closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Try Harder!

Master

Try Harder!

I bought the watch depicted below just under a year ago. In the Vostok Europe blurb they say that the watch will keep time to within 30 seconds a day and that it has a reserve of 31 hours! When I actually checked the watch it kept going for over 50 hours, but it was gaining 45 seconds a day! I regulated the watch to the best of my ability and it now keeps time to within less than +2 seconds a day in any position, on or off my wrist!! No kidding! Why couldn't they have spent a few minutes on an electronic timer and played around with the regulating lever, instead of not bothering and claiming only pathetic timekeeping in their advertising? I understand that this movement can be made to keep excellent time as I have discovered myself.

Cheers,
    Martin

Master
    That's a really catching watch i agree that manufactures should spend a bit more time on their products though but it all boils down to profit now

It takes longer to time than to make ...

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master
    This is exactly the same complaint that has always been levelled at Eastern European photographic equipment. In essence it appears that many of the Soviet bloc manufacturers are content to let items roll off the production line as-is, when a small amount of quality control would actually have yielded a much better product.

Kevin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    Especially true for the Seiko 7S25, 26, and -36, as they're assembled by robots. But for the hobby horologer they offer an opportunity to get a new toy for fifty bucks and have fun fiddling with it :)

Nice watch, Martin!

Cheers,
    Gert

Would you rather get them for a bargain price and then spend a little time regulating them yourself or pay twice as much and have them regulated at the factory? I know which I prefer :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonH
    Would you rather get them for a bargain price and then spend a little time regulating them yourself or pay twice as much and have them regulated at the factory? I know which I prefer :)
    I actually enjoy fiddling about with my new watches. What I hadn't mentioned, was the fact that this watch had misaligned hands when it arrived. I have the tools, so I refitted them so the are bang on, ie. when the big hand is on the 12 the small hand is bang on the hour!
    Cheers,
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Gert

john
    Especially true for the Seiko 7S25, 26, and -36, as they're assembled by robots. But for the hobby horologer they offer an opportunity to get a new toy for fifty bucks and have fun fiddling with it :)

Nice watch, Martin!

Cheers,
    Gert
    Sorry, I was talking about Russian watches. With Japanese the parameters are different. Going back to the Russian ... there have always been quality control issues with Russian watches ... but as with all Russian products once you get 'a good one' or know how to 'get it right', then you have a watch for life.

The Vostok is not for me but I can appreciate why people outside Russia like them.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Thomas Reid

Sorry, I was talking about Russian watches. With Japanese the parameters are different. Going back to the Russian ... there have always been quality control issues with Russian watches ... but as with all Russian products once you get 'a good one' or know how to 'get it right', then you have a watch for life.

The Vostok is not for me but I can appreciate why people outside Russia like them.

john
    Here is a Russian I look forward to looking at more closely. Crude finishing, but a nice balance, with Brueget overcoil.
    It runs now, but I want to overhaul it before I do anything with it. (Too much material; too little time.) I get the impression that it will run well.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman

john
    Well - regulating a watch is a matter of a few minutes if you have a measuring equipment worth some USD 300 or so. Not a big deal. Russian wages are not among the highest in the world, so a little work would make a lot of quality improvement.