closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Revue Thommen 300 Diver

Revue Thommen 300 Diver

I’ve been meaning to do a review of the Revue Thommen diver for sometime.
    I bought the watch on a bit of a whim. I looking at Omega 45mm PO’s trying on the full size black and the orange bezel in Goldsmiths. So when the RT came up in SC I felt a scratch needed to be inched.
    There were other considerations, the RT is very unique in its style and it really caught my attention. It was also available at an incredibly low price. :lol:
    Now I don’t want to do the RT down and make it out to be just another homage watch its far more than that.
    In fact the RT stands on its own with its own unique look.

First off here are the dimensions and configuration
    The RT 17030.2137 is 44.5 mm including bezel, which is a 60 click anti clock wise turn.
    Lug to lug this beast is 53mm
    With its huge crown, RT is 50mm
    The brute weighs a whopping 235grams
    It has an ETA 2824-2 25Jewel movement
    Sapphire glass with Cyclops at the date window
    1000ft water resistant automatic.

So on the face of it the watch looks a bit of a bitsa, stealing clues from PO’s, subs etc. Well that is true, but what I like is that it has been done subtlety and that it works!
    Not having crown guards does set its look apart, giving it a Rolex/Tudor Oyster Prince look. Eddie of course famously achieved the effect with the Precista PRS -50 B.
    The knurled Marathonish 5mm crown is a massive feature, but not intrusive on my 8” wrist.
    This watch is brutish and not for the slight of wrist.
    The arrow hands are a direct steal from the PO with the number inserts also PO/Railmaster style.
    The dial is matt in finish with the RT logo in good proportion with the rest of the face. The chrono version of this watch is far more fussy and cluttered and is not to my liking at all.

From what I can gather the RT 300 Diver was built for a year circa 2008. Many of them seem to have ended up in the States but quite a few reside here in the UK & certainly in Germany where RT and Grovana are held in high esteem. Grovana seem to have put the 300 diver together.

Summary
    On the plus side this is a very big diver that is built like a tank. It is very flexible to strap and bracelet change. Mine came on a rubber but had been converted to a 24mm lumpy which makes it weigh a ton. The RT is a bully boy and has a presence, it has the look of a very expensive watch and feel like real quality when handled.
    If there are negatives then perhaps it hinge around the Cyclops which is pretty weak. I toyed with removing it, but cried off after reading disaster posts. In fact I’ve grown to like it. The luminance is not that of an SMP but having said that it works, but certainly will not be accused of causing light pollution.
    Why RT discontinued it who knows? Obviously the size may have had a lot to do with it. But looking at TW Steele etc in the high street, this big boy kicks sand in their faces.
    They come up on SC from time to time circa £200, if you want a beater that looks like doorman then the RT Diver is your man. If subtlety is your flavour then stay clear, for this colossus backs down for very few.

Now on mesh still looks the part :)

On a DB10 :)

Re: Revue Thommen 300 Diver

Stunning

Craftsman

Like that but dont think I could pull off that sized watch.

Nice watch. This brand has one of the best price / performance in the watch industry.
    http://www.revue-thommen.ch/

Seems to have a number of in house movements.

They have a true aerospace heritage too
    http://www.thommenag.ch/

This will probably be my next buy, for the cost-saver category.
    This watch has almost everything!

Great design, right diameter (for an allround diver), easy-to-maintain movement,
    sapphire glass (which is not to be taken for granted in this price range),
    looks very nice with almost every strap color (even with mesh bracelets), all in all, excellent value for money !

What more can one ask ?

Interesting - it has Omega styled hands... :roll:
    Nice watch indeed!

Master

Great review. It prompted me to add one to my collection - bought this new off Amazon, quite a lot for not alot :)

Thanks for adding the pic's Lomax. The RT 300 Diver is an absolute stunner. I've shifted the 2254 and not missed for a second. But not ready to let this RT baby leave the nest. She stands her ground with watches 3 times her value, in fact up against a Breitling diver or PO you'd be hard pushed to pick out which is the better watch.
    So pleased you found one....enjoy :D