closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best GMT Watch?

Best GMT Watch?

Firstly I would like to introduce myself as a newbie and say that I think this is an excellent site - I have been silently viewing for a while and think SC is awesome, though a potential future threat to my marriage!

My first question is can your collective wisdom enlighten me as to the "best" (very open ended question, I know) GMT watch out there? In terms of VFM, quality etc. I own a Seamaster 300m chronometer in black, but am not anti any brands or styles, though I do prefer sportier pieces. In terms of cost though, I would probably draw the line at 2.5k, so Rolex GMT is off the cards!

Thanks in advance.

Craftsman

Re: Best GMT Watch?

Welcome to the forum! Let me start by saying that marriages are overrated. :wink:

You probably know that there is a difference between "true" GMT (12 hour hand to be set independently) and "stay at home" GMT (24 hour hand to be set, usually also involving the hacking second).

If you want to use the watch as a frequent traveller, the "stay at home" kind is a real pain to set. As far as I know, Omega's SMP is the least expensive version of a "true" GMT watch, with Rolex coming in second. All other "true" GMT models exceed Rolex prices. Your post isn't quite clear on whether or not the watch you have is a GMT. If it is, stick with what you got - if not, swap it for a GMT version. Either way, I think of Omega's SMP GMT as a great watch and a bargain for what it offers!

Welcome to the forum!

How a about a bit of vintage? An auto Heuer Autavia GMT is a hell of a watch.

I've got one as pictured below (although this ones not mine)

Plenty of change from your budget if you source well.

Thomas......Grrrrrrr :evil:

Journeyman

i know you said no rolex, but this is the best looking rolex i've ever seen. also vintage, don't know pricewise how it fits in your budget (far away for me still :)

Without your mention of Value For Money I would have not posted it but here it is - a titanium model with diashield coating plus sapphire and true-GMT which I have set 20 months ago and has less than 4 seconds error - SBQJ015 - see review at http://caranfil.org/harrison/harrison_legacy.html !

Master

Ive only ever had one GMT watch and it was a Breitling Colt 2 GMT, great watch and to be had for a tad over a grand second hand. :)

Thanks for the replies.

I am talking about a second hour hand as a quick reference GMT marker - such as the Colt GMT. I also know there are some more gimmicky world time models (Ball, Tag) with rotating discs. Just really trying to get the lie of the land/ unearth some hidden treasure that I haven't discovered.

Also interested in opinions on less well known (to Joe Public, not seasoned TZers!) Dive watches - Doxa etc as this place is a mine of information - if you have a post that covers this please link and I will step aside!

Are the Zinexs true or stay at home GMTs?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGunner
    Thanks for the replies.

I am talking about a second hour hand as a quick reference GMT marker - such as the Colt GMT. I also know there are some more gimmicky world time models (Ball, Tag) with rotating discs. Just really trying to get the lie of the land/ unearth some hidden treasure that I haven't discovered.

Also interested in opinions on less well known (to Joe Public, not seasoned TZers!) Dive watches - Doxa etc as this place is a mine of information - if you have a post that covers this please link and I will step aside!
    The Brietling GMT might not be classed as a 'true' GMT watch - the GMT hand can be moved independently - whereas a 'true' GMT the 'local' hour hand is moved independently - the GMT hand the revolves once every 24hrs - does not move.

The Brietling GMT is an example of a 'stay-at-home' GMT - useful if you want to reference the time in another TZ with the GMT (24hr) hand.
    The Omega GMT / Rolex GMT are examples of 'on-the-move' GMT - useful if you are a traveller - as the GMT shows the GMT time and the local 12hr hand shows your local time. With a rotating bezel you can quickly reference a 3rd TZ

To the OP - you don't mention if you are restricting your search to just autos - as there are many quartz powered GMT's in your price bracket??
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK)
    Thanks for the replies.

To the OP - you don't mention if you are restricting your search to just autos - as there are many quartz powered GMT's in your price bracket??
    Stay at home GMT for around €130 :mrgreen:

Banned

A true GMT which is also a stunning looker and you would be unlikely to bump into someone else wearing one.

Great water resistance, tough as old boots and as accurate as the Atomic Clock!

The Seiko SBDB001, or MM600 8)

I have now realised:
    I am the "OP".
    There are three types of GMT watch. :roll:

I am after an automatic rather than quartz and do not feel tied by a true GMT- the Junkers was a nice touch and serves the newbie right!

Craftsman

A nice Rolex Explorer II (which is a "true" GMT) recently sold on RLT for 2.2k - might be worth considering

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.ph ... opic=61237

the Junkers was a nice touch and serves the newbie right!
    Didn't meant it like that! That Junkers in mine and I love it (I'm wearing it right now). And I even owned an Alpha GMT which is great: :mrgreen:

I'm a cheapo enthusiast (well, I have to be, not much choice there...) so you see that in no way was I putting you off! :occasion5:

rolex explorer II would get my vote, you should be able to get one in you budget

Blog Entries

best value for money Gmt I have ever had, 100 hour Blancpain

Craftsman

I'd save up for the rolex for a gmt

I like this one

I love this one

but this would is my 'best' (albeit ignoring one of your criteria )

Doxa, Zixen (ZINEX), Rolex, Benarus....just depends what you like.

Lots within your budget :) Even a Rolex GMT if you look around (previous model).

Grand Master

I have now realised:
    I am the "OP".
    There are three types of GMT watch. :roll:
    Actually there are several different types of going about it, but they're all "GMT" watches to the extent that they're all capable of showing independently-adjustable time zones. There is no standard definition of what constitutes a "true" GMT (are all the others somehow "false"?).

If semantics are that important, calling them "GMT" watches is wrong regardless of movement type. Firstly, it's no longer GMT, but UTC, or Zulu, and secondly, mechanical watches aren't sentient and don't know what GMT is (you could set them to timezones neither of which are GMT). The only "true" GMT is one capable of displaying (and understanding the concept of) actual GMT and any timezone related to that - inluding those with part-hour offsets such as Nepal, India or Australia. So, probably something from Casio, then.

No-one said it was easy ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I would probably draw the line at 2.5k, so Rolex GMT is off the cards!
    £2.5k gets you a pre-owned Explorer II

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Catalin
    Without your mention of Value For Money I would have not posted it but here it is - a titanium model with diashield coating plus sapphire and true-GMT which I have set 20 months ago and has less than 4 seconds error - SBQJ015 - see review at http://caranfil.org/harrison/harrison_legacy.html !
    And, sadly, all but unobtainable. :-(

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack
    best value for money Gmt I have ever had, 100 hour Blancpain

Stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    I would probably draw the line at 2.5k, so Rolex GMT is off the cards!
    £2.5k gets you a pre-owned Explorer II

I was just about to suggest the same thing :) I am bias though as I well, sort of, I think want it myself :wink:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Have a look at the new Steinhart GMTs thry will definitely be the value for money choice, for the money the quality of a Steinhart is amazing.
    Approximately £350.

Thanks for the info.

I have to say that I am more interested in buying new as I am abroad with the forces with tax free privileges so I can make my money stretch a bit further :wink:

I have to say, without opening up another can of worms, that Rolex doesn't do that much for me - just a bit too "in your face". The Blancpain is stunning though and I was interested to discover that the Fifty Fathoms (albeit not GMT but probably THE dive watch) is made by a single watchmaker. Classy (but expensive) stuff.

The Steinhart tip is an excellent one and exactly the sort of lead I was after - Thanks!

Master

Well for pure functionality I don't think anything beats the Breilting B-1, UTC + 2nd time zone and alarms in both current time and 2nd zone. Also has the neat trick ISTR that the 2nd zone is adjustable in 15 min jumps so good for anywhere on the globe. I only have skinny wrists so the big shiny case was to much for me. Its been replaced now though with the Airwolf, I particularly like the version with the black bezel like this one;
    http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/swi ... raven.html
    ..just to give an idea of the sort of discount I would expect to easily obtain here in the UK, for the forces I believe you get 40% off at least and probably go through this guy in the UK.
    http://www.andrewmichaels.co.uk/amj/orderingshipping
    Having said all that I reckon one could get pretty big discounts on the Airwolf anyways out east.

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum and on budget new
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149234
    http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/swi ... tches.html

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    A true GMT which is also a stunning looker and you would be unlikely to bump into someone else wearing one.

Great water resistance, tough as old boots and as accurate as the Atomic Clock!

The Seiko SBDB001, or MM600 8)

I was going to suggest the same thing. Has the ability to set the hour hand without turning the minute hand or stopping the watch, which is very useful for travellers (and which I think Rolex and Omega offer but not many others.)

There's something about the gliding seconds hand combined with the 24hr hand that combine to give as perfect a representation of the passage of time over a day - or how it slips away from us :( - as I have seen.

Might just squeeze within budget new as long as you don't get clobbered for tax. It's a great watch. Wonder what happened to mine :?: :wink:

Explorer II very nice, but the Panerai above looks lovely.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geneve
    Explorer II very nice, but the Panerai above looks lovely.
    Should have gone to specsavers............ 8)

Journeyman

'Best GMT', as you said, is very subjective.

My 2 pence: I have a Rolex GMT II, and whilst this may be slightly over your budget, I would strongly suggest an Explorer II. To me they are the 'grey man' of Rolex sport watches so have the benefits of being uncommon, low-key (a black-dialled model on a Nato strap would be very subtle) and their relative unpopularity would mean you should pick up a good one within your budget.

Although they don't have the revolving bezel of the GMT II, from my experience I would say this is no loss: I was away this summer (Forces as well) and set my watch to show local time, with Zulu on the GMT hand, plus rotated the bezel occasionally to show BST. To be honest, it was all a bit superfluous as I soon got used to working it out in my head. I'd say the one extra timezone of the Explorer II is all you'll need; also, being a Rolex, the watch should keep a good bit of its value but don't hold me to this ;-)

I think the best GMT with independently adjustable second time zone hand is the Omega Flightmaster

with the X-33 a close second