timefactors watches
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 132 of 132

Thread: Banned from the Rolex forum

  1. #101
    Master demer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On Lake Michigan
    Posts
    2,305
    That was a fun read. Thanks for sharing that :)

  2. #102
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up a creek
    Posts
    27,284
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    There is one amazing thread over at the Rolex forums started by a Brit. He gets accused of being a bullsh11ter but in the end makes them eat their words. Unfortunately the thread becomes very sad and tragic but it really is a wonderful thread about someone using his Rolex as a tool watch and exploration adventures / to Antarctica and the South Pole.

    Worth reading for sure. one of my fave threads on any forum and I don't think you need to be a member:

    https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ght=Antarctica

    Quite a remarkable read that. Such a shame his life took that incredibly sad turn.

  3. #103
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    52
    Just read that thread.

    Remarkable.

  4. #104
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Herts UK
    Posts
    159
    Great read. It just goes to show there are a lot of genuine people out there.

  5. #105
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    OK, I confess, I was banned from TRF. Some guy asked for opinions about the Day-Date, and my opinion is fairly unsympathetic to say the least. Why buy a workhorse watch movement dressed up in gold or platinum, when you could get a much nicer watch from other manufacturers for the same money, was my line. So away I went. There were one or two people there I quite liked, but the majority seemed like they'd buy Rolex toilet paper if it was offered.

    Am I bad?
    Hell no.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

  6. #106
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    6
    was trying to stick at TRF for a while, but it seemed rather boring to me (guess mostly old time regulars still enjoy it)

  7. #107
    Grand Master seikopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    25,576
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    There is one amazing thread over at the Rolex forums started by a Brit. He gets accused of being a bullsh11ter but in the end makes them eat their words. Unfortunately the thread becomes very sad and tragic but it really is a wonderful thread about someone using his Rolex as a tool watch and exploration adventures / to Antarctica and the South Pole.

    Worth reading for sure. one of my fave threads on any forum and I don't think you need to be a member:

    https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ght=Antarctica
    Its 38 pages long. Can we have a precis?
    "Never lose faith and just keep breathing"

  8. #108
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    York England
    Posts
    86
    From memory a guy ironically called 'talktoomuch' made a post on the rolex forum of few words, 'collection complete' I think. Then followed lots of negativity towards him as the internet trolls. and some long term 'respected' trf members doubted him. Turned out the OP is a respected proper polar explorer.. over time he swung the whole trf forum around until they were all in the palm of his hand. He posted some amazing pics of his explorations and rolex tool watches being used as intended.

    This is all from memory as I'm also banned from trf !!.

    It's worth joining just to read this thread alone so you can view his pictures.

  9. #109
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N.ireland
    Posts
    2,913

    Cool

    Just saw this ,brilliant thread and thanks for link

  10. #110
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    From memory a guy ironically called 'talktoomuch' made a post on the rolex forum of few words, 'collection complete' I think. Then followed lots of negativity towards him as the internet trolls. and some long term 'respected' trf members doubted him. Turned out the OP is a respected proper polar explorer.. over time he swung the whole trf forum around until they were all in the palm of his hand. He posted some amazing pics of his explorations and rolex tool watches being used as intended.

    This is all from memory as I'm also banned from trf !!.

    It's worth joining just to read this thread alone so you can view his pictures.
    Just to add to that - out of the blue his wife tragically died and he posted about her Rolex if I remember rightly and of course it is now his number one watch.

  11. #111
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973 View Post
    Those brand forums eh?

    😂😂

  12. #112
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I'm a member at TRF & I didn't see the 'banning' so can't comment on specifics.

    I will say though that there's way more 'trolls' at TRF so the mod's (who do a great job IMO) are far less tolerant of ..... can we say "strongly opinionated" posts.


    They're also very intolerant of swearing & I too've fallen foul of the English sense of humour being 'lost in translation'.
    I've been banned-twice. In both occasions, mods had problems with me. In one case, a person decided to leave the forums and requested they remove his posts and all his information. They treated the guy like he was a rapist, and I pointed out that this gentleman was just asking, and had been very polite about it. These mods (and three of them ultimately came after me and started posting snarky, punk-ass crap) said they'd be happy to eliminate me too. So they banned me, and didn't even remove my posts. Second time (nothing's easier to get around than a ban if you know what you're doing), I pointed out to a mod that what he said about the Rolex warranty was incorrect, and quoted the warranty itself to prove it. He argued about it, and I asked what it was about what I had posted that he didn't understand. So they banned me. Again.

    I don't miss it in the least. I think Rolex should stop them from using their name in the forum, as it honestly is defamatory that such creeps are using a fine brand to (ultimately) sell used watches in their sales section. There were some nice people, but the lion's share were just rich narcissists with too much time on their hands. They're an insult to people who enjoy the brand's products. I do go back and check the tech section from time to time because there's some watchmakers that occasionally give good advice, but the rest is a waste of electrons.

  13. #113
    Master ach5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    8,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    rich narcissists with too much time on their hands
    Hmmm, sounds familiar

  14. #114
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boulevard Haussmann
    Posts
    10,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    There were some nice people, but the lion's share were just rich narcissists with too much time on their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Hmmm, sounds familiar
    Such is life.

  15. #115
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    830
    I thought I was in for a ban from TRF when I posted that the new Patek pilot was a copy of a better looking Zenith. Some of them started trawling through my post history in order to have a go, then invited me to feck off back the the Rolex pages...

    I've seen this happen on TRF before. A poster will drop something in that criticises Rolex, but is a genuine view. Then there's a feeding frenzy of people having a got the poster, who, upon reacting is the one who gets banned!

    Many of them would spend the cash on a polished turd if it had Patek on the face, but then again I suppose some here would too!

  16. #116
    Craftsman James T. Kirk©'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands, Apeldoorn
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    OK, I confess, I was banned from TRF. Some guy asked for opinions about the Day-Date, and my opinion is fairly unsympathetic to say the least. Why buy a workhorse watch movement dressed up in gold or platinum, when you could get a much nicer watch from other manufacturers for the same money, was my line. So away I went. There were one or two people there I quite liked, but the majority seemed like they'd buy Rolex toilet paper if it was offered.

    Am I bad?
    Congrats! Of course you're not bad, they are, those snobs!

  17. #117
    Craftsman wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    555
    I have 3 infractions so far. Not sure how many I need to get banned.

    I called someone's idea of the perfect Daytona a Tardtona and got a private message from an admin saying all sorts of wild stuff and told me not to reply.

  18. #118
    Master sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    3,211
    I rarely post there, perhaps 10 times in the past year, if that. But after posting just now, I noticed that my post count is 1.

    Weird.

  19. #119
    Journeyman JPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    OK, I confess, I was banned from TRF. Some guy asked for opinions about the Day-Date, and my opinion is fairly unsympathetic to say the least. Why buy a workhorse watch movement dressed up in gold or platinum, when you could get a much nicer watch from other manufacturers for the same money, was my line. So away I went. There were one or two people there I quite liked, but the majority seemed like they'd buy Rolex toilet paper if it was offered.

    Am I bad?
    Wow.

    I own four Rolexes but ridicule those most of the time. With a good reason. I own one but who's mad enough to buy €6K or 7K for a beat up 16710? Those prices are in a serious bubble.

    I have to remember to not to say that on TRF.

  20. #120
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    21
    It is called TRF so many users do choose Rolex over other luxury brands. Who knows. Regardless, it sucks that you were banned.

  21. #121
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    830
    'kin ell, the ban-hammer has been out on TRF with MickP being one of them and PJ S baling out of his own accord. Others banned in the same Patek thread - fascinating!

  22. #122
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,100
    Which Patek thread lol???

  23. #123
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Which Patek thread lol???
    https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=561584 Enjoy!

  24. #124
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,100
    Ah ok - that was 30th Sept. Did read that one but didn't realise he got banned for it lol

    I did a search for "Chaps" to see if anything else came up :)

  25. #125
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    1,448
    Yes I was banned about a week ago. Some chap who I know personally started out on Rolex and has now added two PPs to his collection. He is a very knowledgeable man and also very objective. His point was simple, a forum needs a multitude of opinions and just saying "congrats" as seems to be the norm is pointless. He got banned and I then got banned for comparing his ban to hanging for sheep stealing.

    This place is the dead opposite. Some one says something someone else disagrees with and they end up calling each other bastards etc. Then others pile in and everyone accuses each other of being someone else and a boring tit etc.

    I cannot think of an offence for which you could be banned here.

  26. #126
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes I was banned about a week ago. Some chap who I know personally started out on Rolex and has now added two PPs to his collection. He is a very knowledgeable man and also very objective. His point was simple, a forum needs a multitude of opinions and just saying "congrats" as seems to be the norm is pointless. He got banned and I then got banned for comparing his ban to hanging for sheep stealing.

    This place is the dead opposite.
    Indeed for sure!

    Actually the chap who helped me get my Nautilus was banned and I can not actually send him a message to thank him which is annoying as we only exchanged PMs! He was a guy who's English was not the best and made a few blunders, but he basically he got ganged up on instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt. It was really a communications thing more then anything due to his English being pretty poor (and poss a bit of jealousy since he had a crazy collection).
    Last edited by kultschar; 10th October 2017 at 15:55.

  27. #127
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,376
    ^
    Sounds like that was Brian, from Taipei.
    Might be worth asking the dealer to pass on your thanks and details, but I’d imagine he knows you’re grateful.

  28. #128
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    ^
    Sounds like that was Brian, from Taipei.
    Might be worth asking the dealer to pass on your thanks and details, but I’d imagine he knows you’re grateful.
    Yeah it was Brian, good idea - thanks!

  29. #129
    Master sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    This place is the dead opposite. Some one says something someone else disagrees with and they end up calling each other bastards etc. Then others pile in and everyone accuses each other of being someone else and a boring tit etc.
    You're wrong you boring, bastard tit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I cannot think of an offence for which you could be banned here.
    FYI

    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Wives are not fair game on this forum and this comment got [XXX] banned.

    Eddie

  30. #130
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

    I cannot think of an offence for which you could be banned here.
    Ask Seikoboy/northlondoner as he's been binned for dual id's. See the dual id thread for how he was outed and locked out!

  31. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I cannot think of an offence for which you could be banned here.
    Ask Howdy, he's the one with the most experience here.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  32. #132
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    1,597
    I got banned for pointing out that threads started to out bad behavior by "trusted sellers" get locked and deleted almost instantly .

    The funny part? I made that comment in a thread outing one of those scumbag sellers which... got locked and deleted instantly.

    The mods on TRF get kick backs from the sellers and that entire forum operate only as a captive market for the sellers. It's 100% clear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •