closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-2 Dreadnought Part 2

PRS-2 Dreadnought Part 2

Hi,
    my question is:
    Whats going on with the second run of the DN?
    Will we see this watch never ?
    I am waiting for her for about 2 years !
    Shall i save my money for her,or what ?
    I am a little bit confused !? :roll:

There's not going to be a second run. Save for something different instead. Hope this helps :)

There will be a Dreadnought GMT version.

Apparently.....

Jim :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim:

Apparently.....

Okay its the DN-GMT !
    But when will we see her ? :shock:

[quote=ghost dog]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jim:":3c49nd98

Apparently.....

Okay its the DN-GMT !
    But when will we see her ? :shock:[/quote:3c49nd98]

When it's ready, which won't be this year.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Where and when can I put my name down for one? :D

TIA

[quote=swanbourne]
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost dog
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jim:":3c12pmrj

Apparently.....

Okay its the DN-GMT !

Eddie[/quote:3c12pmrj]

I prefer it when we call 'it' a 'she'...

Sunnie

[quote=swanbourne]
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost dog
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jim:":1jnkfmnb

Apparently.....

Okay its the DN-GMT !

Eddie[/quote:1jnkfmnb] :shock: :shock: :shock: (NOT!) :D

...and for the record last it was discussed it doesn't look like it's going to be as big and brawny as the original, unless that changes again.....

Glad I went ahead and obtained one when I did.

I was considering making the DN GMT at least 58mm diameter and 25mm thick. Water resistant to 5000 metres and anti-magnetic to 600,000 A/m. Can't be too careful.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Good, I have just the wheelbarrow to go with it - I'll take one !

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I was considering making the DN GMT at least 58mm diameter and 25mm thick. Water resistant to 5000 metres and anti-magnetic to 600,000 A/m. Can't be too careful.

Eddie
    It would probably be too heavy even to wear around the neck "Flava Fav" style. :twisted:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000
    There's not going to be a second run. Save for something different instead. Hope this helps :)
    Are you something to do with the School of Education at the University of Leeds, because when I look at your web site I keep getting directed there!!!??
    Cheeers,
    Martin

Master
    Blog Entries

Eddie
    Will it come with optional thigh-strap for use by pilots?

Quote Originally Posted by Chisholm
    Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000
    Are you something to do with the School of Education at the University of Leeds, because when I look at your web site I keep getting directed there!!!??
    Cheeers,
    Martin
    dammit, best remove the link and get it sorted. cheers for the heads-up.

Craftsman

Eddie
    Don't forget to secure the glass in case of sudden pressure drop :D (was that an echo :shock: )

BTW, I'd love a high digit A/m to beat what's else out there :twisted:

Cheers

Henrik

you can always get one of these if you like 24mm lugs and no real antimag capability, but a heck of a price if they can pull it off. Must be Asian case though, but at that price can't really complain.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokport
    Don't forget to secure the glass in case of sudden pressure drop :D (was that an echo :shock: )
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    you can always get one of these if you like 24mm lugs and no real antimag capability, but a heck of a price if they can pull it off. Must be Asian case though, but at that price can't really complain.
    Could not resist...

/Stefan

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie

Sunnie
    But the watches we like are logical and dependable :wink: unlike means of transport, commonly called "she", which are squirrely, cantankerous and unreliable.

Ted

I tried to make a comment to the post of the DN clone on Watchuseek but it seems that my registration has disappeared.

Eddie

Grand Master
    I tried to make a comment to the post of the DN clone on Watchuseek but it seems that my registration has disappeared.

Eddie
    That would be the result of the forum crash in February ... all (or the vast majority of) members must re-register on WUS. That is why they have relatively recent "joined"-dates.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

Eddie
    That would be the result of the forum crash in February ... all (or the vast majority of) members must re-register on WUS. That is why they have relatively recent "joined"-dates.
    Sorry Martin but I backup the forum every week and can restore all posts and members (lose 6 days at most). It simply doesn't wash that such a prominent forum as Watchuseek doesn't have backups.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie

Sunnie
    But the watches we like are logical and dependable :wink: unlike means of transport, commonly called "she", which are squirrely, cantankerous and unreliable.

Ted
    LOL :) When you put it like that...

Suddenly my love for inanimate objects and all manner of ungendered 'its' has revived.

Sunnie

Grand Master
    Sorry Martin but I backup the forum every week and can restore all posts and members (lose 6 days at most). It simply doesn't wash that such a prominent forum as Watchuseek doesn't have backups.
    Eddie, I cannot comment on the technology involved, on backups, corrupted data etc. as I am entirely unfamiliar with the backup procedures and the corruption of the backups. But keep in mind that prominent or not, while WUS has a completely different structure from TZ-UK, behind it is just a one-man show, not a major business enterprise, as well.

All I can say is that across the entire WUS community the loss of data is deplored and is considered a major setback for the status of the fora in the watch world (some guys on the High-end Quartz forum e.g. had long-term accuracy tests and are harder hit by the loss of data than "nwespaper"-like fora like Sinn, Pil-Mil or German). We have only in the past few weeks reached the same level of traffic on Pil-Mil and Sinn, and German may still be a bit slower than it was before the crash.

And I am absolutely sure that the loss of registration data has nothing to do with you personally - most members of the fora I look into have had to re-register after the crash.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I don't know why WUS had to start over, but I can attest to the fact that they lost everything somehow. I had to reregister and all of the gallery pics and everything else was gone with the wind........

I see a plongeur watch when I see that watch. I don't see a DN. YMMV. There may be similarities, but it's most likely an Asian made watch (at that price) and it of course doesn't have the antimag, or the Top movt, or the screwed lugs, or the great caseback engraving.......... It even has a crown at 4, not at 3 like the DN.

It looks to be a great beater if they keep the price down and the quality (for that price) up. Nothing more.

I'm sure that they are going to get all their preorders at that intro price.

That being said, I consider the JEA more of a DN clone than any of the others.

I put this is a lower range (due to price and less features, and likely build location) but similar range (looks) to the Sawfish, Rasmus, SEAL......... Again, YMMV.

Bottom line is that many people out there WANT a watch like that and if these guys can provide it for less than US$500 they will sell many of them.

I like it WAY better than the C3 or the Orsa. ;-) ...and those 24mm lugs are nice too.

Master
    I lost my registration on WUS too, so had to re-register. :(

So, no conspiracy.

No conspiracy and no backups. Amazing.

Eddie

Same here, re my registration. I can't imagine any conspiracy. I haven't been on WUS for a while because I seem to spend too much time here... but I have the greatest respect for Ernie and the forae over there.

Sunnie

PS -- I also remember how devastated everyone over there was at the loss of so much data -- much of it prized. I'm really very sorry that that happened to WUS.

I was simply questioning the folly of no backups. It's not the first time it's happened.

The comment about it being a one-man show is irrelevant, there's a lot of us out there like that and some do it without the benefit of 50 moderators.

Eddie

Grand Master
    The comment about it being a one-man show is irrelevant, there's a lot of us out there like that and some do it without the benefit of 50 moderators.
    Eddie,

my comment about the "one-man show" referred to the finances and business behind WUS. I think I even specifically mentioned that WUS has an entirely different structure from TZ-UK. This pertains with respect to both the moderator system and advertisements.

Ernie has taken a different route from you in branching out and having the fora moderated, giving WUS a completely differenet "feel" from TZ-UK. Personally, I enjoy WUS in a different way from TZ-UK, but not more or less.

The point which I was trying to make - and apparently failed - is that the money which is behind WUS is not in a different league from other one-man enterprises. It is not like the moderators are being asked to make a financial contribution to the costs of running WUS, fortunately (vice versa isn't the case either, I might add, also deplorably so ;-)).

As for the technical side, while being an IT-layman, I have administered IT projects for five years now, and I have seen more at-first-sight-inexplicable phenomena than I care for ... what transpires about the WUS crash is that apparently it is not as simple as replacing the data with the backup, or Ernie just would have done it. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    I was simply questioning the folly of no backups. It's not the first time it's happened.

Eddie
    I suppose it all depends. In my last job I was in charge of backing up all the data generated in that month (chemical analysis). The boss had started the system of backing everything up on CD-RW. It was an all right system when we were getting 50-65 samples a month, and generating 2 or 3 CDs worth of data. But within a year after I joined we were running 300-350 samples a month, and with a new analysis instrument that was putting out even more raw data per analysis. Even with compression of data I was burning 15-20 CDs - I was taking a day and a quarter to do all the backup. In the end we ended up getting a removable cartridge hard disk system that just backed up EVERYTHING automatically at the end of the day. Each cartridge was good for about 3-4 months data and cost $180. Cheaper than having me not working analysis for 4-5 days.

Because we were up to our necks in analysis we didn't have time to investigate and study better methods of backup (we're chemists, not computer engineers), so stuck with the same system that had been working, until it nearly broke. What I'm saying is that perhaps Ernie started out with a backup system that was adequate for a small forum. But perhaps the forum outgrew the backup system and he just hasn't had the time/money to update.