closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: advice on high value face to face

advice on high value face to face

I am about to do a high value face to face deal. Does anyone have invaluable advice to make this more secure? The man in question wants to come from Italy and do the deal in cash? I have insisted on Ģ's not Euros because my bank won't accept this kind of money in Euros and for other reasons. We are talk about over 6k so i have requested to meet at the bank and make the deposit before viewing the watch, does this sound reasonable and safe?

Re: advice on high value face to face

Yes, good luck.

Edit, just re-read that. Meeting at the bank is ok, but I'd expect to view the watch before handing over the cash. Once cash deposited, then I'd expect the watch.
    Gray

Craftsman

Just meet in a public place and everything will be fine. Have a mate with you if you really aren't comfortable handling that amount of cash.

I'd personally find it unreasonable to deposit money before seeing the watch but if he's ok with it then thats more reassurance for you.

Not an easy one, but if the guy is going to the expense of travelling from Italy, he's got to be pretty genuine.

If I was the buyer, I wouldn't agree to you banking the cash before I saw the watch. If he's not happy with it, he's got no control over getting the cash back. Personally, I'd arrange for him to view the watch somewhere relatively private but kind of public - maybe a hotel lobby ? Does he want someone to independently validate it's authenticity ?

If buyer is happy with the watch, go to your bank with him, deposit cash in your account and hand over watch in banking hall. Your bank is likely to ask questions on the source of funds if you deposit that kind of cash, so if it's not your account holding branch that you're using, this could give you difficulties.

Good luck with the sale though.
    D

Master

I sold my car for cash a couple of years ago, met the couple for a test run etc first, then we all went straight to the bank to conclude the deal, no issues there.

Although, I must stress, she was pregnant and he was smaller than me :D

Good luck

thanks for the advice, i will let you know how it goes, i'll be hoping he's smaller than me, then maybe i could have the money and the watch? :blackeye:

Quote Originally Posted by simonsays
    thanks for the advice, i will let you know how it goes, i'll be hoping he's smaller than me, then maybe i could have the money and the watch? :blackeye:
    :lol:

I hope he doesn't read this thread :wink:
    ______

​Jim.

Bought and sold cars for a lot more face to face and delivered a few submariners to an Italian buyer at Luton airport - we did the deal at the airport and I took the Euros. Going to a bank is super safe given that they won't accept fake Euros and you may not be up on the latest forgeries - lot of effort to go through for a one off watch purchase though I would think.

I'm usually happy dealing in cash and have never had a second though about it in the past. Just the usual precautions with regards to keeping yourself safe and being wary.

Good luck, hope it all goes well.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

No different than selling a car imo. Just don't get mugged and you're fine.

Journeyman

i got adviced a couple of weeks ago from someone with same proceedure.

I didnīt want to do the deal that way. Probably , im afraid, probably im not risky enough, but, if he is a scammer, he is coming to England purchasing plane tickets for him and 2 other Pals , ....maybe you should ask him for a previous deposit, to confirm
    the operation

at least, be careful...

yup in my mind he was a mafia hood at best getting me to launder his drug money, or passing off his latest batch of fake euros, but i have got his ID of the net and i am feeling better, even a little foolish for giving so many requirements. Oh well, i am also going to miss the watch!
    It's one of these,guess which one?

Just my opinion but with so much fake money about, I'd let him have the viewing without the cash but get the cash put into the bank before releasing the watch.

Craftsman

sounds good let him do the deposite and run as fast as you can with your watch to a safe place!!! :-) .... win win situation <<< is this proper english?

Quote Originally Posted by rick
    sounds good let him do the deposite and run as fast as you can with your watch to a safe place!!! :-) .... win win situation <<< is this proper english?
    yes its good english, although i think its often meant to mean a scenario where both parties gain. But it would be win win for me, unfortunately i have a conscience :cry:

Oh dear. He's from Italy so he certainly is a Mafia member. The bank must belong to them. What you must do is seek protection from an opposing family. But make sure you don't do it when a war's on or you may end up stuck inbetween.

I think you'll be fine :)

if the buyer is flying in from Italy, its alot of hassle and expense for one watch.
    Assume that buyer has seen high res pics of the watch and is now coming to pay and pick up the watch as watches shipped to Italy can go 'astray' in the post :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver
    Not an easy one, but if the guy is going to the expense of travelling from Italy, he's got to be pretty genuine.

If I was the buyer, I wouldn't agree to you banking the cash before I saw the watch. If he's not happy with it, he's got no control over getting the cash back. Personally, I'd arrange for him to view the watch somewhere relatively private but kind of public - maybe a hotel lobby ? Does he want someone to independently validate it's authenticity ?

If buyer is happy with the watch, go to your bank with him, deposit cash in your account and hand over watch in banking hall. Your bank is likely to ask questions on the source of funds if you deposit that kind of cash, so if it's not your account holding branch that you're using, this could give you difficulties.

Good luck with the sale though.
    D

yup in my mind he was a mafia hood at best getting me to launder his drug money, or passing off his latest batch of fake euros, but i have got his ID of the net and i am feeling better, even a little foolish for giving so many requirements. Oh well, i am also going to miss the watch!

I'm guessing the triple 6. Looks very nice by the way :)

I would try to meet in a public place like a Starbucks (or preferably somewhere better :lol: ) for a coffee very near your bank, chat, let him have a look at the watch then proceed to the bank for a deposit before handing it over.

If you're feeling a bit more cautious then just do the entire deal in the main banking hall.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plake

I would try to meet in a public place like a Starbucks (or preferably somewhere better :lol: ) for a coffee very near your bank, chat, let him have a look at the watch then proceed to the bank for a deposit before handing it over.

If you're feeling a bit more cautious then just do the entire deal in the main banking hall.

Flying in from Italy and you'd take him to a starbucks, he'd probably kill the deal there and then after one sip :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by horrovac
    Oh dear. He's from Italy so he certainly is a Mafia member. The bank must belong to them. What you must do is seek protection from an opposing family. But make sure you don't do it when a war's on or you may end up stuck inbetween.

I think you'll be fine :)
    i have bought a pin stripe suit and i am going down to my local italian deli, because i heard they are connected. If i do some deliveries for them across town they will put the word out on the street. I just have to find out which cartel he is involved with then i can play them off against each other. If i can start a war between the bosses then i could pull this deal off and come out ahead?

nope guess again, but i don't think that you will need another! :D

Master
    Blog Entries

I have met a buyer at the airport a couple of times, you are unlikely to get robbed in the airport. Id ask for payment in GBP, I like to think I can spot fake notes particularly Ģ6000 of them. Used banknotes have a look to them which fresh printed ones dont, and if he was going to rip someone off why not do it in Italy rather than go to the expense and hassle of flying to the UK to attempt to rip someone off which may not succeed.

Over 6k, must be the matte dial SD no? Otherwise there's something i don't know.

Grand Master

Just keep an eye out for any fake notes, they're quite difficult to tell apart these days :(

Fake

Real

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    Just keep an eye out for any fake notes, they're quite difficult to tell apart these days :(

Fake

Real

can you point out the flaws because i can't tell the difference?

if you get home and find a horses head in your bed then walk away from the deal :lol:

If I were you, I would make the deal in the bank, you can put the money on your account right away without having to go out with the whole amount. Furthermore, you will not have to worry about any robbery atempt, since you will be filmed by the banks cameras.
    I personally would talk to the bank staff, they might have a room for you to be in during the face to face.
    As a buyer, I would not pay in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by dtc2
    if you get home and find a horses head in your bed then walk away from the deal :lol:
    It would probably be better to take a horse's head with you to the deal.

Why won't the bank accept Euro's?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977

Fake

Real

can you point out the flaws because i can't tell the difference?
    Doh! One is the Queen, the other is the King.

Back on topic, when he's happy pay the cash in over the counter before you release the watch. Anyone genuine will surely understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Why won't the bank accept Euro's?
    Well - there is a nice long story I could go into here - but the clown of the world's local bank won't even take Euro cash into a Euro account from a UK bank branch.... Local my....

They will however change your cash into Sterling at the travel desk - probably still the "Thomas Cook" travel desk (actually - looks like they severed ties in 2006!) and charge you 1% plus whatever rate they think is raising enough profit that day and place the money into your account - and to think I used to work for these people (thankfully not for too long and many years ago)!!!
    It's just a matter of time...

Deal went well. Nice guy and only the language barrier had caused suspicion. Thanks for everyones advice on this, most was taken. It was nice getting the bank to count the money, i hate doing that!

I now no longer own a SM1000m and probably never will again if they come up in original condition as rarely as it seems? Oh well you can't have your cake and eat it.

Craftsman

Deal went well. Nice guy and only the language barrier had caused suspicion. Thanks for everyones advice on this, most was taken. It was nice getting the bank to count the money, i hate doing that.

I now no longer own a SM1000m and probably never will again if they come up in original condition as rarely as it seems? Oh well you can't have your cake and eat it.
    finally the 'stereotypes' fest' has ended well.
    glad u had a smooth deal.

Quote Originally Posted by antongiu
    Deal went well. Nice guy and only the language barrier had caused suspicion. Thanks for everyones advice on this, most was taken. It was nice getting the bank to count the money, i hate doing that.

finally the 'stereotypes' fest' has ended well.
    glad u had a smooth deal.
    Well, it's not certain yet that it went smoothly, first the man has to get back to Corleone, and the Don needs to like the watch he brought him, otherwise he'll end at the bottom of the see with some concrete shoes on. :)

Mi dispiace se ti ho offeso, non era la mia intenzione. Io trovo gli stereotipi molto divertenti, prego di non prenderlo sul serio. :)

Just remember to have some one that says OK for the watch to
    and you buy the seller just as much as the watch,good luck hope every thing goes well :)

Master

Yup I bought my recent Breitling in a coffee shop! :lol: