closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: On-line second hand watch dealers -advice please

On-line second hand watch dealers -advice please

I will be in the market soon for a high-ish end second hand watch. The last similar value watch I bought I got via a wanted ad on here and it wasn't the smoothest or best transaction I've ever had, so I am considering paying a premium to buy from a dealer this time around.

My questions are:

1. many such dealers offer a 12 months guarantee, has anybody had good or bad experiences claiming on such a guarantee? Is it the benefit one would expect it to be?

2. Who are the good on-line dealers and who are the ones to avoid (let me know by PM if its likely to be defamatory!)?

Many thanks

Re: On-line second hand watch dealers -advice please

I've dealt with Blowers (http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk) in the past, and found them very helpful.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Blog Entries

The obvious, Blowers, SWC and Watchfinder are all respected and bricks & mortar dealers, which you can visit if you choose. I think you'll have praise for all but some negatives for them all too.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by eelblady
    I will be in the market soon for a high-ish end second hand watch. The last similar value watch I bought I got via a wanted ad on here and it wasn't the smoothest or best transaction I've ever had, so I am considering paying a premium to buy from a dealer this time around.

My questions are:

1. many such dealers offer a 12 months guarantee, has anybody had good or bad experiences claiming on such a guarantee? Is it the benefit one would expect it to be?

2. Who are the good on-line dealers and who are the ones to avoid (let me know by PM if its likely to be defamatory!)?
    Try Mark Worthington in Wilmslow.

Grand Master

Blowers, Darren Reay, Iconic Watches, Watchfinder, Watches of Distinction, Chronomaster, etc are all good, dealt with each one of these, except Darren Reay, but heard positive things from buyers. Watches.co.uk are also quite good, but personally not bought from them due to pricing.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by eelblady

My questions are:

Many thanks
    I'd give it another go here and save yourself probably at least 20% ...... not too many people seem to have problems and I think you must have been unlucky. Most of us here who would be selling an expensive watch will have history ,, as most probably will the watch for that matter .. :) ....... but I respect the fact it's your choice and money and I hope you find what you want.

Cheers
    Brian

Do not forget our very own Mike Woods http://www.theoldwatchshop.com

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I have bought from Blowers, watches.co.uk, Watchfinder and Chrono 24 all positive but some a bit more expensive than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg
    Do not forget our very own Mike Woods http://www.theoldwatchshop.com

Andy
    I'll second that recommendation.

Both Lynn and I have had several watches from Mike and have been delighted with both his service and the quality of his watches. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master

Don`t give up on SC or buying from this forum. The vast majority of deals are fine.

Paul

Master

Just to add to the list of vouched-for dealers, Heuerboy is a good guy.

With regard to your experience on here, it's unfortunate that your experience wasn't great, but a quick look at H&V should be enough to make it clear that a bad or even mediocre deal is very much an exception.

Master

I agree...hang around SC for a deal. I have been impatient in the past and bought from Watches.co.uk, Watchfinder and Blowers. All are great but are bricks and mortar pricing which means if you are keeping then fine but if you flip regularily you'll lose....trust me I know..... :D (Im)Patience is a virtue :evil:

Craftsman

Just hang around until you can get a good deal. If you're impacient then is more likely to loose money and be dissapointed. I did spot a good price at Blowers but when I rang them the watch was already sold. Anyway, I've been told that if they're getting a similar watch then the price will be much higher due to the price of gold going up. What's this has to do with the watches unless is a gold watch ?!

Austin Kaye http://www.austinkaye.co.uk/Home/Default.aspx ... two year guarantee on their used watches.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

On-line second hand watch dealers -advice please

I would vouch for Chronomaster. Nice range; fair prices; fuss-free service.

Top advice all round, will have a look at those dealers named above. Don't have the money yet so will prowl SC to start off with, at least!

Journeyman

I have also bought from Chronomaster, excellent service and the watch (Heuer Carrera) was very well described. helpful on the phone too.

Chris

Master

Hi,

FYI - i just saved £900 by using a "WTB". I'd bought from an online dealer then cancelled as they couldn't really answer any of my subsequent questions.

Got a response to my WTB and now have desired watch bought at SC price rather than dealer price.

Worth the wait.....

WM

Austin Kaye on the Strand are very good and sell online. I've bought from the store but not online from them, the service I got was excellent.