closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looks An Interesting One...

Master

Looks An Interesting One...

I realise that there are some who may be looking out for a 6b/159, in fact apparrently a MK11 from '56 and found this on 'epray' on the good day:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROYAL-AIR-FORCE-R ... dZViewItem

The seller is highly reputable, evidently as well as clearly very knowledgeable. Have not seen one quite like this before, and not 'up' on this type or time; it looks interesting. You fellows may like it.

Best Wishes,

Pottinger+ :)

Grand Master
    Mark 11 name, 6B/159 looks ... and caseback grooves reminiscent of the Speedbird.

Glad I am not looking for one of those. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thanks for the heads-up. I've bought from that seller and he's a name known to all military collectors. It strikes me as a well-priced and genuine watch.

I'm sure some of those here with greater Omega military expertise than me will comment.

I'd go for it if i hadn't spent money unwisely . I've been one of those looking for a white dial 6b/159 and my enthusuasm led me into a small mistake last week (see other thread). :?

And it went with BIN price of £225 as I was typing the above - anyone from round here get it??

That was a good buy at the price and from Ziggy too (a good guy indeed). Shouldn't be too hard to have that one running again - plenty of calibre 30T2 spares about from otherwise knackered Omega's of the period.

I have both the black and white dial versions of this watch. With the all steel cases and screw on backs, they're a real improvement over the earlier Air Ministry Omega's.

Cheers

Foggy

Grand Master
    On a more serious note, when and why were the recased 6B/159s renamed "Mark 11"? Wouldn't that cause some kind of confusion with the coexisting IWC and JLC Mark 11s?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    I can only assume the rebuild was to bring them up to Mk11 standard.
    I've seen this type of thing happen the other direction too. A watch recovered from a 1944 crash site had been downgraded from a 6B/159 to a /234 due to having a replacement movement fitted.

6B/159: Navigational watch Mk7 or 7a. (to GS upon intro of Mk11)
    6B/234: General Service watch, aircrew, Mk8 (substitute std for 159)
    6B/346: Navigational watch Mk11.
    etc.

The mark numbers died out at the end of the 1950's ish, hence the later stores code 6B/542 doesn't have a corresponding Mk No.

Hope this helps,

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ramc181
    I can only assume the rebuild was to bring them up to Mk11 standard.
    Hmmm ... The Mark 11 standard is rather strict, what with the antimagnetic rating achievable only by an inner soft-iron case and the crystal being specially secured ... not sure that the rebuilt 6B/159s would make the antimagnetic rating and be subject to the strict accuracy regime of the Mark 11s at the Royal Naval Observatory.

To the ebst of my knowledge, the recased 6B/159s were secondary aircrew watches, much like the Omega 1953, and not to be used for navigation like the Mark 11.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    You are quite correct, what I should have said is they were brought up towards Mk11 standard, not to meet it. Basically they were "modernised". :)

Master
    The screw case, from a number of respects, is a improvement upon a snap-back, however, for some reason I prefer the convenience of the Dennison snap-back to the screw-back. I have snap-back white dial 30 T2 SC Omega which is very ledgeable, comfortable and easy to adjust. I will not go plunging in with it though, of course.

The Mk11 Omega looks a interesting piece of history. It did not look shock-protected- in the main ruby where INCABLOC usually is placed, but this may not be that surprising as the JLC's were not shock protected, whilst the IWC's were! According to:

http://www.markeleven.com/

See comparative table between movements suppled, the bottom segment of this.

Does anyone have anecdotal or other evidence of 6b/159 or HS8 type watches' anti-magnetic performance, or lack thereof? Was it problematic for aircrew in this version (the HS8 or 6b/159 equivalent?) Any more detailed info on this quality would be very useful.

Best Wishes,

Sincerely,

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailfrid Pottinger
    Does anyone have anecdotal or other evidence of 6b/159 or HS8 type watches' anti-magnetic performance, or lack thereof? Was it problematic for aircrew in this version (the HS8 or 6b/159 equivalent?) Any more detailed info on this quality would be very useful.
    It is said that the poor antimagnetic performance of the 6B/159 resulting from the introduction of some radar equipment towards the end of WWII gave rise to the Air Ministry requirement filled by the Mark 11 - see: http://www.iwc.ch/lecture/library/_pdf/mark11a-en.pdf
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Dear Crusader,

Thank you very much for the link :) , it is an excellent article, that puts the watches into a clearly explained context of technical requirements and development.

Much enjoyed!

Many Thanks,

Best Wishes,

Sincerely,