day. The older I get the more I believe that as a WIS you can't help but admire Seiko.

I agree with above, love the watch hate the rubber.

Grand Master

It's a lovely looking watch, and I don't even mind the rubber, although I'd be sticking with a nice leather strap, myself. But the price is a bit :shock: ing!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Nice piece... congratulations

Master

Looks great, congrats on the pick up

Blog Entries

Good grief, that is absolutely breathtaking. I wasn't aware of it at all before you posted here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

Very nice. Do you know what the model number is of the Credor?

When I read the thread title I though your Astron was an original...... not interested now. :lol:

Seriously, a great looking watch with real credentials.

Congratulations.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Very nice one!

You might also want to post that mini review at

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/

Cheers Catalin, will do.

Rubber haters: I wore the silicone strap all day yesterday and it's very comfy but it's not really my thing either so I popped it on a fairly simple 20mm black leather with deployant that I had lying around. I like it :)

If anyone regularly visits b3ta.com or reads Viz then you'll have your own ideas about what the little logo looks like :lol: . Settle down Beavis.
    Damn. Foiled before I had a chance.

Banned

Cheers Catalin, will do.

Rubber haters: I wore the silicone strap all day yesterday and it's very comfy but it's not really my thing either so I popped it on a fairly simple 20mm black leather with deployant that I had lying around. I like it :)

I love this watch 8) i,ve been pondering with the idea for months now about getting myself a grand seiko quartz 9f but i would rather get my hands on this one because of the size and rarity , what is the price of one of these if i was fortunate enough to get one ? the only down side would be if i had it on my wrist i would have to change the way i dress , for instance a fine pair of black pointed slip ons with a pair of pin tucked high wasted fawn trousers would be nice also an aron knitted jumper if its a windy day i would also try chatting up all the birds . :)

Blog Entries

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    8) 8) 8)

I'm not usually a jealous guy, but now I am!!
    What a beauty! I was looking at one on the bay only yesterday, but it was a bit expensive for me at the moment.

A cracking watch, thanks for the review and enjoy it very much.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman

Thanks for the review and great pictures. A very cool watch that has just reignited my interest in HEQ. I think it looks rather good on the silicone strap. Enoy :)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmerjammer
    Cheers Catalin, will do.

I love this watch 8) i,ve been pondering with the idea for months now about getting myself a grand seiko quartz 9f but i would rather get my hands on this one because of the size and rarity , what is the price of one of these if i was fortunate enough to get one ? the only down side would be if i had it on my wrist i would have to change the way i dress , for instance a fine pair of black pointed slip ons with a pair of pin tucked high wasted fawn trousers would be nice also an aron knitted jumper if its a windy day i would also try chatting up all the birds . :)
    :shock: Have you been following me around?

:lol:

It pretty much goes with anything - the reason it was supplied with 2 totally different straps was to help with this I guess. I've settled on a nice waterproof DiModell shark strap with a deployant clasp for now - q&d with a point and shoot:

In terms of price - they sold at £4k when originally released. I've seen them priced at £2.2-£3k in good condition on the used market. Plus tax if you are shipping in from outside of the EU :evil:

The movement hasn't measurably lost or gained any time at all from radio controlled timepieces in my house since I posted by the way.

Having acquired some vernier calipers I can confirm that it is 40.8mm acrossthe case from just above the crown, so essentially a 41mm watch. Next to its smaller relative: (incidentally the dial is bigger by about 2mm too, it's not just the case.)

Blog Entries

In terms of price - they sold at £4k when originally released. I've seen them priced at £2.2-£3k in good condition on the used market. Plus tax if you are shipping in from outside of the EU

3650,- Euro's that French E-bay seller wants............ :cry:

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    In terms of price - they sold at £4k when originally released. I've seen them priced at £2.2-£3k in good condition on the used market. Plus tax if you are shipping in from outside of the EU

3650,- Euro's that French E-bay seller wants............ :cry:

Daddel.
    Fair enough :lol:

There was one on TURF, weirdly, which was about the £2.7k mark when I last looked a couple of weeks ago.

Stunning. I wish Seiko would do some non-LE variants or at least some watches that reflect the same design motif. I am getting a bit tired of endless Tuna and generic diver style variations.

What's the lug-to-lug length?

Quote Originally Posted by david stinson
    Stunning. I wish Seiko would do some non-LE variants or at least some watches that reflect the same design motif. I am getting a bit tired of endless Tuna and generic diver style variations.

What's the lug-to-lug length?
    43.5mm from tip to tip.

It's a really nice size for my 7"ish wrist

Master

looks very nice on the shark 8)