OK we've played this game before, but here's a slightly new take on it. I have a bunch of money tied up in a load of watches. I hope to be in a position to buy a flat in the next 2 months and was seriously considering selling just about everything to raise deposit money. It got me to wondering about if I had to keep one watch, but then I thought, what if I sold everything and could buy just one watch. What would it be? What watch would I wear everyday and hand down to my son.

Now everyone knows me as Dr. Doxa, well this may come as a :shock: but the watch I'd buy would be a Rolex. Either a Sea-Dweller or Submariner (and pull the date cyclops off it.

Anyone suprised? Well I am. I wear my SUB 750T almost every day and I love it, but the only one watch thing would mean it goes. I don't know what it is about the Rolex, maybe it is the name, maybe the fact it has an inhouse movement, maybe the fact they are the most copied watch in the world and are horendously expensive to service all add up to something intangiable.

The wife wears my old Rolex Airking every Sunday (I had to get a crappy bracelet and size it because she has the smallest wrists in the world). I was going to sell it years ago (because it is a bit small and I never wear it) when she looked at it and went... "that is the same as my Dad's) - who died years ago. Ofcourse I didn't sell it and it is her pride and joy. Somehow she associates that watch with her father, but she also associates it with a little bit of luxury. Does Rolex instill that in people who wear them? I think so and that is probably part of their alure.

Hmmmmmmm, hard decisions ahead.

Pete

PS image shamelessly stolen from John Holbrooks site

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/