closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay fees...

Craftsman

eBay fees...

I put a watch on eBay to sell yesterday... however someone has informed me that the fees are now extortionate and I'll be looking at 20% on the end sale. Is this right?! If so I think I'll withdraw it...

Re: eBay fees...

Pretty sure the fees are now 10% capped at £40 - plus the potential 4% you'll get shafted by PayPal for.

Cheers

Master

10% for business sellers, the fees for private sellers are explained in the link below

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/fees.html

Craftsman

cheers people... what was he talking about 20%?!

£40 is a bit much, but I'm impatient so what the hell! :lol:

As I understand, watches currently demand 12% :( It was apparently a stealth increase on the jewellery and watch section. Plenty of articles on google.

Of course, 4% fees from paypal too :x

Just found this article on the eBay community pages, started only 19 days ago.

eBay fees on a £2000 watch would be £240 :!: :shock: Paypal stings you for a further £80...

So, you think you've done well selling a watch for £2000, to only clear £1680.

Your man's 20% isn't a million miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by paulyg
    I put a watch on eBay to sell yesterday... however someone has informed me that the fees are now extortionate and I'll be looking at 20% on the end sale. Is this right?! If so I think I'll withdraw it...
    The fees aren't extortionate. They would be if you were forced and had no choice, but you're not and you do. You just got a free ad on watch talk too! What's the opposite of extortionate?

Go on, what are you selling?

I can see nothing in ebay.co.uk's help files about auction final value fees that says that jewelry/watches will get charged at anything other than 10% capped at £40.
    I sold a camera for £1400 there recently and the fee was £40, I don't see watches being any different. It's a bummer if your selling price is £400 though :)

They recently put up the BIN sellers fees, now in-line with the auctions.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sijoc
    Quote Originally Posted by paulyg
    The fees aren't extortionate. They would be if you were forced and had no choice, but you're not and you do. You just got a free ad on watch talk too! What's the opposite of extortionate?

Go on, what are you selling?
    I don't think he was looking a free ad on watch talk, it was already stated in his SC post that it was on e-bay
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=176539

Although maybe MY post has given him the free ad :lol:

Craftsman

any bumps on any threads are all welcome! :lol:

argh I'm confused now! From what the site says it looks like it's £40 capped...

Craftsman

sod it I'm too lazy to change it now. and it's only money :P

here is a piece i recently sold on the bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:null:IT

Sold for £2500

Fees where £75 + or - £10

Paypal charged me £86

In total i got £2340 for my Dads Oris.... (roughly)

They took roughly £160

But then they are a huge operation with massive overheads, having to manage a large number of complaints etc

With a possible 90% of the complaints being about their extortionate fee :lol:

Craftsman

Yes, it's 10%. Just sold a watch for £310 and got charged £30.98. Then you get hit by Paypal's cut which was £12.80 on the total (£323.00 with P+P)
    Not cheap, but on watches, if your not sure of the kind of price to ask over on the sales forum may be the only way to go :evil:
    Mike

North Londoner, exiled in Leicestershire...

I can see nothing in ebay.co.uk's help files about auction final value fees that says that jewelry/watches will get charged at anything other than 10% capped at £40.
    I sold a camera for £1400 there recently and the fee was £40, I don't see watches being any different. It's a bummer if your selling price is £400 though
    The uncapped 12% flat rate for Watches and Jewellery has already kicked in, and is for Business Sellers . I guess the extra 2% is acceptable, but to remove the upper cap is really going to hurt some of the high-end e-traders. Expect higher reserves or start prices on nice watches from reputable dealers....

I do a lot of trade on the 'bay, and due to my trading volume, they insisted I become a 'business seller' a few months back.

So for example, if I sold a £1000 watch, I previously would have paid £40 in FV fees - it will now be £120.
    Or on a £5k Rolex, the FV fee will jump from £40 to £600!

Which means places like Sales Corner will see a lot more action, I guess!

Personally, I think I'll stick to Seikos....

Mike 8)

The final sales fee for a private seller is 10% capped at £40 (as stated several times already) - where it can mount up is the overall fees being higher due to insertion fees for Buy Now, higher staring figures, reserves, etc.

Moral of the story is start at £1 with an open auction otherwise it will cost ya :wink:

Craftsman

I have often heard opinions about excessive charges for selling a watch on E-Bay. While I agree that with the amount of merchandise that passes through their (virtual) hands, must be un-imaginable, and that they could take a slightly smaller 'cut', I cannot see a more cost effective way of advertising your wares, on a global scale, than on E-Bay.

There are of course, great forums, such as this, but even today, not all who are in the market for a watch, know that they exist, or where to find them!

I am still of the age, whereby I can remember the only way of selling something was in my local newspaper classified section!, hardly global, and thirty pence a word, no photographs, chances of hitting your demographic?

Anyway, as my post score shows, it took another WIS to tell me you guys were here!, a great buyer from Oz, who I encountered on the bay, and I am happy to report, I have already bought from a long time member on this forum.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I have found E-Bay a great tool thus far, and while the charges can make your eyes water, I find the trick is to remember the old days, and ask yourself, how many newspapers would your advert have to be listed in, to reach a comparable audience?

Not so bad really :|

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    The final sales fee for a private seller is 10% capped at £40 (as stated several times already) - where it can mount up is the overall fees being higher due to insertion fees for Buy Now, higher staring figures, reserves, etc.
    There's a fee for staring? :shock: I'm sunk!

Personally I think the fee is usually compensated by the higher price obtained.

I'd prefer less money and deal with folk personally with straight cash or on here with the (mostly) trustworthy audience.

I haven't sold on ebay for years and nowadays wouldn't trust most sellers as far as I could throw them. :?

With certain unusual items to get the real money you would have to go ebay I guess.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Have to get my posts up to 50 to post on sales corner.Have a couple of watches for sale but don't fancy lining ebay an paypals pockets.That'll be one less to go then :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by roondog
    Have to get my posts up to 50 to post on sales corner.Have a couple of watches for sale but don't fancy lining ebay an paypals pockets.That'll be one less to go then :lol:
    That explains it, then.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird
    I do a lot of trade on the 'bay, and due to my trading volume, they insisted I become a 'business seller' a few months back.
    Mike 8)
    Ah, I imagined the OP was a private seller. Presumably once you are 'business' you can't "re-privatise" yourself... :(

Banned
    Blog Entries

Nothing to stop you selling lots of stuff with 15 accounts and remaining Private seller on all of them though.

If you manage to sell enough 5k rolexes to force 15 accounts into the business user category your watches of Switzerland!

Quote Originally Posted by fornowagain
    They recently put up the BIN sellers fees, now in-line with the auctions.

Is it me or have they got this matrix all wrong?

Surely the price should be 0-£400 = 10% and £401+ = £40.

Why have they complicated many of the boxes with "10% upto 400.........."

And what's the point of the "up to £599.99" row if it should actually be upto £400........

Why do I care anyway. I try to avoid the place at all costs!

When you think that Watchfinder charge 10% flat for their commission plus they try the usual cleaning malarky for £50 ebay is not that bad.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy
    When you think that Watchfinder charge 10% flat for their commission plus they try the usual cleaning malarky for £50 ebay is not that bad.
    its 15% now