closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smashed the sapphire crystal on my Sinn 356. Devastated :(

Smashed the sapphire crystal on my Sinn 356. Devastated :(

Hi All,

Feeling pretty glum at the moment...as the title suggests I’ve gone and put a serious crack in the crystal on my Sinn 356 – the one I’ve only owned for a month and my first serious watch :(

The worst bit is it happened in Jura Watches. I have a new Toshi strap on it which is still quite tight to get on and off. As I unthreaded the strap from the buckle to hand over to the shop assistant it came out of my hand, hit the CORNER of the glass display case and landed on the TILED floor :(

Why me?!?!?!

The guy got on the phone and got an estimate of £300 from Sinn (excluding VAT. Does anyone have any idea if this has to be done by Sinn or can I get an aftermarket crystal? I know the domed sapphire crystals are quite unique so I’m not holding my breath.

If anyone has any bright ideas I’m all ears...

Today officially sucks! Look forward to me listing a load of stuff on SC to pay for the repair.

*sigh*

Re: Smashed the sapphire crystal on my Sinn 356. Devastated :(

£300 is way too much to replace a crystal, however as it took a whack I suspect they are quoting for crystal, clean and service too - which is probably to be expected in the circumstances. Still seems a bit rich tho'

Bad luck mate
    Gray

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

we want pics !!!

yeah, will do when i get home...

Master

That’s bad luck, but can happen with sapphire and is one of the reasons I went for acrylic on mine. Yes, I’ve scratched it – very badly in fact – but I’ve also polished it back to health.

I realise that’s not much help… unless maybe you feel like going for an acrylic replacement instead?

Blog Entries

300 GBP must be based on: new crystal, labour, WR test etc. Often, these watches are send to Germany for a repair, adding to the costs.

Get in contact with Richard Askham (Richie_101) here on the forum. He's a competent watchmaker and he's able to give you suitable advise etc. For one, he's an honest guy and I'm sure that his advise is correct.

Menno

damn, that sucks. hopefully it's as good as new after the repairs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gray
    £300 is way too much to replace a crystal, however as it took a whack I suspect they are quoting for crystal, clean and service too - which is probably to be expected in the circumstances. Still seems a bit rich tho'

Bad luck mate
    If you read the information about that particular crystal on the Sinn page, you will find out that this crystal is very difficult and costly to produce, it's just as domed as the plexi crystal and that makes it rather expensive.

So that quote sounds reasonable :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

@ jd - i really do wish i had gone for an acrylic crystal now!! I recall reading somewhere (possibly on here) that the sapphire and acrylic versions have different shaped watch cases so the crystals are not interchangable...i will check this is correct with Sinn but i'm 99.9% sure i read this somewhere from someone else who wanted to replace their crystal.

@ thieuster - thanks for the pointer. I will drop Richie_101 a PM

Shame. I feel for you. How did you pay for it? Do credit cards still have to provide some sort of damage insurance for a few months after purchase? If you paid by cc, you should look into this.

Craftsman

Very sorry to hear this. I have found Sinn fast to respond to emails so hope fully you'll hear back from them quickly on this. Perhaps if you can change the crystal to acrylic that could be a cost saving alternative until you can justify/afford to replace it with sapphire.

All the best,

Matt.

I doubt you will be able to change from a sapphire to an acrylic as generally the case fitting is different.

Mine 356 is acrylic, too many people think sapphire is impervious to anything which is not true at all as you have found out.

Good luck.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

i dont usually drop my watches in the spectacular fashion that i did today. Usually it's things like clipping it again walls etc so that's why i went for the sapphire.

hey ho...lesson learned the hard way :(

What a bummer! Sorry to hear this has happened to you. They way the crack happened isn't something you can plan for but all I know is I will be extra careful myself from now on! My fortis is a pain taking off as the strap is just a tad too short for me and sits on the second to last hole when wearing. This means there is very little strap to hold onto when taking it off.

I remember reading that the omega speedy made its way through the selection process largely because the acrylic crystal wouldn't shatter as easily as sapphire. Only trouble is acrylic isn't as good at dealing with the everyday allday knock and scratch potential!

Hope you find a suitable path through this tedious situation.

How infuriating - especially as it happened in Jura.

On the plus side, the watch shouldn't be more than 60 sec per day out - all Sinn watches are shock resistant (as defined by DIN 8308) and can therefore withstand a 1m drop without major incidence.

Regarding the domed sapphire, here's what Sinn say about it: "The thickness of the sapphire crystal glass blank for our 356 model is roughly 5 mm, i.e. it is much thicker than the blank for a conventional flat glass. The final shape must first be ground out of this blank and then carefully polished."

Master

Maybe clasim on your home contents insurance, if you have accidental cover?
    Probably just an excess to pay.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine at airport security :(

When it's fixed maybe it's time for a deployant...?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Quote Originally Posted by gray

Bad luck mate
    If you read the information about that particular crystal on the Sinn page, you will find out that this crystal is very difficult and costly to produce, it's just as domed as the plexi crystal and that makes it rather expensive.

Daddel.
    Oh I see, it's one of those :shock: I'd still expect them to check the movement over tho' :)
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    How infuriating - especially as it happened in Jura.

On the plus side, the watch shouldn't be more than 60 sec per day out - all Sinn watches are shock resistant (as defined by DIN 8308) and can therefore withstand a 1m drop without major incidence.

Regarding the domed sapphire, here's what Sinn say about it: "The thickness of the sapphire crystal glass blank for our 356 model is roughly 5 mm, i.e. it is much thicker than the blank for a conventional flat glass. The final shape must first be ground out of this blank and then carefully polished."

Same spec as the crystal fitted to the PRS-29B then. Nice profit if you can get it.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Look at the Chronomaster 356 prices.

The acrylic on bracelet £995

The same model on sapphire £1,595

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/sinn_current_stock_2.htm

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ci00aaj
    i dont usually drop my watches in the spectacular fashion that i did today. Usually it's things like clipping it again walls etc so that's why i went for the sapphire.

hey ho...lesson learned the hard way :(
    Clipping brick walls does scratch an acrylic in an instant, I can confirm. :D Swings and roundabouts I suppose. I generally prefer acrylics (and old watches tbh) but I don't know why: I scratch them regularly and I've never damaged a sapphire. So far anyway.

I remember now that the 356 sapphire is a dear one. What a bugger.

Contact Neil at Chronmaster. Official UK agent so can get parts direct from Sinn and use local watchmaker to fix.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

If I was Jura I would try and get it replaced at cost - goodwill and all that. Or at least buy a carpet for my shop.

Pics Added

Someone earlier asked to see pics of the damage to my watch. Here you go:

And...

Master

Ouch , I feeel your pain mate. :(

On the plus side though at least it doesn't look like you damaged the side of the case there close to where the crystal shattered.

Master

Ow. That hurts. What a shame.

There's a bit of discussion about sapph v plexi on the thread about my new-to-me 356.

Hope you get yours sorted out though ci00aaj :)

Please also consider a long wait if the watch is to be sent to Sinn.
    3 to 4 months is a common and normal period.
    At least this is what I have learned sofar of Sinn owners sending their
    watches in, for various kinds of repairs.

Best of luck, and my thoughts are with you.

That really sucks - especially as it is new and you were in a watch shop. Sorry to hear your story.

Daddel.
    Sounds like a blatant gouge to me. My 5 mm thick double domed sapphire with internal AR from Noah was well under $100.

Ouch, thats a real bumber, you don't do things by half my man.

Craftsman

It looks like you're still running that watch. I would hack it until you've had the movement checked and cleaned out. If any glass gets into the movement while running you could be in for a very expensive exercise indeed.

Edit - take a look at this:

http://nickhacko.blogspot.com/2009/05/p ... ystal.html

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Look at the Chronomaster 356 prices.

The acrylic on bracelet £995

The same model on sapphire £1,595

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/sinn_current_stock_2.htm

john
    Blimey they have gone up!

My 356 UTC was £325 new.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner

Daddel.
    Sounds like a blatant gouge to me. My 5 mm thick double domed sapphire with internal AR from Noah was well under $100.
    Very nice......

I've got some double domed sapphires on my watches, but they look nothing like the crystal on the 356, it has nothing to do with being double domed or not. Or having internal AR for that matter.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Just talked to a mate who has a lot of Sinn watches and has dealt with them extensively... They are quite ready to help out it seems (repaired his watch under warranty after it has expired for instance). If you want an acrylic crystal, perhaps they'd be ready to replace the case as well at little cost - if it is unmarked they might reuse yours in their production. I guess it's worth giving it a shot.

Sorry about your mishap, that must hurt (it hurts me just looking at the photo). A bit of advice (coming too late, I know): whenever doing anything with the buckle I raise my thigh and rest the watch against it. Even if your fingers lose grip, it will stay there. I also have at least one end of the strap firmly between my fingers at all times, and use the others to press the strap against the wrist, if possible. I'm quite paranoid about dropping the watch, as you must have noticed :)

@ sweetwater - I've since but the watch to rest so hopefully there isnt to much debris rattling around inside the case. Thanks for the advice.

Doing a bit more reading it seems someone on WUS has managed to get Sinn to replace the sapphire crystal with an acrylic...

Either way i think my options are pretty much limited to returning it to Sinn and paying whatever price they come up with for the repair.

Bloody watches!!!

Re: Pics Added

Quote Originally Posted by ci00aaj
    And...

Oh wow that's painful to watch. :cry: Hope to see it restored as well!

Thats a nightmare, hope it gets sorted, a mate of mine has a £1500 bill from JLC as his watch took a flying lesson from his gym bag as he pulled the towel out, real smashed up.

You can always buy my load of crystals off of SC :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts
    Thats a nightmare, hope it gets sorted, a mate of mine has a £1500 bill from JLC as his watch took a flying lesson from his gym bag as he pulled the towel out...
    Good job he took it off to protect it from any damage occurring to it :D. Very effective precaution obviously. Would have gotten all sweaty otherwise.

scnr :)

Craftsman

Hate to see that- Good luck with the repair

Blog Entries

Don't you have home insurance? :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner

Daddel.
    Very nice......

I've got some double domed sapphires on my watches, but they look nothing like the crystal on the 356, it has nothing to do with being double domed or not. Or having internal AR for that matter.

Daddel.
    What makes the Sinn crystal so expensive to manufacture then?

[quote=jason recliner]
    Quote Originally Posted by "jason recliner":1rj8mfbs

Daddel.
    Very nice......

Daddel.
    What makes the Sinn crystal so expensive to manufacture then?[/quote:1rj8mfbs]

Nothing. It costs a bit more to manufacture than a flat or simple domed crystal, which is being used as an excuse to ask even more than they ask for those. And they are overpriced already, I'd bet.

I would hope that the price quoted is not for simply changing the crystal, but includes at least an inspection and possibly a service. That would be sensible since there might be bits of sapphire in the movement now. But the fact that this watch with sapphire costs about 300 more than the one with acrylic would suggest otherwise. It would appear that this is indeed what they want to just replace the crystal, if they find a cleaning and a service to be necessary, there might be an extra cost for that.

I'm wary of the sapphire crystals in this kind of complicated shape, seems far too risky to me. If it is flat or mildly domed and very thick, ok, but this kind of shape should probably remain the undisputed domain of acrylic.

I'm wary of the sapphire crystals in this kind of complicated shape, seems far too risky to me. If it is flat or mildly domed and very thick, ok, but this kind of shape should probably remain the undisputed domain of acrylic.
    I believe you have a good point there.

Hi All,

Just a quick update on this...I’ve just received a phone call from a lovely woman from Jura Watches. It seems they explained the circumstances in which I cracked the screen to Sinn who in turn have reduced the cost of the replacement to approx 200 euros (from 360 euros) for me :)

A very kind gesture from Sinn and top service from Jura Watches. I’m very happy right now!

Horrible when this happens, i was gutted when i dropped my Deep Sea on a hammer.

That's a fake you finished off?

If not: I feel sorry for you...