closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Aerospace - what tool to use to open case?

Breitling Aerospace - what tool to use to open case?

Breitling Aerospace - anybody that changes their battery etc. by themselves? What tool do you use to open the watch? Is the watch difficult to close when it's opened? The watch has the usual slot, though hidden behind the lugs, the case back is firmly fixed.

My battery isn't low but I'll like to get access to the watch speed calibration.

Master

Re: Breitling Aerospace - what tool to use to open case?

I don't know about the new models, but assuming yours is an older one, It's a snap on case back.

I used a very good quality pen knife blade to lever it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks
    I don't know about the new models, but assuming yours is an older one, It's a snap on case back.

I've got the 40 mm Chronometre Aerospace, italic arabic numerals. It's a snap on case back but it's really planted.

The slot is so positioned that it's difficult to get anything in there, because of the lug. I tried with my watch makers blade knife but I can hardly get it in. I can get a screwdriver in to the slot, but the only move I can make with that will probably make big dents.

Perhaps I need something like this
    http://www.watch-tool.de/html/case_open ... ?id=7010kh
    or even more fork like to be able to sneek in behind the lug.

Master

Yeah, mine was stuck on tight too, the case back sure came off with a ping when it let go!

I just kept up the pressure and twisted, my sharp blade seemed to go in plenty far enough and didn't slip or dent anything.

Master

What batteries do they take? Might change my own next time.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks

The later ones have six screws in dont they..?

Master
    Blog Entries

If it's the snap back type make sure when refitting that the caseback is fitted perfectly flat if not the case will appear closed but will have poor water resistance and will leak.

Hope this helps.

Bry

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    What batteries do they take? Might change my own next time.
    Well, if it only was for the battery change I would hand it over to my A Breitling D. They charge a reasonable 30 EUR including new seals and waterproof testing.

If you've got a stubborn a case like me you're looking into buying an expensive tool to get it open. I'll only do this because I want to calibrate it myself.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by youveboughtwhat
    Well, if it only was for the battery change I would hand it over to my A Breitling D. They charge a reasonable 30 EUR including new seals and waterproof testing.
    My local AD made a complete mess of a battery change last time. It ended up taking months due to the watchmaker on site apparently taking it to bits and then going on a three-week holiday. Unfortunately that overlapped with me going out of the UK for a few months and when I finally got the watch back they had cracked the lower digital display (and tried to say that it must have been like that when I gave it to them).

I pointed out that if it was the case I would have asked for it to be fixed at the same time and that it would have been noted on the paperwork when I handed the watch over. They finally relented after I started to complain quite noisily and was putting the other customers off so they then fixed the breakage they had caused (which took another month). I think I'll do it myself next time or possibly send it to BUK.

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    My local AD made a complete mess of a battery change last time. It ended up taking months due to the watchmaker on site apparently taking it to bits and then going on a three-week holiday. Unfortunately that overlapped with me going out of the UK for a few months and when I finally got the watch back they had cracked the lower digital display (and tried to say that it must have been like that when I gave it to them).

I pointed out that if it was the case I would have asked for it to be fixed at the same time and that it would have been noted on the paperwork when I handed the watch over. They finally relented after I started to complain quite noisily and was putting the other customers off so they then fixed the breakage they had caused (which took another month). I think I'll do it myself next time or possibly send it to BUK.
    Sorry to hear that! What's up with watchmakers not being able to do what you ask them to? Instead they seem to try to make every watch that leaves them look like it's new. Great, but at what cost and time?

Banned

Just use a flat blade screwdriver and brute force! :D :twisted:

My battery isn't low but I'll like to get access to the watch speed calibration.

I've just made a mental note never to buy a Breitling off youveboughtwhat!

Watch this video...I suspect the calibration is offset by changing parameters using that thing with the needles.

http://www.breitling.com/service/index2.php

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh

Watch this video...I suspect the calibration is offset by changing parameters using that thing with the needles.

Yeah, for sure, buy your watch from
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    Just use a flat blade screwdriver and brute force! :D :twisted:
    instead!

Oh, one could change language of the movie to the right. (Though I know some french...)

That movie showed a complete service. From what I read a calibration isn't that hard.

The needles (probes) was to make sure all components of the watch was ok, buy measuring the currents drawn when using the motors etc..

According to this post
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/breitli ... post930268

- read the calibration procedure of the E20.341
    - take off the back of your Aerospace and take a high-resolution picture of the movement (and share it with us )
    - on the picture look for the markings of the calibration terminals (should be some markings like: 1 imp = 0.33 sec/month or similar)
    - attempt the calibration or let us help you (we can help you by studying the photo of the movement)

I'm 100% certain that the calibration can be carried out by the user.

Good luck and let us know!

With my 60 fps camera and a radio controlled watch I think I can calibrate it with precision.

We'll see, I'll report back!

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh

Another document here, I think the calibration of the Aerospace is done in the same manner:

go here
    https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopDefaul ... 2&tabid=28

search for
    E20.341

see page 8 and 9

It seems easy, just take a cable, push it against the + on the battery and tap a connector with the other end of the cable. :bounce:

Yes, you're correct....and a good link that :)