closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Servicing front loading watches

Servicing front loading watches

This Mido thing got me to thinking, what is the name of the tool(s) used to take apart such a watch for servicing where the caseback is one molded piece and everything must come out through the front?

Just curious.

Craftsman
    Axe ?

Master

Re: Servicing front loading watches

Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    This Mido thing got me to thinking, what is the name of the tool(s) used to take apart such a watch for servicing where the caseback is one molded piece and everything must come out through the front?
    It's a "chop saw". However, if you want it to continue to work afterwards then you need to protect the caseback with duct tape and use a dead-blow hammer on the back to make the works pop out the front.

:-D

Tra

JasonG

You guys pulling my leg? :shock: :?

Master

Re: Servicing front loading watches

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG
    Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    It's a "chop saw". However, if you want it to continue to work afterwards then you need to protect the caseback with duct tape and use a dead-blow hammer on the back to make the works pop out the front.

:-D

Tra

JasonG
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thewatchguy.com addresses this subject. There's a link on my website (click WWW below). I use a crystal remover to take out the crystal, the kind with claws on it. Beware crystals with tension rings - the claw-type tool can break the crystal. Other forum-ers probably know a better way.

Then you have to discover, by fiddling around, how to disconnect the split stem. This is a really fiddly operation. Benrus for example, has a key in a slot arrangement. You have to turn the crown slowly while pressing up under the dial gently until the movement comes free, then pull the crown & 1/2-stem out and then invert the watch and shake out the movt.

Failing that, not having a chop saw, a cold chisel works just fine

:wink:

Ted

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tom,

You usually remove the crystal and then the chapter ring, you can then access the stem releasing mech.

Hope this helps.

Bry

Tom,

I have seen the type of tool you need listed on Ebay. The ones I saw were from Mido as well and costed around 15 bucks or so. I was thinking about getting one myself until I found out that my local Watchmaker used to sell Midos and still had the tool needed to open the cases.

Regards,

David

Oh, I see. You mean this?

Tom,

Here is a link to an auction for the type of tool that I mean. This is the one that my Watchmaker uses as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mido-Watch-Rep-Tool ... dZViewItem

Cheers

David

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser
    Tom,

Here is a link to an auction for the type of tool that I mean. This is the one that my Watchmaker uses as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mido-Watch-Rep-Tool ... dZViewItem

Cheers

David
    Thanks David!