closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A fathomable Seiko 5 - SNZH53K1 incoming

A fathomable Seiko 5 - SNZH53K1 incoming

I had seen a few of these on the Friday thread and decided to track one down. The easiest way to find the model reference was to google Seiko 5 and fifty fathoms as there is a similarity of the bezel to the current Blancpain and the domed crystal is not unattractive. Creationwatches appears to be yer only man and I was pleased that this arrived from Singapore in 3 days; no sign of a customs bill yet but I am aware that these can follow the shipment.

I was slightly surprised by the size of the watch as it's advertised at 41mm but the thickness makes it wear a little bigger (it seems larger than my 42mm Archimede) and only time will tell how I get on with this as my sweet spot is probably 38-41mm

On the plus side I really like the bezel and domed plastic crystal. One of the things I don't like about Seiko divers is the appearance of looking into a tunnel because of the depth of the watch and the latter counter-acts this. It's also probably not worth kidding yourself too much about the diver aspect though given the 100m rating.

On the negative side the bracelet is rather squeaky and, having read somewhere that the lug width is 20mm, I have yet to get it on a NATO the right size as it's actually 22mm; an order to Eddie is imminent and will iclude a bond NATO and probably also a sand canvas strap.

The other down side is the Seiko 5 stuff on the dial together with the metal indices; I'm not keen on either and I am pondering two options. The first is a Yobokies dial similar to the one below.

The second, more attractive and no doubt more expensive, option is to have a dial made to resemble the proper BP 50 below though obviously without any fraudulent markings. (Picture shamelessly stolen from t'internet).

If anybody has any ideas on other dial options I'm all ears; the movement is a 7S36B.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Re: A fathomable Seiko 5 - SNZH53K1

congrats. i think theyre a very nice watch. i managed to fondle one of these on one of my last trips out east - i loved the acrylic bezel and the domed crystal, for me the faceted batons are a plus , and add to the retro feel. i normally dont go for alot of dial font but this i think is fine and also in keeping with the watch. the version i really liked was the blue one. the only thing i didnt really like was the cheap and flimsy feel of the bracelet and to a certain extent the quality of the case, although its unfair to really expect much more at this price point - the bracelets in particular i find are a let down on alot of the cheaper seikos. regarding a replacement dial the first thing id do is shoot noah and harold a quick mail and see if they have anything else that would fit... one thing you have to look out for is whether any font on the dial is going to go with the font on the bezel - tricky to tell sometimes until you have them both in your hand. let us know how you get on.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman

Re: A fathomable Seiko 5 - SNZH53K1 incoming

Just got mine today and share the same thoughts on the bracelet, in fact changed it immediately. For the rest, enjoying it a lot and for the price could not expect much more. A quick shot of mine:

it is a very handsome watch

At last, a good looking Sekio, well done on that one.

Nice Seiko. Not a massive fan of the dial but it's definitely a beater possibility.

Master

Great choice Sir! I think I commented on it in the "Friday" thread?
    I doubt you'll get a Customs bill either.

I went for the "59", the graphite one.
    Agree on the bracelet and I threw mine in the bin the minute the watch was unpacked, utter junk! :lol:

I first wore it on this green zulu with PVD hardware:

But changed it to the PVD bracelet off my Mini Monster yesterday:

Great watch! Enjoy it! 8)

Craftsman

Some lovely pics in this thread!

I may have to add (yet) another Seiko to the stable...

:)

Congrats! I really like this one in this and its other colors. I only wish this was a 200m WR watch.

I really like that, good choice. :)

I agree that the dial is a little busy though. I'd like to see it without the '5 sports', just a date function (no day) and with smaller less obtrusive minute markers.

Really nice Seiko though and I like the applied hour batons.

(let us know how you get on customs wise)

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Great choice Sir! I think I commented on it in the "Friday" thread?
    I doubt you'll get a Customs bill either.

I went for the "59", the graphite one.
    Agree on the bracelet and I threw mine in the bin the minute the watch was unpacked, utter junk! :lol:

I first wore it on this green zulu with PVD hardware:

But changed it to the PVD bracelet off my Mini Monster yesterday:

Great watch! Enjoy it! 8)
    Is the bracelet really that bad, I know that's the weak point on all Sekio's but did you really chuck it in the bin?. The reason I ask, is that I've found a UK seller and want to place an order, but I would only want it on the steel bracelet.

Master

@ Paul: Yep, honestly went straight into the bin. Think 20yo Rolex jubilee bracelet then treble the "crapness".

A rattly, plasticky feeling piece of yuk. But the watch is only Ģ100ish, you can't really expect much more.
    Who is the UK seller please?

Master

I don't think it's that bad - it's just a bit too shiny and looks cheap :D ; preferred mine on a strap:

@ Paul: Yep, honestly went straight into the bin. Think 20yo Rolex jubilee bracelet then treble the "crapness".

A rattly, plasticky feeling piece of yuk. But the watch is only Ģ100ish, you can't really expect much more.
    Who is the UK seller please?

Pixmania would you believe :shock:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/7752281 ... r-aut.html

Master

Ģ98 at Creationwatches.com

Be quick! :wink:

Ģ98 plus charges, so will be round about the same costs, but the bracelet side of it has let this down badly :cry:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy

Ģ98 plus charges
    Ģ98 includes free shipping and there won't be any charges. It's still worth it for the head only and slap a NATO under it. Job's a good 'un! 8)
    HTH

I find the annoying detail about the bracelet is the squeakiness; I can cope with rattles and really like the folded link bracelet on my Snowflake. Having said this I've been happy to wear it on this the few days that I've had it. I suppose the acid test will be when I put it on one of Eddies.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

i think it would look good on the right mesh

Myself I just wish it didn't have the five on the dial as I like the metal indices. I also wish they wouldn't have the display back.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by davek
    I don't think it's that bad - it's just a bit too shiny and looks cheap :D ; preferred mine on a strap:

I really like that one, what model is that?

Journeyman

After seeing a black and gold one on a Dutch forum (wich i liked a lot) i went looking for the watch. After finding the watch and seeing that it's only about 130 Euro's i liked it even more. Searching a bit more and there it was, the blue version. I realy like that one, it remindes me of the Omega Big Blue (wich is to expensive for me at this moment). I hope to get it this year.

After reading about the bad bracelet i am definitly going to order a 22mm mesh for it. I do have a watchadoo chunck bracelet coming in though, gonna try that too.

Journeyman

I have received my blue diver and it looks good, the bracelet is not so bad either! Maybe they have improved it.

I did noticed you have black day/date and i have white. I think about switching it to black though. I also think the 5 and sports are to big and would like to remove them. Anyone have an idea how? Or should i look for another dial?

I got mine, black and gold one, with vintage style WUS dial installed recently. Fitted with a Brady sailcloth strap and butterfly deployant off eBay, cracking setup.

I've also got a modern style WUS dial (with date window) and am on the waiting list for the custom FFF case back too.

Just needed another watch head now?!

Miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving mine with the redial, never cared for the original.

I had the silver and gold mods, but the hands seemed to long for the dial markers on the edge....

In the end I went for the standard blue, in which everything just looks perfect :)

I paid a bit more for the J1 version, because the K1 wasn't on stock at creationwatches and it took over 6 weeks to be freed out of the claws of customs :evil: but it was well worth the wait :D

Journeyman

I have ordered a SOXA- CARIBBEAN BLUE dial to mod my blue diver.

http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/ ... show/50670

I also ordered a Fifty Fathoms style black dial for the black version i'm going to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by jantje.vlaam
    I have ordered a SOXA- CARIBBEAN BLUE dial to mod my blue diver.

http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/ ... show/50670
    I'm intriged by this combo, hope you will show some pics when it's complete :)

Journeyman

[quote=Marco-T]
    Quote Originally Posted by jantje.vlaam":97n8d7av]I have ordered a SOXA- CARIBBEAN BLUE dial to mod my blue diver.

[url="http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/products/show/50670
    http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/ ... show/50670[/url]
    I'm intriged by this combo, hope you will show some pics when it's complete :)[/quote:97n8d7av]

Ofcourse, here and on horlogeforum.

Blog Entries

Got one of theese and in all honesty its IMO a very honest watch and i fail to understand the bracelet "issue" as mine seems all OK :roll:

Just what do people want for Ģ130.00?

Intresting to see quotes from Howdy and Vicky Ah what memories :evil:

I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I used to have snzh051 (white) and 057 (golden), both were great but in the end I am sticking to the blue one. I canīt wait to try it on mesh and nato strep. Check out the pictures.

Craftsman

I have a blue version since before Christmas and a mesh on the way. Hope it turns out as good as that photo looks great.

Blog Entries

The 55 fathoms numeral dial is amazing, but very hard to come by. I've got the same model, in the original outfit. Like it a lot, but don't wear it for some reason :?

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson
    The 55 fathoms numeral dial is amazing, but very hard to come by. I've got the same model, in the original outfit. Like it a lot, but don't wear it for some reason :?
    No, it is still for sale, i bought one yesterday for 34 dollars. I also bought a Blue Soxa Carebian dial for my blue Seiko.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson
    The 55 Fathoms mod dial has recently appeared on the 10watches website - it says that they are over runs from the WUS list and that stock is limited. I've ordered one - I'd been looking for one since August.