timefactors watches
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Banned from the Rolex forum

That was a fun read. Thanks for sharing that :)

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    There is one amazing thread over at the Rolex forums started by a Brit. He gets accused of being a bullsh11ter but in the end makes them eat their words. Unfortunately the thread becomes very sad and tragic but it really is a wonderful thread about someone using his Rolex as a tool watch and exploration adventures / to Antarctica and the South Pole.

Worth reading for sure. one of my fave threads on any forum and I don't think you need to be a member:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ght=Antarctica

Quite a remarkable read that. Such a shame his life took that incredibly sad turn.

Journeyman
    Just read that thread.

Remarkable.

Journeyman
    Great read. It just goes to show there are a lot of genuine people out there.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    OK, I confess, I was banned from TRF. Some guy asked for opinions about the Day-Date, and my opinion is fairly unsympathetic to say the least. Why buy a workhorse watch movement dressed up in gold or platinum, when you could get a much nicer watch from other manufacturers for the same money, was my line. So away I went. There were one or two people there I quite liked, but the majority seemed like they'd buy Rolex toilet paper if it was offered.

Am I bad?
    Hell no.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    was trying to stick at TRF for a while, but it seemed rather boring to me (guess mostly old time regulars still enjoy it)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    There is one amazing thread over at the Rolex forums started by a Brit. He gets accused of being a bullsh11ter but in the end makes them eat their words. Unfortunately the thread becomes very sad and tragic but it really is a wonderful thread about someone using his Rolex as a tool watch and exploration adventures / to Antarctica and the South Pole.

Worth reading for sure. one of my fave threads on any forum and I don't think you need to be a member:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ght=Antarctica
    Its 38 pages long. Can we have a precis?
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

Journeyman
    From memory a guy ironically called 'talktoomuch' made a post on the rolex forum of few words, 'collection complete' I think. Then followed lots of negativity towards him as the internet trolls. and some long term 'respected' trf members doubted him. Turned out the OP is a respected proper polar explorer.. over time he swung the whole trf forum around until they were all in the palm of his hand. He posted some amazing pics of his explorations and rolex tool watches being used as intended.

This is all from memory as I'm also banned from trf !!.

It's worth joining just to read this thread alone so you can view his pictures.

Master

Cool

Just saw this ,brilliant thread and thanks for link

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    From memory a guy ironically called 'talktoomuch' made a post on the rolex forum of few words, 'collection complete' I think. Then followed lots of negativity towards him as the internet trolls. and some long term 'respected' trf members doubted him. Turned out the OP is a respected proper polar explorer.. over time he swung the whole trf forum around until they were all in the palm of his hand. He posted some amazing pics of his explorations and rolex tool watches being used as intended.

This is all from memory as I'm also banned from trf !!.

It's worth joining just to read this thread alone so you can view his pictures.
    Just to add to that - out of the blue his wife tragically died and he posted about her Rolex if I remember rightly and of course it is now his number one watch.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973 View Post
    Those brand forums eh?

😂😂

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I'm a member at TRF & I didn't see the 'banning' so can't comment on specifics.

I will say though that there's way more 'trolls' at TRF so the mod's (who do a great job IMO) are far less tolerant of ..... can we say "strongly opinionated" posts.

They're also very intolerant of swearing & I too've fallen foul of the English sense of humour being 'lost in translation'.
    I've been banned-twice. In both occasions, mods had problems with me. In one case, a person decided to leave the forums and requested they remove his posts and all his information. They treated the guy like he was a rapist, and I pointed out that this gentleman was just asking, and had been very polite about it. These mods (and three of them ultimately came after me and started posting snarky, punk-ass crap) said they'd be happy to eliminate me too. So they banned me, and didn't even remove my posts. Second time (nothing's easier to get around than a ban if you know what you're doing), I pointed out to a mod that what he said about the Rolex warranty was incorrect, and quoted the warranty itself to prove it. He argued about it, and I asked what it was about what I had posted that he didn't understand. So they banned me. Again.

I don't miss it in the least. I think Rolex should stop them from using their name in the forum, as it honestly is defamatory that such creeps are using a fine brand to (ultimately) sell used watches in their sales section. There were some nice people, but the lion's share were just rich narcissists with too much time on their hands. They're an insult to people who enjoy the brand's products. I do go back and check the tech section from time to time because there's some watchmakers that occasionally give good advice, but the rest is a waste of electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    rich narcissists with too much time on their hands
    Hmmm, sounds familiar

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    There were some nice people, but the lion's share were just rich narcissists with too much time on their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Hmmm, sounds familiar
    Such is life.

Craftsman
    I thought I was in for a ban from TRF when I posted that the new Patek pilot was a copy of a better looking Zenith. Some of them started trawling through my post history in order to have a go, then invited me to feck off back the the Rolex pages...

I've seen this happen on TRF before. A poster will drop something in that criticises Rolex, but is a genuine view. Then there's a feeding frenzy of people having a got the poster, who, upon reacting is the one who gets banned!

Many of them would spend the cash on a polished turd if it had Patek on the face, but then again I suppose some here would too!

OK, I confess, I was banned from TRF. Some guy asked for opinions about the Day-Date, and my opinion is fairly unsympathetic to say the least. Why buy a workhorse watch movement dressed up in gold or platinum, when you could get a much nicer watch from other manufacturers for the same money, was my line. So away I went. There were one or two people there I quite liked, but the majority seemed like they'd buy Rolex toilet paper if it was offered.

Am I bad?
    Congrats! Of course you're not bad, they are, those snobs!

I have 3 infractions so far. Not sure how many I need to get banned.

I called someone's idea of the perfect Daytona a Tardtona and got a private message from an admin saying all sorts of wild stuff and told me not to reply.

I rarely post there, perhaps 10 times in the past year, if that. But after posting just now, I noticed that my post count is 1.

Weird.

Banned

Am I bad?
    Wow.

I own four Rolexes but ridicule those most of the time. With a good reason. I own one but who's mad enough to buy €6K or 7K for a beat up 16710? Those prices are in a serious bubble.

I have to remember to not to say that on TRF.