closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacement Rolex box and papers.

Master

Replacement Rolex box and papers.

Hi all

It's my first post, so be gentle ! :)

Anyway, I bought my Rolex from Watches of Switzerland in Manchester about 20 years ago and hardly wear it, so thought I should try to sell it and let someone else get some enjoyment out of it.

........but can I find my original papers and box that came with it now that I need them, can I hell ! :x

I've no idea where they have gone to, so thought I should try a few Rolex dealers in town to get some replacements. But in explaining my tale and without ownership papers, they look at you as if you have just come out of prison trying to flog the family silver ! OK, they are happier after examining my watch and see it is completely genuine, so is getting a replacement set of papers so difficult, or just not possible, as the value of the watch does seem to be much less without them ?

Grateful for all or any help or advice with this.

Many thanks

Re: Replacement Rolex box and papers.

Hi,

You cannot get replacement papers, you could buy secondhand booklets that came with the watch but the papers will not be replaced by Rolex.

Afraid you will take the hit on your sale for not having the papers.

Edited to add, best bet is to get Rolex to service your watch and they will supply service guarantee documentation. Not the same thing as you are hoping for, but good paperwork none the less.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Glitterati
    Hi all

It's my first post, so be gentle ! :)

Anyway, I bought my Rolex from Watches of Switzerland in Manchester about 20 years ago and hardly wear it, so thought I should try to sell it and let someone else get some enjoyment out of it.

........but can I find my original papers and box that came with it now that I need them, can I hell ! :x

I've no idea where they have gone to, so thought I should try a few Rolex dealers in town to get some replacements. But in explaining my tale and without ownership papers, they look at you as if you have just come out of prison trying to flog the family silver ! OK, they are happier after examining my watch and see it is completely genuine, so is getting a replacement set of papers so difficult, or just not possible, as the value of the watch does seem to be much less without them ?

Grateful for all or any help or advice with this.

Many thanks

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms
    Hi,

You cannot get replacement papers, you could buy secondhand booklets that came with the watch but the papers will not be replaced by Rolex.

Afraid you will take the hit on your sale for not having the papers.

Edited to add, best bet is to get Rolex to service your watch and they will supply service guarantee documentation. Not the same thing as you are hoping for, but good paperwork none the less.
    ...box and booklets can be replaced by third party products.
    It is a difficult argumentation as to wether that is ´fake´ when not bought/sold as the original which came over the counter with thát watch.
    That does not limit itself to Rolex.

For one the original box and manual come from a third party printer too.
    For some brands it is even possible to obtain the OEM stuff new as the distribution very often does not even go through the factory doors but to the importers/distribiters/reatilers directly to be joined with the watches that were shiped by the dozen of half dozen in styro boxes.
    Not seldom one can obtain box and manual from an AD as not all customer want it. It makes no difference wether it is branded Swatch, Casio, Omega or Rolex.

Would it mean that ´original brand x box and manual´ is only such if it comes from one of the OEM printers? or is any such made to the specs. ´original´? or is the only ´original´ the stuff that came over the AD counter? or is it only original if thát watch came with it?
    I honestly have no answer.

Good advice above to get it serviced by Rolex to generate some paperwork confirming authenticity.

First off, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, as mentioned duplicate papers cannot be gotten from Rolex. Decent vintage boxes can be sourced on the markets but they won't add any more to the package value than what they cost (papers of course, would).

Suggest either selling as it is, or worst case get a confirmation of its authenticity from an AD or Rolex London (costs about £30) :)

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, as mentioned duplicate papers cannot be gotten from Rolex. Decent vintage boxes can be sourced on the markets but they won't add any more to the package value than what they cost (papers of course, would).

Suggest either selling as it is, or worst case get a confirmation of its authenticity from an AD or Rolex London (costs about £30) :)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1

Grand Master

I wouldn`t worry too much about the box & papers. The older the watch the less significant the effect on value (unless it's a really collectible model). There seems to be a strong bias of opinion on this forum regarding the value of B & P with Rolexes; in my experience the 'outside world' places less of a premium to the 'full set' thing. The key issues on a 20yr old model are the authenticity and the condition; I`d rather have an immaculate watch with no B & P than a scruffy one with its original documentation. Spending money on a replacement box seems pointless to me; it's the absence of the original paperwork that has most effect on the value and providing a replacement box doesn`t add anything IMO.

It's worth getting it serviced by an accredited Rolex repairer, who will provide a proper bill and confirm the authenticity of the watch. This should be cheaper than sending it to Rolex, although the Rolex guarantee certificate does enhance the watch somewhat in a buyers eyes and goes some way towards compensating for the absence of original papers.

Are all the bracelet links present? This can be a problem when B & P are lost because the extra links are usually lost too. A shortened bracelet will affect the value and could put buyers off if the watch won`t fit them. Replacement links are available but not cheap.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Paul

im in the same situation with my 2008 sd, the owner of the watch bought it new then got divorced(a bit messy )she wont give him the card or let him near the house,so my only option is to send it to rolex for full service and get the service card.I rang rolex and they confirmed the watch and owner form the serial number,and my local AD(where he actually got the watch from new) did me a letter stating the same so this helps a bit,i think like a few others have said,the main thing is the watch is the real thing,at the end of the day you wear the watch not the papers.

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    so my only option is to send it to rolex for full service and get the service card.
    Mentioned it above, you don't need to get a full £300 service to get some paperwork - Rolex London also confirm authenticity on pieces upon seeing them, for a relatively small fee of around £30.

Master

When Rolex authenticate your watch, do they provide something in writing ? Also, can you just 'walk in' or do you need an appointment. Cheers for the info as I am in a similar position with a watch and have literally taken it today to the AD to send for a service, really just to get the paperwork from Rolex .

Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10
    When Rolex authenticate your watch, do they provide something in writing ? Also, can you just 'walk in' or do you need an appointment. Cheers for the info as I am in a similar position with a watch and have literally taken it today to the AD to send for a service, really just to get the paperwork from Rolex .
    I've not done it myself so best give them a shout and find out the details :)

Rolex UK
    19 St James's Square
    London
    SW1Y 4JE
    United Kingdom

Tel: +44 20 7024 7300
    Fax: +44 20 7024 7317

Mon-Fri: 9:00am - 5:00pm

sh-vintage-watches on German eBay sell lots of Rolex boxes. Don't know about booklets or papers.

Master

Many, many thanks to everyone who has replied.

What a decent forum this is and grateful indeed for the very helpful advice offered.

Regards

if you do send/take it in for ad/rolex to check and write some form of proof ,keep us posted as i would be interested in this route.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    if you do send/take it in for ad/rolex to check and write some form of proof ,keep us posted as i would be interested in this route.
    Certainly will do.