closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Taipei Airport Duty Free

Apprentice

Taipei Airport Duty Free

Hello all,

This might be a bit of a long shot but does anybody have any experience of shopping at the duty free shops at Taipei Airport? I have a 4 hour stopover there next month and am sure I read somewhere that the prices of watches in Taipei is very good, maybe better than HK. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Re: Taipei Airport Duty Free

I'll be there on Thursday this week, I'll take a look

Cheers

Paul

Master

good to know as i will be going to Taipei for a couple of weeks in June :lol:

What is it with Taipei? Seems very popular.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    What is it with Taipei? Seems very popular.
    If your Chinese it's the Asian equivalent of Las Vegas.

Master

I thought that was Macau.

I visit Taipei couple of times a year on business, and I don't think I'd go there for a holiday. It's nice enough, but nothing special really.

The Airport has a nice watch section, visited the Omega store there last month, but the prices were pretty "standard":

[quote="china"]I thought that was Macau.quote]

I think your right :lol: my bad

Master

Taipei Airport Duty Free

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk
    Quote Originally Posted by esm
    good to know as i will be going to Taipei for a couple of weeks in June :lol:
    I might be around and drop me a PM if you gonna be around Taipei 101 for a bit of watch browsing.
    Cool. That'd be awesome me thinks.

Just to let you know that I will be there for my sis's wedding and the schedules are pretty packed. So will see what I can do

Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. There's a friend of mine that runs a used watch shop in Bangkok and nearly all the used Rolex he has are from Taiwan. He told me that the price of new and second hand Rolex is very low.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei
    I'll be there on Thursday this week, I'll take a look
    I'm typing this in the duty free area now, after a good look around. I've seen a museum, an art gallery, a kids playground, a massage centre, a clinic, a full-sized model railway, a "relaxing area" with a tiki theme, a prayer room with three different units each identical but with it's intended denomination firmly affixed to the outside ( to ensure one's requests for a turbulent-free flight are transmitted to the correct recipient ), a medical clinic and all the usual retail flotsam that washes up in these intra-national areas of involuntary confinement. Does LeSportsac even have any shops outside duty free ?

Amongst all this there are several watch shops. The usual suspects are on sale, from G-Shock and Swatch through Longines, Omega, Cartier, Bulgari, IWC and the rest. There is an Omega boutique too. Just like HKIA, every single airport clock is sponsored by Rolex. This makes looking for an actual Rolex vendor quite exasperating, as every 50m or so there is a promising-looking familiar sign, but it's just another airport clock. The fact is though, I cannot find any Rolex on sale here at all. Like beer to the gatekeeper in Macbeth, desire is promoted but the ability is taken away.

So, for research's sake I picked a reasonably available model, the Omega PO 42mm ( not from the Omega Boutique ) and asked the price. It came to about US$4200. This is the duty ( 12% I was informed ) free price. No further discounts were available. Didn't seem too attractive to me. I moved along and settled for some ebi chahan ( prawn fried rice ) for NT$150, and was fully satisfied.

Paul

Journeyman

I'm there once a month and have never considered the prices attractive for watches... however, their range of whiskies is pretty decent :lol: