closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could only have one watch........ what would it be?

If you could only have one watch........ what would it be?

OK we've played this game before, but here's a slightly new take on it. I have a bunch of money tied up in a load of watches. I hope to be in a position to buy a flat in the next 2 months and was seriously considering selling just about everything to raise deposit money. It got me to wondering about if I had to keep one watch, but then I thought, what if I sold everything and could buy just one watch. What would it be? What watch would I wear everyday and hand down to my son.

Now everyone knows me as Dr. Doxa, well this may come as a :shock: but the watch I'd buy would be a Rolex. Either a Sea-Dweller or Submariner (and pull the date cyclops off it.

Anyone suprised? Well I am. I wear my SUB 750T almost every day and I love it, but the only one watch thing would mean it goes. I don't know what it is about the Rolex, maybe it is the name, maybe the fact it has an inhouse movement, maybe the fact they are the most copied watch in the world and are horendously expensive to service all add up to something intangiable.

The wife wears my old Rolex Airking every Sunday (I had to get a crappy bracelet and size it because she has the smallest wrists in the world). I was going to sell it years ago (because it is a bit small and I never wear it) when she looked at it and went... "that is the same as my Dad's) - who died years ago. Ofcourse I didn't sell it and it is her pride and joy. Somehow she associates that watch with her father, but she also associates it with a little bit of luxury. Does Rolex instill that in people who wear them? I think so and that is probably part of their alure.

Hmmmmmmm, hard decisions ahead.

Pete

PS image shamelessly stolen from John Holbrooks site

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/

Master
    It would have to be my Airman.

A good all-rounder: 24h display for cave exploration or Scandinavian winters, 2. timezone on the bezel for travel. Can be used from casual up to medium-dressy situations. 20 Atm WR and gains less than 1 sec per day on the wrist. 38 mm size means it won't look like a hockey puck when oversize watches go out of fashion :twisted:

Cheers,
    Gert

If I were to have just one watch to have and to take with me wherever I may go, it would be very hard to top where this watch has already been, and excelling in its travels I might add. Not to mention the fact that, even though its design is some 40 years old, it is still, IMO, beautiful to look at.

Dave

I'm aware of the Rolex mystique, but I want to escape it by seeing excellence in other watches. Therefore, if I had to keep one (and it would be hard to choose) that was an automatic I'd choose the IWC Aquatimer (the older style). Pretty close second would be the Sinn EZM1 -- my hunch is that it will be seen as quite a historically significant watch in time.

For what it's worth, if it was down to keeping three watches, I would save the Rolex Datejust because it is a classic, wearable, versatile and very good looking watch. And because of the 'common mystique'.

Sunnie

Master
    What would I buy if I sold all of my watches and could only buy one watch?

It would be:

Chronograph 3-register
    Quartz :shock:
    Analog only
    Slide Rule Bezel
    Big-ish
    Medium price

e.g. . . . .

Cheers,

Ted

I'll go along with you Pete.... :wink:

Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Hmm, I think I'd like an automatic dressy watch such as the Lange & Sohne Langematik, or an AP or PP equivalent. Of course, at the moment I have nothing like the money needed to buy one of them...

Kind regards

The watch

Hi,
    my choice is the Doxa-Caribbean 750T !

Thies

At this point? The IWC Ingenieur, b/c I want one.

Craftsman
    I've basically had to make the same decision recently; my little one is about to begin a private school in May that will cost me about $15,000 a year for the next 14 years.....(with college to follow!), so I've been struggling to find the one that I can settle with (although not in the cost league of the Rolex)....it was this close to being a Doxa 600t Sharkhunter, but since i couldn't seem to live without trit tubes, it looks like this is going to be it..

Pete, if the Doxaholics get wind of this thread you are in big trouble! (especially after that Conquistador thread!) 8)

Thomas Reid

Best wishes,
    Bob

For me, the keeper would be my '66 5513 Sub.

Cheers

Foggy

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    The quest for an "ultimate watch", a watch to end all watches, is invariably futile. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

You are right Tallguy :lol:

But when I said I'd rather have the Conquistador over anything I was saying it from a position of keeping all the watches I have and in that case, the Conquistador is unique compared to a nice new Rolex. However, the problem with keeping the Conquistador as my only watch is I wouldn't wear it. Can you imaging how I'd feel trashing it doing something stupid. Rolex can be replaced but the Doxa conquistador lives in a dark box and is only worn occasionally. Seems a real waste. It really deserves to belong to someone who will wear it.

Pete

I refuse to reduce myself to one. :evil:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    Like you John, I don't even like to think about it

Jon

Tough call. If I can only have one watch from my present collection, it will need to be my Exporer II for its versatility and its sentimental values.
    On the other hand, if I am starting from scratch and can have only one watch for the rest of my life, I'll probably go for a subtle dressy diver like the IWC AT.

Buy either Rolex - that way you can enjoy a robust fine, multi-function watch. One of the functions would be saleability - for when next week, next month or next year, you want to start a new collection, the watch will have good resale and will not have depreciated as much as many in the price range or lower :)
    My current ultimate watch since it is my only watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    The quest for an "ultimate watch", a watch to end all watches, is invariably futile. :wink:
    Or is it? I live in hope :D

john
    Me too. :!:

The only time I ever had just one watch was when my parents bought me my first real watch from the Army Surpluss in the early 1950s..............

Still have it, still going strong (and it's never been serviced :shock: )

Many other watches have come and gone, many have stayed. I could never envisage having only one watch. EVER. :)

p.s. Can anyone interpret the markings for me? Never did understand military markings.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    It would have to be my SD as its the only watch i actualy wear no matter what i'm doing but i'm thinking of a gsar just to ease the abuse my SD is getting and tritum lume but just one it would have to be the SD

Master
    and are horendously expensive to service
    No they are not.

Also parts prices are very reasonable.

It would be this one.

Not least because the experience of buying it was such fun and remembering it always brings a smile to my face.

The internet is great place to buy watches but it lacks the theatrical backdrop of a high end watch shop.

To my mind nothing compares to walking into a city centre jewellers with £2000 in your pocket and spending the next hour or two comparing your choice to all the other fantastic watches they have to offer.

I did this with the wife in tow and I?m sure that her Rolex convinced them that we were serious and led to a very co-operative approach.

I was a Bank Holiday Monday morning pouring with rain. 3 staff and us were the only people in the shop and the kids were at my mother's. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

I?m sure the fact that so many of them are bought in these kinds of circumstances is a big part of the Rolex mystique.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold

p.s. Can anyone interpret the markings for me? Never did understand military markings.
    The British military Stores system used and may still use an ID know as the Section & Reference. I'm guessing that the "section" part was originally a physical section in a big book. That takes care of the "6S/TP". Later, numbers were used for the "reference" part, e.g. 6B/346.
    The "P24114" is most likely a serial number, with the P having some significance lost in time.
    And the good old "broad arrow" originally meaning "property of the War Department".

Others may know more.

Ted

Im another in the Rolex camp; my Sub would be THE keeper....
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
    You are right Tallguy :lol:

But when I said I'd rather have the Conquistador over anything I was saying it from a position of keeping all the watches I have and in that case, the Conquistador is unique compared to a nice new Rolex. However, the problem with keeping the Conquistador as my only watch is I wouldn't wear it. Can you imaging how I'd feel trashing it doing something stupid. Rolex can be replaced but the Doxa conquistador lives in a dark box and is only worn occasionally. Seems a real waste. It really deserves to belong to someone who will wear it.

Pete
    makes sense....hope you can get your flat selling everything BUT that one!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    To my mind nothing compares to walking into a city centre jewellers with £2000 in your pocket and spending the next hour or two comparing your choice to all the other fantastic watches they have to offer.

I did this with the wife in tow and I?m sure that her Rolex convinced them that we were serious and led to a very co-operative approach.

I was a Bank Holiday Monday morning pouring with rain. 3 staff and us were the only people in the shop and the kids were at my mother's. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

I?m sure the fact that so many of them are bought in these kinds of circumstances is a big part of the Rolex mystique.
    Hmmm ... that surely explains why Rolex has been at the forefront of waterproofing everyday watches. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Yeah im with the majority, I love my GMT2 - I bought it new from AD and will never sell it, everything else is/has been cool but 95% of them could go tomorrow if they had to and the other 5% would only go if I was extra short.

Interesting to note how many people who get known for their support/love of other brands would still have a rolex as their own watch - especially when the forums love to bash them... :D

On more vote for the Sea Dweller, I'm afraid. It exudes a magnificent feeling of solidity, and I wouldn't be afraid to wear it 24/7. I would be sorry to see my other watches go, but I like the looks, the presence, and the feel-good factor of the Rolex. It's a great watch! :)

Master
    This one.

But it would have to be on the massive stainless steel bracelet!
    Cheers,
    Martin

Master

john
    The whole point was "it's the watches or a flat for the family." If that were the case, what would you do? Or do you keep renting?

For me, it'd be the Heuer Bund, plus my beater SS Marathon Navigator (must have a beater, plus it's probably not worth so much anymore).

Ted (xpatUSA), I think Griswold's watch starts with a GS and not a 6S (at least that's what it looks like to me). Does't GS stand for Government or General Services?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Si
    and are horendously expensive to service
    No they are not.

Also parts prices are very reasonable.
    Hmmm? I see no smile face, LOL or winking face icon there. Did someone just win the Mega-lotto and not tell us?

For my pocketbook I consider Rolex a very expensive watch to service. They never just do a "small" service. Everytime they open the things they charge the fixed complete overhaul price (whether it needs it or not) - which is great if you are sending them a trashed watch that needs a new crystal, case, and a completely rebuilt movement. But if you have taken good care of the watch, and it just needs a simple CLA, then that charge is way out of order by perhaps 3 or 4 times (at least here in the US).

I can only manage to get down to THREE

PRS-1, PRS-2, & Moonwatch 8)

I'd find it difficult to have just one.....but if pushed it would be my 1974 Seamaster 120M Chrono. Love the bezel, the movement, the styling.....and I can just about get it on under a shirt cuff so work wear is OK too....just :lol:

Sanjay

What a question!

I don't have an answer, I haven't experienced enough watches yet.... :wink:

Cheers,

Jim

Master
    As boring as it seems - I'd also vote for the Sea-Dweller. Rock solid, goes with everything from a tux to a wetsuit, comfortable and seems to have stood the test of time. In my case - it was also a wedding gift from my wife so I wouldn't really have a choice :)

I'd be very sad to let my '67 Speedmaster go though.

Casting yet another Rolex vote. I've had the SD... But I still like my Sub better because I can actually read the date sans spectacles.

Although, the SMP was one of my first really "nice" watches... Hmm. :?

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA

The British military Stores system used and may still use an ID know as the Section & Reference. I'm guessing that the "section" part was originally a physical section in a big book. That takes care of the "6S/TP". Later, numbers were used for the "reference" part, e.g. 6B/346.
    The "P24114" is most likely a serial number, with the P having some significance lost in time.
    And the good old "broad arrow" originally meaning "property of the War Department".

Others may know more.

I've just read somewhere that GSTP stands for General Service Temporary Pattern.

FWIW.

Cheers,

Jim

Ted

It would be this one.

Not least because the experience of buying it was such fun and remembering it always brings a smile to my face.

The internet is great place to buy watches but it lacks the theatrical backdrop of a high end watch shop.

I think that one is one my 'one day' list. A classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim:
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA

Others may know more.

I've just read somewhere that GSTP stands for General Service Temporary Pattern.

FWIW.

Cheers,

Jim

Ted
    Thanks Ted and Jim. :) :)

I presume then that the watch was built as a temporary expedient, possibly in leu of a new design being implemented?

Given when it was bought (50's) I would have thought that most watches being issued then would have been wristwatches. Maybe it was NOS pre-WWII stock?

It does keep rather good time, particularly given its age and the lack of any servicing. Got a gorgeously LOUD tick as well. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    Given when it was bought (50's) I would have thought that most watches being issued then would have been wristwatches. Maybe it was NOS pre-WWII stock?
    I am usually surprised, perusing the military timepieces books by Knirim, Wesolowski and Whitney, at the myriad of pocketwatches and timers available to the military ... my hunch is that pocketwatches were important as a machanical time reference (much like deckwatches), needing adjustment only in one position and therefore superior to wristwatches for timekeeping accuracy.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    I like the Explorer. Simple. Elegant. Classic.

For those same reasons, I also like the PP Aquanaut.

Master
    I also think a one watch option, for me anyway, would be this JLC.

You can have my watches when you prise them from my cold, dead fingers! 8)

But seriously, I suspect my Sinn 656 would be the very last one to go if someone had a gun to my head. Clean, classic and tough, and looks good in all situations.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    Yes it is. Abandon all hope :cry: .

/Stefan

Master

It does keep rather good time, particularly given its age and the lack of any servicing. Got a gorgeously LOUD tick as well. :)
    IMHO, the style of the watch puts in the 1910-1930 range, definitely pre-WWII.

I bow to superior knowledge on the GB/TP this forum is amazing with the range of expertise of it's members!!

Ted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    Yes it is. Abandon all hope :cry: .

/Stefan
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    You can have my watches when you prise them from my cold, dead fingers! 8)
    That puts me in mind of Jerome K Jerome.

"If a man stopped me in the street, and demanded of me my watch," observed Jerome, "I should refuse to give it to him. If he threatened to take it by force, I feel I should, though not a fighting man, do my best to protect it."

"If, on the other hand, he should assert his intention of trying to obtain it by means of an action in any court of law, I should take it out of my pocket and hand it to him, and think I had got off cheaply." :wink: :lol:

James Baker

3000m

I'd have this 3000 meter monster of the deep over just about anything 8)

Thanks to Image Shack for free image hosting.

Well, I'd have either that or a shiny new Seadweller :wink:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sijoc
    It would be this one.

I think that one is one my 'one day' list. A classic.
    In a narrow, corner-cutting, price-cutting, nasty little world, what a sensible post! :)