Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

25 29.41%
  • PLAINPLAINPLAINPLAINPLAINPLAINPLAINPLAIN

44 51.76%
  • NOPREFERENCENOPREFERENCENOPREFERENCE

16 18.82%

Thread: Rolex 16610LV: ROLEXROLEXROLEX ORNOT?

Master

Rolex 16610LV: ROLEXROLEXROLEX ORNOT?

:D

Best title ever!

So... I'm buying a 16610 LV next.
    If you were me :wink: which would you go for?

ROLEXROLEXROLEX engraved rehaut or the earlier non-engraved rehaut?
    Will earlier be harder to find and therefore "worth more"?
    Is it purely a cosmetic thing with no realistic difference in "usage"?

Anyone got one? ;)

Fight! Or something... :lol:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Rolex 16610LV: ROLEXROLEXROLEX ORNOT?

wouldn't make a difference to me, just the price i get one for.

cheers
    mike

Master

Rolex 16610LV: ROLEXROLEXROLEX ORNOT?

Oh.. I thought you were getting a 116610LV Hulk (or are you getting the 16610LV Kermit also :) )

Apparently the earlier batch of 16610LVs are "worth more" due to the flat "4" number on the bezel. There are variations of the "O" in the "Rolex" wording on the dial too. Last time I checked there were about 5 different dial variations for the 16610LV..... :lol:

I personally like the engraved rehaut. All my Rolex watches has it :lol:

Personal choice IMO and I don't think that would have an effect on the price or "collect-ability" :lol:

It is a "must have" Rolex if you are a fan of Rolex green colour IMO

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

I would get your AD to 'Loan' you one of each for a week or two ! :lol:

Less is more IMO.

I like them clean :wink:

Master

How much does it interfere with your use of your SubC? I personally don't even notice it so I'd go with condition/history/price before even thinking about that. There's only one LV that has even the remotest excuse for being more expensive than others and that's the very first ones with the different shade of green insert. Even then, it's not nicer - it's actually not as nice a shade IMO, just rarer. All the stuff about flat o's, 4's etc is just hype and bo**ocks. Over and out. :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by esm
    Oh.. I thought you were getting a 116610LV Hulk (or are you getting the 16610LV Kermit also :) )
    I can quickly afford a 16610 but would need longer to save for the Hulk. Or I might do IFC. :wink:
    [slipperyslope]

Quote Originally Posted by esm
    Apparently the earlier batch of 16610LVs are "worth more" due to the flat "4" number on the bezel. There are variations of the "O" in the "Rolex" wording on the dial too. Last time I checked there were about 5 different dial variations for the 16610LV..... :lol:
    I've seen a few whilst I've been "researching". It's hard to be 100% on "what goes with what". I've seen triangular and trapezoid "40"'s on non-engraved rehaut ones. Is that correct? :?

@Ian: They don't lend watches unless you buy one and they wuldn't have an early LV in anyway.
    @Cliff: What do you mean "hype & b*ll*cks?" There are differences. Are you saying they don't "matter" at all? Other than to nerds? :D

Master
    Blog Entries

Flat 4 bezels were only on the first LVs (y series IIRC) and will not have the RRR engraving. Dealers try to flog the 2003 versions for 5k+, which is too much of a premium if you ask me. Get on with box, papers and a reasonable price rather than worrying about the rehaut, unless it really bothers you?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    @Cliff: What do you mean "hype & b*ll*cks?" There are differences. Are you saying they don't "matter" at all? Other than to nerds? :D
    I don't even think they matter to nerds, they just matter to ropey dealers trying to skin you an extra £XXX because "this is the super rare mk72 dial with the flat O and squint typeface". Hype and bo**ocks!

I find Rolexes already too brash and in-your-face to begin with, that engraving - apparently to make sure that even from more angles it can shout ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX at everyone - just exacerbates this. It is awfully bad taste, I wonder why they are doing it at all. They should also print it on all four case sides, on the endlinks, and perhaps all around the bezel.

This is not a very good topic for a poll, I believe. You get chaps like me voting on it - and if I were ever to buy a Rolex, I'd ask if they had one with a sterile dial - which very obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with what you want from it. Do you want one that screams ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX at everyone from the top of its lungs, or do you want one that merely shouts "ROLEX" extremely loudly at everyone standing in the correct angle? Take your pick :)

Master

Personally I prefer the plain rehaut but as others have said age and condition would take preference. Here is a link to the mk72 s etc that cliff was on about :-) http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/m ... nette+Vert)+-+The+%27true%27+anniversary+Submariner

I barely notice the engraving on the rehaut on any of my Rolexes compared to the plain ones I own.

Plain all the way.

It wouldn't matter to me, but the plain rehault seems to be more popular and will probably become more collectable. If you can find a minty one I'd go for it, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it either way.

Irrelevant.

I really have no preference and whilst I'm not a fan of Rolex this LV is seriously one I would give consideration to purchasing as well - if I could just get passed the "cyclops eye" which I really dislike.

Get the one you like best as you are the one wearing it and have to live with it everyday.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    Flat 4 bezels were only on the first LVs (y series IIRC) and will not have the RRR engraving. Dealers try to flog the 2003 versions for 5k+, which is too much of a premium if you ask me.
    Watchfinder have (had?) one at £5250. :shock:

@Cliff: Point taken. :lol: I've not been bothered by the engraving on the ceramics so... 8) although the black one was in and away before I got chance to get used to it! :lol:

@BigD: Thanks for that link! :shock: God, some people are dull :lol:

Plain.

There is a big premium for the 2003 ref watch and not the early F serials (although some would try and charge you for the privilege for these) fact of the matter is only the Y should be the initial run and therefore in my eyes the 50th anniversary watch - alas I sold mine.

I have had lots of these - more than any other watch I have ever owned. Currently only have the one and haven't worn it in 2 years but it is going no where - last of the plain rehauts - I sold an unworn 2005 model I had from new over a year ago and wish I had kept it.

For me the older cases are best without the rehaut - but you hardly notice and therefore for wearing it doesn't matter.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Thanks Scott. How many watches do you own? :lol:

Master
    Blog Entries

People spin this 'ROLEXROLEXROLEX' is less desirable. Why?! I think the most important thing is, as always buying a carefully used example at the right price.

Personally I quite like the engraving on mine, and as others say you don't really notice it. It's something that makes it a little different from my other Rolex, the Seadweller.

I've had both in the past & got rid of the non-engraved one.

Didn't make that much of a difference to me but i kept the engraved one as it was probably one of the last ones available, bought in October last year.

Dan

Master
    Blog Entries

[quote=Tai Mi Shu]
    Quote Originally Posted by "phil h":1vbkpbyq
    Flat 4 bezels were only on the first LVs (y series IIRC) and will not have the RRR engraving. Dealers try to flog the 2003 versions for 5k+, which is too much of a premium if you ask me.
    Watchfinder have (had?) one at £5250. :shock: [/quote:1vbkpbyq]

It doesn't have the flat 4, just some marketing balls on the ad, it's not even a particularly old one IIRC

Master

I'm not bothered either way. I had a mint plain one for a while but I'd still have bought it if it had the engraving.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    I would get your AD to 'Loan' you one of each for a week or two ! :lol:
    +1
    Lmao!

Thanks Scott. How many watches do you own? :lol:
    Lots :D

7 subs, 6 dwellers and 5 SMP's, 4 G-shocks etc. - can't think of watches to cover 3 and two but I've got lots to cover 1 including a singular Breitling. I'd like the 12 days of christmas covered in watches - something like.... 12 Comex Rolex, 11 MilSubs etc. :D Unfortunately I am not related to the £161m winners - so I will have to work a few more hours!

I've had over 20 LV's :lol:

I think I have managed to get back under 40 watches now - so things are going in the right direction. I'd like to get down to 10 - not including G's and other similar watches - but I think I could settle for 10 models. i.e. all the subs and then the SD's being considered as singular within the 10 - that might be possible. Plus I do not plan on keeping them all, easier said than done though - if I'm sensible the new Explorer II will be my next purchase.

double post - sorry!

Double Post.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Best title ever!

Anyone got one? ;)

So you getting what i hear is discontinued LV Vicky or new one w green dial?
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley

Best title ever!

Anyone got one? ;)

So you getting what i hear is discontinued LV Vicky or new one w green dial?

Both Paul! Just greedy isn't it ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Take us a quick pic of your collection Vic. Let see them all in the family photo.

When I try a rolex on with the rolexrolexrolex all over it, I cant help being put in mind of the shady guys who try to sell you fake lacoste and burberry t-shirts on holiday. :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3

I don't even think they matter to nerds, they just matter to ropey dealers trying to skin you an extra £XXX because "this is the super rare mk72 dial with the flat O and squint typeface". Hype and bo**ocks!
    Indeed.
    The McQueen hype with the Explorer is proof of that. Purely fabricated leading to urban myth is sufficient for “an orange hour hand“ to be worth :shock:
    The how/why a particulare model becomes desireable is less predictable than the weather.
    It is also the inverse of deminishing returns. The me-too is more like a black whole gathering mass.

Rarerity on itself is no reason.
    There are many exquisite, extremely rare watches that are cheap because nobody knowns of them so nobody desires one.
    There simply must be more demand than supply and then a million Rolex subs can still outdesireable reason concerning price.

Just get the one you like.

Grand Master

I preferred the rolex rehaut, it's a little more work and of course, you have the serial number in plain view, not hidden under the bracelet, they're also newer and don't have the dodgy green sticker on the back, that always tended to fall apart onto your wrist.

Plain ....but then I like all the old stuff better.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

The LV - the first model to really get me interested in Rolex.

As for ROLEXROLEXROLEX or not, it doesn't bother me. However, I'd still like the early one with the different "green" if I could find one when the bank balance allowed.

The LV is a hugely attractive watch and the engraving makes it just that little bit nicer, hopefully I“ll be getting my 16610 LN soon, with engraving.
    One thing is for sure, I can“t wait to see your collection in a couple of years! :D

I dont think I would be bothered about this aspect of the watch at all.

Master

Can I get a chapter ring with SEIKOSEIKOSEIKO engraved in it? I'd have one of them, in an ironic way.

Vicky, you need a new hobby. What you're considering spending on a watch you need the support of the forum to buy could get you a very nice XR2, AND have someone fit a zetec in it. Just sayin'.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters
    What you're considering spending on a watch you need the support of the forum to buy could get you a very nice XR2,
    Already got one, thanks. :D

I don't really need the support of the forum, I'm just asking what "you" would do.
    Does yours have engraved or plain rehaut? :wink:

Master

Definitely without.
    IMO it looks gauche and tacky.

I Can tell you what i did....I bought a mint 2004 mark 2 dial. No Rehaut, wide 'O' and pointy 4... its very lovely.
    I don't like the Rehaut at all, on anything and don't have a watch with one. I buy older stuff anyway...

:? I thought watches were taking a back seat Vicky? Did I miss something?