timefactors watches
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banned from the Rolex forum

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Hahahhah, do Rolex make an aftershave yet, or is that something to look forward to.

Sorry for the nicked photo.

There's loads out there you could sell on TRF:

I could keep going like this for hours, but I'm off to cook tonight's curry (in my Rolex oven and using the wife's Omega oven gloves!).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    You're losing out. They have some stunning & informative threads there. But it's your loss...

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=289711

Well that was a waste of time and bandwidth. By the way, who is this guy and why is he relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by koimaster View Post
    Well that was a waste of time and bandwidth. By the way, who is this guy and why is he relevant?
    Well, he's obviously not interesting enough to attract even one single reply since April 2013.

What a joke

You're losing out. They have some stunning & informative threads there. But it's your loss...

TRF is ok. VRF was THE place for me but it seems to be as if there are not that many people active anymore. Assume a lot of them went to FB.

Master
    What is FB ?

Master

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    What is FB ?
    Ah,just occurs to me might be facebook

Grand Master

Stunning: 1. Causing or capable of causing emotional shock or loss of consciousness.

In other words; temporarily diminished mental capacity. That explains most.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

Grand Master
    Tee hee hee, like a moth to a Rolex flame :-)

Master
    Rolex have their own brand of candles now?
    Christ! Is there nothing they won't slap their name on?

A thread taking the piss out of members of another forum - many of whom (including me) are members here too - is pretty unedifying, in my opinion. If you don't like it, don't go there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alan2273 View Post
    Only a bit camp.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    A thread taking the piss out of members of another forum - many of whom (including me) are members here too - is pretty unedifying, in my opinion. If you don't like it, don't go there.
    Inclined to agree with this. I've been a member at TRF for some years now, and it's been an extremely useful source of model specific info (admittedly I only use the vintage rolex sub-forum). I've never had any problems with mods, perhaps they're a little more relaxed over on vintage? I simply use it (and VRF) as an online reference book, and for that the members have generally been very helpful.

There are some 'interesting' characters on there for sure, but you can say the same about this place, indeed any forum.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    What's a "circle jerk"?
    I hope your joking wow sheltered is an understatement lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bogartrules View Post
    I hope your joking wow sheltered is an understatement lol.
    I'm not "sheltered" I just have no knowledge nor experience of communal masturbation.
    Last edited by spuds; 17th January 2015 at 23:43. Reason: Typo

Apprentice
    I'm not "sheltered" I just have no knowledge nor experience of communal masturbation.
    Be thankful I know the term but by banter only lol cheers

I do find an arrogance on TRF that doesn't sit well. No, TZ and OF are good enough for me, especially as I am allowed to stir the pot every so often by mentioning the Wallabies.

Banned
    i got banned last week for two days for using a word i dont even consider bad langue i always thought the word describe a pregnant Goldfish, but at the end of the day i ticked that little box that said i agree to there terms,
    so i did the crime and had to suffer the punishment, it would have been nice to at least be given a chance to say sorry it wont happen again but i guess thats not how it works.

who is the all seeing eye who hands out the bans, is he in the room now, do i have to go all Ron Pickering on him.
    yeah maybe the Ron Pickering thing has had its time and passed now..... but mate "do you know who i am! im dirboxden"

Quote Originally Posted by dirboxden View Post
    i got banned last week for two days for using a word i dont even consider bad langue i always thought the word describe a pregnant Goldfish, but at the end of the day i ticked that little box that said i agree to there terms,
    so i did the crime and had to suffer the punishment, it would have been nice to at least be given a chance to say sorry it wont happen again but i guess thats not how it works.

who is the all seeing eye who hands out the bans, is he in the room now, do i have to go all Ron Pickering on him.
    yeah maybe the Ron Pickering thing has had its time and passed now..... but mate "do you know who i am! im dirboxden"
    Erm,
    What spell checker software are you using old chap?

Banned
    iv been up for around 36hours now i just finished a night shift, so if my spelling is a bit off forgive me, to be honest it wouldn't matter what time off day it is the spelling wouldn't be much better.
    i used to be called dyslectic den when i was at school many many years ago, now days im just abused by people on forums about it...lol

anyway to answer your question, i just use google spell check but the problem is if i spell something and it corrects its but i struggle reading the word itself the spell checker becomes useless.
    thats something you norm's wont understand, a spell checker is only any good if you can read or spell the word correctly to start with, that probably seems like nonsense to you norm's but its a fact.

so im using a american spell checker thats really only any good with the smaller words that i already know iv typed wrong due to rushing and it will just auto correct them,
    for more complicated spelling it does not really help, the only thing that helps is slowing right down and running the more complicated words through google to get there definition to make sure its the correct word to start.

right so now we now i have a brain function disability can i maybe just get a tad bit off leeway

10/10 for the comprehensive reply chum

And note duly taken.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    10/10 for the comprehensive reply chum

And note duly taken.
    your not the first person to pick up on it, infact i was ridiculed on TRF to the point of leaving over the spelling and grammar issue's.
    so i thought if i get it out there and explain maybe i wont be sat in the corner shaking and crying for the rest of the day.

but on a serious note im now mid 40's iv gone through it my whole life and iv still got more rolexs and gold stashed away them any of my friends and family who spell perfect.
    so the morel of the story is...you can still be 'El Thicko' and make it in life you dont need to to able to spell perfect.
    i get on because my mind works better then others in different ways, just dont ask me to write about it..lol

Journeyman
    Lol I'd never heard of this either! Do people actually do this??

Quote Originally Posted by s5dude View Post
    Lol I'd never heard of this either! Do people actually do this??
    Compulsory in Todmorden.

Craftsman
    lets keep these tales from TheRolexForum going.

I was banned, because i contributed 25$ - honestly because i wanted access to post in their buy/sell area, i was told that my pledge membership would go till end of january 2016 (basically 2 months) and at that time i had to repay a 'donation'. I PM an admin called "lol-z" or something similar; and told him that i found that abit unfair and just as a courtesy to get my "donation" back.

I got my donation back with a ban as well, where he explained that i didnt understand that this donation was not for services but to support the forum....
    I was abit surprised and asked myself "how can this be a 'donation' and not a charge for services since you only allow people who generously 'support' (wink wink pay 25$) to post a thread in the buy/sell area".

I was mostly surprised since i did get a good vibe from the other users that this place was nice and friendly, if you wore Rolex, of course.

Wow.

I'm in forums since 25 years, mostly in IT. The spirit of helping each other ist the base of a forum, at least for me. There is always people knowing better and people new om board, but this is the real value of a forum. Seniors should be mentors, not judges and never protectors of the holy grail! Sometimes the forum in question lacks of open mind and solidarity, I felt this sometimes or was treated as a dummy. Something never felt in an open source forum for example.

... but there are differences between an apple forum and a Linux forum: "My carrier, my house, my car, my watch " wears frogdesign, it's not the penguins world 😎

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjj View Post
    I'm in forums since 25 years, mostly in IT. The spirit of helping each other ist the base of a forum, at least for me. There is always people knowing better and people new om board, but this is the real value of a forum. Seniors should be mentors, not judges and never protectors of the holy grail! Sometimes the forum in question lacks of open mind and solidarity, I felt this sometimes or was treated as a dummy. Something never felt in an open source forum for example.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjj View Post
    I rarely use TRF these days for precisely the reasons you mention. Good post. Very good.

The place is full of idiots. One guy will post a picture of something and the next 25 postings are like Reginald Perrin meets Bullseye: great, super, smashing, wow. There is also a lot of very angry people on the forum. I remember one guy posting a picture of Fidel Castro wearing two Rolex at the same time, they wanted him hung, drawn and quartered. They are still ranting and raving over the Bay of Pigs - get over it guys. I gave up on that forum long ago.

Apprentice
    So what is the point of a forum? Isn't about discussions about something or opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWright View Post
    So what is the point of a forum? Isn't about discussions about something or opinions?
    I would not describe one word responses and losing your blob when you don't like the topic as discussion. Surely a discussion is a collection of different opinions and experiences, with people not necessarilly agreeing with each other, but certainly respecting the other persons right to hold an opinion that differs from yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The place is full of idiots.
    I wouldn't go that far! It was the first ever forum I joined and at that time there was a strong core membership that were willing to share knowledge and educate. They were very patient with people who wanted to learn. These members were also on the ball with putting a flea in anyones ear that joined who had "found a Rolex in the basement of a deceased family member" and wanted to know it's value (you know the type of scamming post). And I have always found the mods to be helpful- one in particular I am very grateful to for his help with a deceitful member.

I posted the link to illustrate the morons who have no interest in the forum but float in and out on their own agenda. Sometimes you can almost hear certain mods sigh as they type responses to some awful posts. My only negative comment about TRF would be you can't criticise watch brands with constructive debate any more. The last couple of years you can only oooh and aaah as I've often found out on the AP subsection.

Voila!! Just this week:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=487251

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ighlight=smurf

Serious crash in the first link and he's more concerned about his poxy watch and Padi's reply in the second is fantastic. I genuinely pissed myself.

Grand Master
    Just when you think watch nicknames can't get any more puerile......... "Platona" and "Smurf" appear.

I used go there but then it started to just get ridiculous.... seemed it was predominantly blokes convinced a Rolex was going to elevate them or cure their insecurities.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=127552

Old post I know but is about the time I gave up.

There was another which I can't find, but a guy had gone on a first date, got invited back to the girls condo. He asked to use the facilitates, after 20mins or so she checked on him to find him cleaning his sub. She was somewhat bemused (cant think why) and suggested he went home. This was a serious post as the guy was concerned she didn't appreciate his Rolex! Furthermore by cleaning it he stood a better chance...it was 6 months old and he'd been invited back.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    I used go there but then it started to just get ridiculous.... seemed it was predominantly blokes convinced a Rolex was going to elevate them or cure their insecurities.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=127552

Old post I know but is about the time I gave up.

There was another which I can't find, but a guy had gone on a first date, got invited back to the girls condo. He asked to use the facilitates, after 20mins or so she checked on him to find him cleaning his sub. She was somewhat bemused (cant think why) and suggested he went home. This was a serious post as the guy was concerned she didn't appreciate his Rolex! Furthermore by cleaning it he stood a better chance...it was 6 months old and he'd been invited back.
    The post you link to is sick-making! I have been a member of TRF for a couple of years but I rarely visit these days owing to garbage such as this. The factual content can be of use but the contributions made by some of the members is mere back slapping and bull dung. The few posts I initiated were addressed sensibly initially but soon deteriorated into mickey taking and insults. I'm not sure why anyone would wish to alienate someone they have never met. It takes all sorts.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's Creation View Post
    Christ that's sad. I hate actors.
    Hahaha! I want to sign up now just to follow that guy!

I'd love to follow them around for a day, it's comedy gold!
    Last edited by Johnas83; 19th August 2016 at 11:42.

Apprentice
    Voila!! Just this week:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=487251

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ighlight=smurf

Serious crash in the first link and he's more concerned about his poxy watch and Padi's reply in the second is fantastic. I genuinely pissed myself.

"I'm more upset about my watch than my bike.. it has alot of sentimental value as I bought it as a gift for myself"

You couldn't make this stuff up!!

Hmm.

I wonder if they pay any tax on their compulsory selling fees "donations". Tidy little business they have running there, either way.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by serdal22 View Post
    Aaand finally I got banned from WUS forever for asking why a Comrade from another forum was banned.

Go, figure..,

Capt. Serdal
    I got banned for that, for life. So I got around their "ban" quite easily and a few months later got banned again for asking a moderator what part of the Rolex warranty he didn't understand. I find them very sad, and socially disturbed. Occasionally you would trip over somebody who actually knew what they were talking about, but the moderators are the worst sort of keyboard commando. Good riddance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Just when you think watch nicknames can't get any more puerile......... "Platona" and "Smurf" appear.
    Somehow my suggestion of "Pootona" didn't catch on.