closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Remember 1976?

Remember 1976?

Hi all

How about this page from a 1976 Argos catalogue with a Yema chrono and Smiths Astrals! Great fun!!

Click on the image for full size; sorry the thumbnail is shrunken fullsize (200k)

Cheers

Ewan

Ewan, I didn't even know they had Argos in 1976! Looks like they stocked better watches then, or do they just look that way retrospectively?

Maybe I should start hoarding the catalogues from now and see how they look in thirty years' time... yersterday's crap being tomorrow's cool.
    :P

Sunnie

Master
    That Yema chrono looks good for 30 quid - looks like it has a rotating bezel even.

But I just remembered - that was about a week's pay back then!

Ted

1976 the year I got my VFR and drivers license.

I was 7 years old. Only things I vaguely remember were GI Joe figures, Stretch Armstrong, Coleco football, The Jackson 5 and Peanut Butter and Fluffernutter sandwiches. :D

Regards,
    Todd

In 1976 in Argos Norwich I bought a Parker fountain pen & ball point pen boxed set for £5 ... both had gold plated caps ... plating soon wore off ... and I went off buying Parker pens ... because I was working with a colleague who had moved from Brighton ... where his wife had worked as a Parker 'home-worker' ... in her kitchen assembling parker pens from parts ... Parker employed hundreds of female home workers and paid them very low piece-work wages.

Duncan
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    I was 2 in 1976.

I was 13 but I remember my Grandfather, who was part owner of a jewellers/fancy goods market stand, telling me that the Timex's he stocked were just as good as Rolex's. :shock:

I also remember that great heat wave.

Whatever happened to global warming ?

Come back, we miss you.

Master
    I hardly remember - I was born in 1976 :D

1976 was the year I set off for a life on the briny.

I was 8. 8)

Master
    Like Ron, that was the year that I got my driver's license. Also the US Bicentennial. I took my first trip to Europe at Easter time in the spring of '76. 9 days touring Switzerland. I still have the Bucherer pocket watch I bought on that trip.

Thomas Reid
    In March of 1976 I left RCC (Rescue Coordination Center) San Juan, Puerto Rico after two years, and flew to Kodiak, Alaska to join my new ship, USCGC Midgett. The move, in March, from the Caribbean Sea to the Bering Sea was quite a shock.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS Or was that '77?
    :?
    RLF

'76 was also my families first trip to Disney World. My Dad has never been the same since. We pulled a pop-up camper all the way from NY to Florida setting the stupid thing up each night. We stayed at Fort Wilderness on the Disney grounds. My brother and I slept in a tent outside the camper and at night after my parents were asleep we would go off and explore Disney. We would catch a water taxi to the Contemporary and rise the monorail around for hours.

Master
    I remember the long, hot summer of '76 - Kent hasn't been the same since!

I spent time as an exchange student with a French family in St Martin de Brehal, not far from Granville at the base of the Cherbourg Peninsula. The father of the family flew over to Eastleigh airport in what my father always called "a little wind up plane" to collect me.

I also remember seeing King Kong in French.....

Kevin

I became a civilian again in 1976 after 10 years army service. Started work as a hard goods manager with ASDA, which lasted about 7 months until I embarked on a career in sales.

This was also the year I sold my Omega Seamaster on bracelet for £35 so I could buy a Casio 5 function LCD for £37.50. I also remember buying a gold plated hand-winding Omega from Argos in Debenhams, Sheffield, for little more than £20.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I was a Deputy Head in a Primary school. My son was two and my second son was born in December of that year. He is now married with a child of his own!
    Cheers,
    Martin
    :wink:

I turned 5 in October of '76, so memories of that year are, predictably, rather hazy...
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    I was in 6th grade. As I recall, it rained a lot that summer.

Cheers,
    Gert

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gert
    I was in 6th grade. As I recall, it rained a lot that summer.
    Well Gert, I was six in the summer of '76 and I can assure you it did no raining here in SE UK that summer. :-)
    I remember it well...sunburn, heatstroke and melted icecream. :-D

ttfn

JasonG

I was 10, and just starting to hear about a band called The Sex Pistols.

Started taking guitar lessons the same year....

Jim

Master
    Errrr I was 2 years old in '76.

does that make me a lightweight in this forum?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

VA

Congratulations Ewan, you've really started something now!

I suppose 1976 was a pivotal year for me as I turned 21 in the April. I was working in Kent (yes, I too remember the blistering summer that year! 8) ) in a dead-end job in Local Government and realising that I needed a real career... a realisation that took me into the first of my two careers early in '77.

On the plus side I was running both a car and a motorcycle - dammit I should never have given up two wheels... :cry:

Oh, and I had no interest in watches whatsoever!

Simon

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    I was 4 in January '76. Following birthday I got my first watch - a Timex - mechanical too!
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Journeyman
    I was seven..living in Connecticut....got my first watch..and was I excited! One of those digital watches, that would display the red number when you depressed a button on the side....thought it was the cat's meow at the time.

-Jason

Master
    I was 10 in 1976. I have still got the scars to show from the sunburn I got on the coast near Ardglass. Also got sunstroke!
    I recall there was at least one severe Winter then too; was it the winter before Summer 76, or after?
    We used a local flooded quarry as a bike-speedway track. A farmer down the road used to tow us on our makeshift sleds behind his tractor along the snowbound roads. No doubt there would be a law against it now.

Apprentice
    In 1976 I was 26 and rebuilding an old derelict 5 bedroom detached house during the hottest UK summer in years, perhaps ever. My wife, who's from Cyprus had sunstroke after a day on the beach (stones) at Hayling Island! she never ever complained to me again about British summers.

Amid the chaos of heat and rebuilding my boss at BOAC phoned to tell me that I was being sent to work in the middle east. Two days later off I went leaving my wife with our one year old son no kitchen an original Victorian bathroom and most of the floor boards taken up.

All was forgiven when I returned home some months later just in time for Christmas, my normally far from patient wife giving me a fairly expensive 'Rotary' automatic as a present.

The 'Rotary', a tribute to the skills of two generations of Cypriot watch repairers is still ticking happily away dispite being dunked in synthetic hydraulic oil so many times that the dial has turned from a deep blue finish to a beautiful mottled blue, although the seemingly impossible to replace bracelet mounted on a central watch lug is just about to expire :cry:

The un-mortgageable house got finished somehow and unlike the watch we sold it to get something better. Not a bad buy at £13K, the seller loaning us half the money at 1% interest for 10 years just to get rid of the place, but in 1976 £13K was a lot of money for a derelict property :shock: