closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cyprus?

Master

Cyprus?

Going to Cyprus on business. Any chance of vintage buys, please?

Foggy's yer man for this.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Ive been loads of times, stayed all over the island on both sides and Ive never found anything interesting, just fakes and the usual stuff! Foggy has a nose for hunting vintage watches out, I think he knows a man in Larnaca.

Master
    Hiho,

There are a couple of dealers in the little roads that run along behind the "strip"in Larnaca, Palm Beach IIRC. I never found anything much though. :-( Oh, and I did spot a few vintage in a dealer window in the top of Pafos, next to a nice cafe, right close to the bus stop that takes you down to the bottom of the town. :-)

ttfn

JasonG

Craftsman
    Never been to Cyprus, even though it looks like a really nice and friendly place. I do not know the language and I'm afraid there always is a small chance that it could be taken as impolite by some if I try to enjoy the place without enough (exact) knowledge on how to pronounce correctly, spell or make use of correct sentence structure, internal humour, slang etc.. as used by the natives on the island.
    So I am sorry to say I can not share any usefull information on the subject.

Wish you a happy trip though and good watch hunting, or perhaps fishing...

Master
    I got to Cyprus with the RM then we where banned as a corp for 15 years i think i'd only been there 24 bloody hours looked forward to that tour for ages :( never been back since :lol: In fairness after what happened it was a fair decision

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck
    I got to Cyprus with the RM then we where banned as a corp for 15 years i think i'd only been there 24 bloody hours looked forward to that tour for ages :( never been back since :lol: In fairness after what happened it was a fair decision
    Really? Imagine that. Royal Marines banned? What happened then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael in Frisco, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck
    Really? Imagine that. Royal Marines banned? What happened then?
    A while back there was a lot of troubled caused by booties on the piss in tourist area's a few murders, rapes etc it was decided to remove them. sure this has been smoothed over etc now and it brough alot of shame on the corp at the tiem

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KH2
    Never been to Cyprus, even though it looks like a really nice and friendly place. I do not know the language and I'm afraid there always is a small chance that it could be taken as impolite by some if I try to enjoy the place without enough (exact) knowledge on how to pronounce correctly, spell or make use of correct sentence structure, internal humour, slang etc.. as used by the natives on the island.
    So I am sorry to say I can not share any usefull information on the subject.
    Wish you a happy trip though and good watch hunting, or perhaps fishing...
    OK. Enough. I surrender. I shall never comment again on the language of anybody's post. Satisfied?

:thumbright: :thumbleft: :thumbright: :thumbleft: :thumbright:

Simon

Apprentice

Re: Cyprus?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker
    Going to Cyprus on business. Any chance of vintage buys, please?
    Cyprus (RoC) is my home base for working in and around the middle east. Nice place (away from the tourist area's), sadly I never get enough time to enjoy the country for more than a couple of days at a time each month.

As for vintage buys, I'm always looking but with little success except in Larnaca close to Ayios (Saint) Lazarus church.

I will not give directions how to get there as I dont know from which direction you will be coming and Larnaca town's road system is to say the least more than a little confusing! But assuming you are in Larnaca ask anyone where Ayios Lazarus church is and you will soon find it.

Once at the church stand with your back to the bell tower and look down the road in front of you, on the right hand side leading away from the church you will see the following

Small tourist type mini market
    Smart cafe (same building as above but seperated by a vehicle entrance)
    Taxi Office
    Estate Agents (on a corner)
    Small road
    Empty Shop (on a corner)
    Clock and Watch sales and repairs (your there!)

I estimate that the shop is less than a minutes walk from where you will be standing but watch out for the traffic as Cypriots tend to drive while either or a combination of all, using a mobile smoking eating a hot sandwich shouting at the kids in the back seat and looking at the girls!

For the life of me I cant remember the name of the shop owner but he's pretty genuine. Window display has two trays of NOS/pre owned, nothing very exciting but none the less still interesting and there may be better stuff tucked away out of sight. Avoid shopping around lunch time as Cypriot lunch breaks are extremely flexible

As for the rest of Larnaca and Cyprus (RoC) have a look in some of the second hand and charity shops, usually in the back streets of the main towns you never know what you may come across.

What's available in Turkish occupied/liberated (depending upon your point of view) Northern Cyprus I cannot say as I was last there in 1974 when I ended up abandoning everything except for the wife and running for my life. Being married to a Greek was perhaps not the best situation to be in with Turkish tanks rolling down the street! These days you can cross over the de-facto border without to much hassle and Turkish Nicosia may have more to offer.

If you do go to the Turkish north and should you come across my Dad's 1960's gold Tudor gents watch (back engraved, W. F. Rawlingson 1927 - 1967 Kearly & Tounge Ltd) I'll gladly buy it off you at the market price, I've given up on ever getting the house or my Triumph Herald back but the watch, well thats just to precious ever to give up on.

Happy Hunting

Re: Cyprus?

Welcome to the forum ?rotate?.

Quote Originally Posted by rotate
    .............. Cypriots tend to drive while either or a combination of all, using a mobile smoking eating a hot sandwich shouting at the kids in the back seat and looking at the girls!

It's called multi-tasking ... I should know, I'm a Cypriot. :lol: And if you think Cyprus is bad with the driving ... try Portugal ... they are insane.

So, what watches have you got then?

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Grand Master
    Welcome to the forum, "rotate" ... I am happy to announce that while I am not a Cypriot myself, Cyprus was the homebase of the displaced Kings of Jerusalem at some time. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")