closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths W10 Lug Spacing

Master

Smiths W10 Lug Spacing

The lug spacing on my Smiths W10 is 17mm, so passing the standard 18mm NATO strap makes it a bit 'crumpled' between the lugs and it doesn't look quite right. Does anyone else have this problem, or does a NATO strap of lesser width exist? Thanks.

I have exactly this problem so wait to hear answers with interest.

Any sources of 17mm straps?

Here's mine on an 18mm TimeFactors strap - you can see it is a bit too large for the lugs -

Re: Smiths W10 Lug Spacing

Quote Originally Posted by Galea
    The lug spacing on my Smiths W10 is 17mm, so passing the standard 18mm NATO strap makes it a bit 'crumpled' between the lugs and it doesn't look quite right. Does anyone else have this problem, or does a NATO strap of lesser width exist? Thanks.
    An 18mm braided nylon would fit (if you can find one). I know because I used to use the 20mm ones on 19mm lugs. The braids compress nicely. If you want take it further, PM me.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master
    I do have an 18mm braided nylon strap, but somehow I think the Smiths would look better on a NATO strap. I wonder what straps the Smiths W10 were originally issued with, maybe someone can shed some light on this?

Master
    A search on Google yielded this:

http://www.rltwatches.com/acatalog/Military1.html

The 16mm olive NATO strap should fit the Smiths nicely, and its very well-priced as well 8)

Jurgens straps come in 17mm. Another option is to find an 18mm NATO that is a bit narrower (17.5mm for example) or a 16mm that is closer to 17mm. I have seen many tolerance variations on NATOs.

I have had mine on a 16mm NATOs, but I am getting a special order 17mm open ended that is made from the leather of a US goatskin flight jacket. I 'll post some pics when I get it. I also have used a variety of vintage open ended leather straps on my Smiths.

Braided straps also work well, as mentioned.

Jurgens

Goatskin open ended

Here is the Smiths on a 17mm Jurgens/Elias goat skin leather strap

I also have one in 18mm for the Eterna WWW

Master
    Coming home from a one-week long stint with the armed forces after beefing up security at the airport for the CHOGM in Malta, I found the 16mm straps waiting. The Smiths looks good on a NATO strap once again even though there is a 1mm gap. I might be tempted to use the Smiths on duty sometime, but then again the CWC diver might take more kindly to knocks and scratches! :wink: