closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone remember or have a Sinclair Black Watch??

Does anyone remember or have a Sinclair Black Watch??

I was thinking about the first digital watches that I recall appearing in the seventies and remembered the Black Watch by Clive Sinclair. I Googled it and found the link below.

http://www.ledwatches.net/articles/plan ... kwatch.htm

I'd forgotten what a fiasco the whole thing was - I wonder if anyone has one and whether, perhaps unlikely, any still work?

Master

Re: Does anyone remember or have a Sinclair Black Watch??

Quote Originally Posted by davide
    I was thinking about the first digital watches that I recall appearing in the seventies and remembered the Black Watch by Clive Sinclair. I Googled it and found the link below.

I'd forgotten what a fiasco the whole thing was - I wonder if anyone has one and whether, perhaps unlikely, any still work?
    Coincidentally, I mentioned the same watch here about 1/2-way down and posted a pic.

cheers,

Ted

Master
    I remember it - always advertised in Popular Science and Popular Electronics magazines. I was in grade school at the time. Boy do I feel old. :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K
    I remember it - always advertised in Popular Science and Popular Electronics magazines. I was in grade school at the time. Boy do I feel old. :(
    Mike,

Don't feel bad, dude.

I had already done 12 years in the military and 2 years in my first real job. I am old! :wink:

Ted

Hi,

yes, I remember it along with every other one of Sinclair's early products. My Dad was a TV Engineer and got most of the electronics mags in circulation at the time (Practical Electronics, ETI, Television, and now and again, Wireless World). I used to read all of these (guess which career I chose!) and they were full of adverts for Sinclair products. As well as the watch, I remember the matchbox amplifier, and a tiny radio and of course the first calculator. I'm sure there were others but I haven't had a look through those old mags in 25-30 years. I don't doubt that my Dad still has them piled up in the loft somewhere!
    The watch was indeed a fiasco, as with many of Sinclair's early products. I remember reading a review of the kit version in one of the electronics mags. I'm sure they said it was extremely difficult to assemble. and very hard to get the case closed.

Craftsman

Sinclair

A friend of mine has a Sinclair electric ??, A electric, um, um, a electric something... :D (between a car and a bike.) at least you can sit on it.

a SINCLAIR C5??

john :)

In 1973/74 Clive Sinclair was selling pocket calculators in DIY KIT form for £5 each ... that is approx £30 to £35 in today's values ... and they sold ... but from memory they were not so reliable. And I recall walking down the Edgware Road and looking at his HiFi and Radio kits for sale in the electronic shops ... back in the bad old days when entry level HiFi comprised the ubiquitous Garrard SP25 turntable and various really budget price amps and speakers making for an awful sounding HiFi/Stereo for approx £100 ... which in today's values would be £300 to £350 ...

We have come a long way since then ... for the better in most cases.

Duncan
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman

C5

Yes indeed a C5

:D :D

Re: C5

Quote Originally Posted by tudormic
    Yes indeed a C5

:D :D
    I think the real cause of its failure was the thought of the Scania 32 tonne truck passing you at 70 mph or so.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    In 1973/74 Clive Sinclair was selling pocket calculators in DIY KIT form for £5 each ... that is approx £30 to £35 in today's values ... and they sold ... but from memory they were not so reliable.
    Duncan
    I bought one, put it together - it did work BUT it was a "scientific" calculator. To good 'ole Clive, "scientific" meant no functions and everything entered in 5-digit exponent form ** and calculated in RPN *** (reverse polish notation).

** for example 4.5678 = you went 4 5 6 7 8 E -4 or something loony like that.

*** for example to add 3 plus (4 divided by 5) you went 4 ENTER 5 ENTER <divide key> 3 ENTER <plus key> :shock: or something equally arcane.

Then good old Commodore came out with the CBM36 and Clive's toy went straight into the trash!

Ted

I remember them but as they had to be assembled I just couldn't keep the interest. I remember buying my first LED for £30 ... god, I am glad I got over my quartz mania. I once had a Casio calculator watch with a 'shooting numbers' game that I loved.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

I've seen a couple of black watches at boot sales (not working) What are they fetching nowadays?

My uncle has an original Sinclair mini TV that hangs around your neck on a strap so you can watch it. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I still have my Sinclair Cambridge Programmable Calculator plus the four program manuals that went with it. :) Great calculator, even wrote a few programs for it myself. :) :) Only problem was that when you switced it off the program was lost and had to be fully re-entered the next time you wanted to use it. :( Oh, and the Littlewoods Pools Forecaster I wrote for it didn't win me any money either. :cry: :cry:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    In 1973/74 Clive Sinclair was selling pocket calculators in DIY KIT form for £5 each ... that is approx £30 to £35 in today's values ... and they sold ... but from memory they were not so reliable.
    Duncan
    I bought one, put it together - it did work BUT it was a "scientific" calculator. To good 'ole Clive, "scientific" meant no functions and everything entered in 5-digit exponent form ** and calculated in RPN *** (reverse polish notation).

** for example 4.5678 = you went 4 5 6 7 8 E -4 or something loony like that.

*** for example to add 3 plus (4 divided by 5) you went 4 ENTER 5 ENTER <divide key> 3 ENTER <plus key> :shock: or something equally arcane.

Then good old Commodore came out with the CBM36 and Clive's toy went straight into the trash!

Ted
    I still have and use a HP10 calculator. It and the computer calculator I currently use both use RPN. That's how numbers were meant to be entered. Funny thing is, a couple of logics (first order predicate calculus) with which I'm familiar use the equivalent of RPN (postfix) and they've never caught on.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    :( Oh, and the Littlewoods Pools Forecaster I wrote for it didn't win me any money either. :cry: :cry:
    A statistitician/actuary colleague who once worked for Zetters told me that the best way to 'forecast ' football pools 'draw' results is to close your eyes and do them with a pin.

Duncan
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    :( Oh, and the Littlewoods Pools Forecaster I wrote for it didn't win me any money either. :cry: :cry:
    A statistitician/actuary colleague who once worked for Zetters told me that the best way to 'forecast ' football pools 'draw' results is to close your eyes and do them with a pin.

Duncan
    That's prety much what my program did Duncan, only electronically. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    I still have the ZX Spectrum, in a very good condition, that my parents got me as a present ages ago.

Ahhh the good old days of learning how to draw circles and squares on a ZX.

:)

VA

Re: Does anyone remember or have a Sinclair Black Watch??

Quote Originally Posted by davide

Many thanks for the link. I've spent a good while on a trip down memory lane looking at some of those Sinclair products. The most recent Sinclair product that interested me was the 'Zike' battery assisted bicycle. I remember seeing some publicity for it at the launch, but as with many of Sinclair's products, production dates were not forthcoming and I never saw it advertised on sale. I just assumed it was yet another failure; not far wrong really!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VA
    I still have the ZX Spectrum, in a very good condition, that my parents got me as a present ages ago.

I had no idea the Zeno Explorer was so venerable, or so versatile. :P :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

:D :D :D :D

VA

Craftsman

VA
    ZX Spectrum was tremendously successful in Czechoslovakia in the 1980's. Lots of people had it via grey imports. It was never officially retailed.

It was not only useful as a computer, but also as a proof that the communist economy was going down the tubes. Programming in the Z80 assembly alnguage almost had a flavour of an antiregime activity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel

VA
    ZX Spectrum was tremendously successful in Czechoslovakia in the 1980's. Lots of people had it via grey imports. It was never officially retailed.

It was not only useful as a computer, but also as a proof that the communist economy was going down the tubes. Programming in the Z80 assembly alnguage almost had a flavour of an antiregime activity.
    Interesting! I, on the other hand, the only regime that I was anti it was my parent's! :roll:

VA

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

I understand it can also be used as a high velocity projectile. :P

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!