closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seamaster 300m chronograph 'tells'.

Journeyman

Seamaster 300m chronograph 'tells'.

Hi all,

I have seen a 2007 seamaster chronograph 300m advertised not too far away from me. It is a private sale and I'm going just to look at it initially. It doesn't have the receipt but it has the boxes and cards, the seller says it is definately genuine (as I expect they would) and was a gift.

When i searched for fake 'tells' on google I was scared by the quality of some of the fakes for sale in the dodgy online shops... :/ I have got a list in my head of what to look out for to check it's genuine but could do with a little help as my knowledge is limted:

1) I will look for the globe on the back case. Do all 300m chrono's have this? Have the cartels managed to copy this yet?

2) Is checking the lume still a good idea to see if it's gen?

3) As it's a 2007 model it'll have the serial on the lug, do the rep people do this too? :/

4) Does anyone else have any pointers I should look out for?

I am not taking money with me on this visit so I will not make a reckless purchase :)

There is no AD for miles around, would a normal jeweller be able to provide authenticity?

Many thanks for reading my rambling post!

Lew

Re: Seamaster 300m chronograph 'tells'.

There should be a red dot on the caseback - put there by Omega to show whether or not the case back has ever been opened.

I cant get a pic in work (firewalls!) but the 1st image on this search shows you it: http://images.google.co.uk/search?hl=en ... =&aql=&oq=

Make sure that the card numbers match and match the lugs - take a print of the model off Omega's web site and take it with you - on most fakes the sub dials are in the wrong place IIRC.

I really don't like this model to be honest - but that is just me.
    It's just a matter of time...

It looks like you've done your research 8)

It goes without saying I'm sure, but 'buy the seller' - does this seem like the sort of thing they are used to selling, owning etc. Do you feel uncomfortable etc etc.

Take a note of the serial and google it. The fakes that have serials tend to use a handful of numbers that seem known on the web. You can ask Omega but they don't exactly respond quickly :roll:

Gut feel rules here. Is there anyone else you can take along (not a bad idea fullstop!) for a second opinion?

If it seems too good to be true... there's a reason. 300m Chronos don't seem that rare so I would err on the side of walking away if you're unsure.

Good luck!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i think the globe was introduced around the 2007 year so it may still be possible that the smp youre looking at doesnt have it.. may not mean its a fake.

the red dot isnt a great marker because they wash off really easily.

to be honest.. if you arent going to spend money today.. if i were you id take a couple of pictures and post them on here for this lot (scuse phrase) to have a nose at.

ive fallen into the trap of reading reams and reams about counterfeit omega on the internet.. some of the information on the anti fake "tell" lists was flat out wrong.. and when i repeated it on here i made a right proper arse out of myself.. id skip the site scanning and ask the forum instead.
    its what ultimately worked best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE
    There should be a red dot on the caseback - put there by Omega to show whether or not the case back has ever been opened.

I cant get a pic in work (firewalls!) but the 1st image on this search shows you it: http://images.google.co.uk/search?hl=en ... =&aql=&oq=
    The red will come off after a few scrubs of a tooth brush, so don't use that as an indicator.

The AC globe is not on all of them.

Take some decent pictures of it and post them up here.

Journeyman

Thanks for the replies!

I've got a serial number, which matches the lugs and card, and Omega UK have just confirmed it's a registered serial for that particular model. Not sure if this is good news or no news really tho... as it doesn't help with authenticity unless I send it in. :/

Journeyman

Re: Seamaster 300m. Very important is------>

that the serial number on the movement matches the one on the seven o'clock lug.

When I bought mine, the seller opened the watch and confirmed
    that the numbers matched.

I've seen several with the number ground off the movement, or the numbers lasered off the lug.

If all numbers aren't present or don't match…walk away…

Joel M

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    i think the globe was introduced around the 2007 year so it may still be possible that the smp youre looking at doesnt have it.. may not mean its a fake.

the red dot isnt a great marker because they wash off really easily.

to be honest.. if you arent going to spend money today.. if i were you id take a couple of pictures and post them on here for this lot (scuse phrase) to have a nose at.

ive fallen into the trap of reading reams and reams about counterfeit omega on the internet.. some of the information on the anti fake "tell" lists was flat out wrong.. and when i repeated it on here i made a right proper arse out of myself.. id skip the site scanning and ask the forum instead.
    its what ultimately worked best for me.
    Globe late 2004 onwards.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Joel M in New Jersey
    that the serial number on the movement matches the one on the seven o'clock lug.

When I bought mine, the seller opened the watch and confirmed
    that the numbers matched.

I've seen several with the number ground off the movement, or the numbers lasered off the lug.

If all numbers aren't present or don't match…walk away…

Joel M
    Hey Joel,

I really don't profess any knowledge, except perhaps enough to get me into trouble but, is your sig "1/13 2/14/ 3/15 4/16 5/17 6/18 7/19 8/20 9/21 10/22 11/23 12/24" referencing Albelian Group Elements, notably the Permutation Group with generators?

..and if so, what does it all mean oh Sage and wise one? :wink:

Cheers
    Gray

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by gray
    Hey Joel,

I really don't profess any knowledge, except perhaps enough to get me into trouble but, is your sig "1/13 2/14/ 3/15 4/16 5/17 6/18 7/19 8/20 9/21 10/22 11/23 12/24" referencing Albelian Group Elements, notably the Permutation Group with generators?

..and if so, what does it all mean oh Sage and wise one? :wink:

Cheers
    I think it could just be 24 hour clock :wink:

Apologies to the OP for not helping his issue.

Hey was on holiday in Thailand and they have some really good fakes automatic movement quite hard to tell at a glance but none had the globe on the back , the lume was rubbish and the 007 ones had the serial number 001 of 5001 on all of em lol. the bezels were not very good either the blue didnt match. Probabley the biggest tell was the quality of the bracelet hard to reproduce a 400 pound bracelet on a 50 pound fake and they were the top end ones.hope this helps as someone else said buy the seller first good luck

Journeyman

thanks, I shall look at the bracelet too, hadn't thought of that. I have a feeling they won't let me take the back off the watch haha. But if they agree I could take it to a normal jewellers in town and get them to do it for a few quid...

Can anyone confirm if the 2007 Chronograph Seamaster has the globe on the back or if it's hit and miss with this?

Hi,

The bracelet should also be very flexible in general (almost without play sideways) especially on both sides next to the clasp!
    The first links left and right next to it, have really round edges on one side.
    You can fold the bracelet there in a angle of 90 degrees without any nasty "resistance"
    The bracelet of the fake ones I've seen struggle with this test, and almost get stuck doing so.

And there's also the metallic "sound" when you move the bracelet around which is a give away. The fake one's really sound "cheap"
    Also the holes in the caseback should be quite deap. The fake ones almost have to depth at all. See Photo one. Also the Seamaster engraving on the clasp should be nice and deep!

Iook also at the picture's of my 007 SMP. On the second picture you can see the rounded shape at one side of the first link next to the clasp. Clearly visable!
    Good luck with the purchase of this all time classic!

Kind reg,

Nico.

Journeyman

Gray, Eimeister is correct. My signature is simply------>

the corresponding numbers on a 1-12/13-24 military dial!

Cheers… Joel M

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic

Globe late 2004 onwards.
    is that the case for po's as well?
    I've seen a few without globes.

Re: Gray, Eimeister is correct. My signature is simply------>

Quote Originally Posted by Joel M in New Jersey
    the corresponding numbers on a 1-12/13-24 military dial!

Cheers… Joel M
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

.. and there was me being obsessed with a secret code :roll:

- although it still represents the self same thing - 24 hour referencing!
    Gray

Journeyman

I've been away for a few days so I'm going to look at the watch this week. I was just wondering if anyone else can confirm the globe is on the case back of a 2007 300m chronometer? Thanks.

I have a 2007 Chrono - last of the model without the applied markers and applied Omega logo.
    It has no globe.