closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any ideas how to get scratches out of watch crystals/glass?

Master

Any ideas how to get scratches out of watch crystals/glass?

Anyone have any ideas on what's best to get scratches out of watch glass/crystal/perspex's?

I have read somewhere of a paste you can use and rub in that makes the marks 'vanish'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Journeyman

Re: Any ideas how to get scratches out of watch crystals/glass?

If it's an acrylic crystal just a tiny bit of Brasso rubbed over scratches does the trick.

Blog Entries

I have a small tube of 'PolyWatch' for this purpose - do a google search - not expensive. This will work for acrylic - non-sapphire - style watch crystals
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Banned

As above - Polywatch is the stuff. But anything mildly abrasive will do - Auto Glym paint restorer, toothpaste etc (as well as the suggestion above)

PS. If it is glass, then nothing will work AFAIK.

Mask off the bezel with tape and 5mins with some toothpaste should sort you out for small scratches in acrylic.

If it is mineral crystal or sapphire, you can use diamond paste. I have successfully removed scratches in both using a variety of paste grades and a lot of patience and elbow grease. The hardest to get scratches out of that I have experienced is Seiko 'Hardlex'. that one was a complete b****r.

You can find the paste on eBay: try item number 260771856300.

Apprentice

Tape off the bezel, use toothpaste in small circular motions and clean with fresh water.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by europa

PM Dietcokeman.

Master

As above - Polywatch is the stuff. But anything mildly abrasive will do - Auto Glym paint restorer, toothpaste etc (as well as the suggestion above)

You can definitely get scratches out of glass, even sapphire. Mere Brasso can dramatically diminish the appearance of a scratch on mineral or even sapphire glass.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover

You can definitely get scratches out of glass, even sapphire. Mere Brasso can dramatically diminish the appearance of a scratch on mineral or even sapphire glass.
    Really - I didn't know that.

Cirium oxide for mineral glass... :wink:

What they said, plus, if it's sapphire, diamond paste will work - coarsish first, then finer for the finish - depending on depth of scratch.
    Gray

Master

Wow, fantastic!

Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to respond, I'll check these methods out.

Cheers

Tony

Craftsman

Lets know how you get on, I may need to do the same...good luck

Robin

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Antony23
    Wow, fantastic!

Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to respond, I'll check these methods out.

Cheers

Tony
    Don't get to thinking it's easy, young man. This Bulova took about an hour or more.

but it can be worth it . .

I polish by hand. Deep scratches are removed first with a diamond sharpener, without pressure, until the surface is flat.

Then, ever-finer grades of wet'n'dry 240 grit down to 2000 grit.

And finally - as already said - cerium oxide is best for that final polish on mineral glass.

For acrylic, I've recently found this to give a much better finish than Brasso or Chrome polish . . .

Master

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    Wow, fantastic!

Cheers

Tony
    Don't get to thinking it's easy, young man. This Bulova took about an hour or more.

I polish by hand. Deep scratches are removed first with a diamond sharpener, without pressure, until the surface is flat.

And finally - as already said - cerium oxide is best for that final polish on mineral glass.

For acrylic, I've recently found this to give a much better finish than Brasso or Chrome polish . . .

Looks great Ted!

Craftsman

I used dry rag to begin with a dab of shine *those pink stuff that is stronger then Autosol.

Do a first rub through for a good 5 to ten minutes and then use a soft cloth to finish it off.

Rinse and repeat till you get desired results.

Curious - I can see how it might work on mineral but certainly not Sapphire.

Sapphire is rate 9 on mohs scale whereas the Silica in Brasso rates between 6-7 (like quartz and sand).

Maybe I'm missing something...

Craftsman

It also depends how badly scratch is the sapphire glass, first you got to ask yourself is worth scratching it out or just get a new sapphire crystal?

Just my 2 shillings

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    Wow, fantastic!

Cheers

Tony

Thats some seriously good work! :salute: And great tips too.

Brasso or toothpaste has worked for me in the past

Craftsman

Well I used the Brasso on my Oris and it made a real difference after a few minutes. Its still needs some more elbow grease but noiw I know how to do it Ill be on the case again soon. Thanks for the tips. Great job on the Bulova by the way.

Robin

There is a paste i have heard of but can't remember what it was or how good it is.

My suggestion and what i do, is i take my glass / watch to my local Gem / Diamond cutter / Polisher, he has a brilliantly large stone polishing wheel, which with the right polishing compound can remover near enough any scratch from any Mineral or standard Glass, sapphire glass is not always so easy, as its so hard and doesn't polish like mineral glass or diamond? don't ask me why.

So if your based about London then Hatton garden, if your southern maybe Brighton lanes? (my option) or i suppose any jewllery center, birmingham shefield etc.

Regards

Doug

Craftsman

So, is it okay to refine a crystal down with fine grit sandpaper down to 2000 or 3000, and then finish with a polishing paste?

I was always scared to take paper to a crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by tomah
    So, is it okay to refine a crystal down with fine grit sandpaper down to 2000 or 3000, and then finish with a polishing paste?

It's very important otherwise althought the crystal may seem smooth under certain lightening conditions you will see slight ridges.

Grand Master

I wouldn`t try this on glass or sapphire but it's OK on acrylic. I`d use 400grit wet and dry paper to get the rough stuff out then progress to 1200 grit or 1500 if it's available. T-cut or brasso will restore the finish, but a final treatment with polywatch is my choice.

Always wet the abrasive paper with water containing a drop of washing up liquid; be careful not to get water in the watch if there's a doubt about its water resistence.

Paul

nice photo, I never had luck with brasco

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958

I wouldn`t try this on glass or sapphire but it's OK on acrylic. I`d use 400grit wet and dry paper to get the rough stuff out then progress to 1200 grit or 1500 if it's available. T-cut or brasso will restore the finish, but a final treatment with polywatch is my choice.

Always wet the abrasive paper with water containing a drop of washing up liquid; be careful not to get water in the watch if there's a doubt about its water resistence.

Paul
    Is my Omega Flightmaster acrylic?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac
    Curious - I can see how it might work on mineral but certainly not Sapphire.

Sapphire is rate 9 on mohs scale whereas the Silica in Brasso rates between 6-7 (like quartz and sand).

Maybe I'm missing something...
    Sorry to reply to this post so late, only just seen it.

Well, my Rolex Date had a small scratch near the edge of the crystal when I bought it (second hand of course) in the mid '90s. I assaulted it with Brasso and made it much less visible. At its next service, Rolex finished the job and it's now nigh-on invisible - you have to hold it to the light and actively look for it to see it, and even then it's exceptionally faint.

I guess that even though the material in Brasso is less hard than sapphire glass, the abrasive effect must still work both ways.

Any ideas how to get scratches out of watch crystals/glass?

... And as with removing deeper scratches on metal, you need a more abrasive, coarser rub down first, before polishing, to level out the trench - otherwise there's a risk of "trenching" when you polish the scratch and the surrounding area without removing it!

Cheers
    Gray