closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leaving Omega for Rolex ?

Journeyman

Leaving Omega for Rolex ?

Hi guys,

First of all, I would like to apologize if my written english is not perfect...I'm not english (I'm French). :wink: I hope you will still be able to understand me. :wink: :wink:

I just bought 2 weeks ago my new watch: a GMT Master II 16710 Coke. :D
    What a marvel. Love it !

Now I've worn this watch for the past two weeks, I'm facing a real issue. I've found out that my Omega Planet Ocean is way to heavy and thick for my wrist. I have also a Speedmaster Pro which I find perfect. Not too big, not to heavy. But the PO... :?

It's funny how you can change you mind, maybe is good thing too to change your mind.

For your information, I've bought the PO when I've moved to London. That was basically my first REAL watch ever bought. I didn't took really a lot of time to search for the best watch that would suit me. I've found Omega PO to be quite sexy and financially accessible.
    It's not that I don't like the PO anymore, it's just that I think the 40mm of my GMT Master II suits my wrist better.

The 16710 is slimmer, lighter and somewhat more appealing. There is something I cannot explain.

I will probably put my PO for sale in the next few days because Rolex is much more expensive than Omega. I went to a Rolex AD and tried (yes I've tried it many times recently) the Submariner 116610 again and guess what... :blob6:

I'm really thinking of selling my PO to buy the 116610 LN.
    For now, my conclusions are that my small wrist is not suited for chunky watches such as the PO (42mm). The new Submariner would perfectly fit the bill and honestly, I'm in love now with Rolex ( :evil: :evil: because of the damn 16710 !!! :D :D :D )

What are your thoughts ?

Many thanks for your help.

Bruce

Grand Master

Re: Leaving Omega for Rolex ?

The new Sub is nice, but so is the PO, it's a difficult move as the Sub Ceramic is twice the price, and not even close to being twice the watch.

There is one on sales corner just now though, almost new and i think the guy is after a trade of some sort :D

You should have bought the Seamaster rather than the PO in the first place. :D

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    The new Sub is nice, but so is the PO, it's a difficult move as the Sub Ceramic is twice the price, and not even close to being twice the watch.

There is one on sales corner just now though, almost new and i think the guy is after a trade of some sort :D

You are right Argee,

But in terms of size / weight...it's a fact: Rolex suits me better. If only my wrists didn't have such expensives tastes !

Master

Had a PO. Within a week I decided to move it on. Nice looking watch, but for me a Rolex sports wins every time. IMO the right move.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1
    Had a PO. Within a week I decided to move it on. Nice looking watch, but for me a Rolex sports wins every time. IMO the right move.

There's a lot better watches for nearly 5k out there, even at the secondhand rate of around 4.5k you're looking at better watches for the money.

If being sensible was our first priority, would we really ever consider spending thousands on a watch? But we do because we love it and therefore having something you love on your wrist and getting pleasure from that ownership experience is the priority.

So if you've fallen out of love with your PO, move it on. Bank the money and wait until you can afford the model you really want. When you do - however expensive it may be - it will all seem worth it :)

IMO, a watch is only a waste of money or 'too expensive' if you're not getting value (inc. enjoyment and pleasure value) out of it.

That's my twisted logic anyway :lol:

Master

Both the PO and Sub are great watches, but if I had to pick one it would take me less than a second to decide 'sub'.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort
    You should have bought the Seamaster rather than the PO in the first place. :D
    +1 on SMP, if you like the look it is one of the most comfortable watches out there and I dare to say it, it may be a tad more comfortable than Sub :blackeye: :wink:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

salut m.hemdale et bienvenue au tz.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

yes.... YES! come to the dark side. mwhaha

seriously though, i got a GMTIIc recently and it's bloody incredible!

Nick

If you find your PO is too heavy compared to the Sub, beware that a lot of the weight of the Omega is in its bracelet; if you try it on a normal strap it lightens the PO considerably. The bracelet on the Rolex is a lot lighter; much more efficient if you like.

The Ceramic sub is 3 times the price of a used PO - the PO is a new watch - but the Sub would win every time imo.

I'd probably sell the Speedy too unless it is a particularly special model.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

i would also pick a Sub.

i also a 42mm PO owner, and from my experience, it wears almost the same as a 16610 :mrgreen:

Journeyman

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your input !

I'll keep the Speedie because it's a chrono and I like it's (kind of ) vintage look (even if I bought it recently).
    You are right by saying that the PO's bracelet is very heavy.

It's difficult to describe but I just love the clicking sound of the bezel on the Sub...and also the very smooth crown screwn watertight is amazing.
    The quality feeling I have with the Sub is superior to the PO, but maybe it's just me ?

Master
    Blog Entries

The new Sub has the fatter case design which - to my eye - is less elegant than your GMT.

If you want a slimmer dive watch, what about a used Omega 2254? Great style designs - I prefer sword hands to the Rolex ball+stick - and a lot less financial outlay.

I would not rush to a decision, and would get some good wear out of the watches you currently have, before making a decision you may regret in the long term.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Hello Bruce.
    I can understand you: I have the same problem: my wrist is small.... and I prefer small watches...

Master

I tried a PO on when I was looking recently. For me, the PO protruded too much from my wrist. I don't have the specs but it seemed to protrude considerably more than a Sub (or the GMTc which I eventually bought).

FWIW my wrist is 7.5 inches

Good luck and enjoy your shopping...

if you don't wear it, flip it. :shock:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Is the PO a 45mm ?

I've had two of these, both orange and although I liked them very much, and the 45.5pm wears smaller than it sounds I still found them too large.

I love my 16710 and I'd always choose a Rolex over an Omega if it was a direct comparison. But at Rolex AD prices I'm not sure I could.

If I had the option of a new PO or a used sub Nd or maybe an explorer I'd take the Rolex everytime.

5k is not really conpeting with the omegas or Breitling colts anymore for my taste. Like someone said, it's just not twice the watch. However: I would buy a Rolex, just a used one. Everytime.

Journeyman

Well... You're right but my PO is a 42mm. When i look at it, I'm a bit more concerned by the thickness.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hemdale
    Well... You're right but my PO is a 42mm. When i look at it, I'm a bit more concerned by the thickness.
    I think I could live with that. No service for 10 years etc. Still, its not a Rolex is it. ;-)

Rolex sub without a doubt! Modern Omegas dont have the same appeal as their vintage cousins tbh.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    The new Sub has the fatter case design which - to my eye - is less elegant than your GMT.
    Correct but I like the contrast between the shiny classy bezel and the toolwatch (well, maybe not anymore) concept.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    I would not rush to a decision, and would get some good wear out of the watches you currently have, before making a decision you may regret in the long term.
    Wise advice. :) I'll give the PO a few more try... :wink:

Master

I did leave Omega for Rolex, years ago. I had owned 4 Seamasters and 2 Speedies. They were all nice watches, but they weren't Rolex and that was what I really wanted. I then left Rolex for Panerai, for a short time, but found them too limiting and returned to Rolex. If Rolex is what you want, that's where you should be.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Don't become another Rolex sheep.

Journeyman

Hi Bruce,

(it's good to see someone who's name is Bruce :bounce: )

I personally think watches are like everything else: you have to start with something, somewhere, then you find your way up, until you find exactly what you were looking for.

For watches, it is quite funny because in my situation (because also of my wrist size: 16,5cm = 6,496 inches) there are so many brands I will never be able to wear. Panerai, is way to big for example.

The overall watch made by Rolex is very appealing. When I look at the PO (which is very well designed) sometimes I think "hmm, they could have done something bette maybe":
    The bezel thickness has this flat surface under the grips of the bezel. On the SubC, the grips of the bezel are very close to the case of the watch.
    I don't understand the grey (quite large) circle around the crystal on the PO... the font used for the numerals on the bezel doesn't look as great as the font on the SubC...
    I thought Omega clasps were perfect. They were until I saw the SubC clasp.

Ok, you are right. I have maybe to flip this PO :? :?:

I think that overall this a wise decision, even though I do like the looks of the PO and not because of the watches size. I prefer smaller cases and the 42mm case of the PO is fine for my taste and my wrist, but the Rolex is a better (and much more expensive) watch, but also a more conservative choice.

Journeyman

Hi guys,

I've tried it again at Selfridges. What a beauty. :drunken: Everytime I put it on, I have the same feeling. :drunken: :drunken: I think it's time to pull the trigger.

:king:

However, I have a few more questions (some of them might sound silly/irrelevant, all my apologies):

- Is there any particular place better than others to buy the watch from ? (ok, they are not making their watches in the basement - they are just selling them).

- Is there a specific Series number to look for ?

- I assume the watch I've be handed has been tried by a large number of people before me. Should I look for any scratches or possible dinks ? I may sound crazy but one can think that you never know what can have happened to the watch, even in a Rolex store... :roll:

- Are there any specific things I should look for: bracelet faults, bezel misaligned ?

Thanks for your input !

Grand Master

I wouldnt leave the PO for a Sub I would add a Sub, for what the PO is worth I would hang onto it and enhance your collect with a Ceramic Sub. They are superb as are most of the steel sports range.

Be aware that as a few have said spending twice as much does not give you twice the watch but Rolex will scratch the itch, satisfy your curiosity, and over the long term 3-5 years, cost you nothing less inflation.

Good luck which ever way you go, Ive owned 7 Planet Oceans and I loved them all, I love the Rolex line up slightly more though!
    RIAC

Master

Live with all of them for now. You may change yoru mind back to the PO and end up goign to buy another one :D

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    I wouldnt leave the PO for a Sub I would add a Sub, for what the PO is worth I would hang onto it and enhance your collect with a Ceramic Sub. They are superb as are most of the steel sports range.

Very good point. :wink: At the moment, it is likely that I'm adding the Sub. I was thinking of selling the PO but I don't really need to in order to buy the Sub. I can definitely keep the PO as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Good luck which ever way you go, Ive owned 7 Planet Oceans and I loved them all, I love the Rolex line up slightly more though!
    Yes, thank you ! Wish me luck ! :bounce: :bounce:

Hemdale, there is not a lot wrong with your written English!, and I imagine your spoken English is excellent also.
    Certainly put me to shame.
    Welcome to our wonderful forum by the way.

Journeyman

Thank you guys for your nice welcoming messages. Today could be the great day ! :wink:

Master

Welcome to the forum from another Rolex fan :roll:

Look forward to the pics......

The PO is still a great watch by the way!