closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster Omegamatic

Master

Omega Seamaster Omegamatic

Just seen one of these, and think it looks great.

Has anyone got one? I'm wondering if there are words of caution, or if I should add this to my ever expanding "wanted" list.

Blog Entries

Re: Omega Seamaster Omegamatic

Like the older Citizen and Seiko models (Eco-drive, Kinetic), beware of a faulty capacitor.
    Personally I've always liked the looks of this model.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti
    Just seen one of these, and think it looks great.

Has anyone got one? I'm wondering if there are words of caution, or if I should add this to my ever expanding "wanted" list.
    Hi Tahiti ..... I love these watches and have 2 of them .. but both I had to have serviced to repair the capacitors which would not hold charge. One of them is still with Omega. They come up on Ebay occasionally for around 600 - 650 pounds but factor in a service charge if you buy that way. There is one on watchfinder for 895 pounds but that is way too much IMHO.

I am out of country at present but will be back in the new year. I may sell one of mine at that time so let me know if you may be interested and we can stay in touch.

Cheers
    Brian

I had both a black and silver dial version of these a while back when they were a bit cheaper than they are now. I bought capacitors for them but beware there are two types due to the electrics and only one version is available. I got them from Ofrei and they stiffed me fex ex on the shipping without advising me that was what they would do, it was a case of 'order and give us your credit card number and we'll sort it all out for you', yeah right! My $8 worth of capacitors (like too small batteries) cost me almost 50bucks in shipping... Ive never ordered from them again :(

Funnily enough, I have just bought an Omegamatic (it hasn't arrived yet). From what I have read, there are different parts that can be used in place of the capacitor quite easily. There's loads of info on the Omegamatic wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Seamaster_Omegamatic

Apparently the Renata GC920 capacitor can be replaced by a Panasonic MT920 battery? I would imagine that that would improve the original 100 hour power reserve too, but I don't know.

Good luck with finding one. As stated, 600-700 gbp is reasonable, but anything over 700 is a bit steep. If you're looking to spend over £700 then I am sure you can buy mine ;-) I'll just find another one!

Dan

I had one back at the turn of the century - indeed I wore mine as the clocks chimed midnight at the end of the last day of 1999. Overall a nice watch, and not too common. Bought mine new, I think it cost about £860 in 1998. The main thing I didn't like about the watch was that the lume on the hands is hopeless. Omega filled-in the skeleton hands with luminous material for me - vast improvement. Not sure I've got any photos though :(
    The Panasonic replacement cell gives a much longer life if it's anything like how it works in a Seiko kinetic - goes from 14 days to several months but hard to charge to full capacity without a suitable induction charger - see the thread on 'toothbrush charger' to bodge one or you can try a Seiko YT02A.
    Steve

I was lucky enough to grab a silver dialed version on here earlier this year. A real cracker of a watch and not too big and bulky.
    The MT920 is readily available in the UK and will be fine in the Omega.
    Good luck with your search.
    Rob

Mine arrived today and I've just ordered the Panasonic MT920 for it. I will take some pics when I do the transfer.

Dan

Think I sold mine on here for about £350... I did wear it every day for 10 years.. they were a good solid watch!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MattH
    Think I sold mine on here for about £350... I did wear it every day for 10 years.. they were a good solid watch!
    I'd definitely have tried it at that price.

yeah it did not last long thats for sure!

Master

You aren't kidding!

Master

Thanks for all the PM's. I'm still quite tempted to give one a go.

Quote Originally Posted by MattH
    I think it is the one I now have :wink:

Master

Someone's currently trying to make me buy one of these :( I sort of want to but at the same time I'm not really sure about it.

Master

Someone's trying to make you buy one, or they're trying to sell you one?

Craftsman

Mine are both just back from repair/service but I won't be home until New Year to see them .. I will drop you a line on their performance and some pics if you are interested .... That one on german Ebay sold well !!

Cheers
    Brian

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti
    Someone's trying to make you buy one, or they're trying to sell you one?
    Bit of both! Got offered one at a good price which then got better but I turned the guy down, just not enough want for one to justify it.

Master

Well if it's still available, and you'd be willing to provide details, I could be interested myself.

@tahiti - did you ever get an Omegamatic?

Quote Originally Posted by searat
    The Panasonic replacement cell gives a much longer life if it's anything like how it works in a Seiko kinetic - goes from 14 days to several months but hard to charge to full capacity without a suitable induction charger - see the thread on 'toothbrush charger' to bodge one or you can try a Seiko YT02A.
    Steve
    I was under the impression the MT920 would only work with the 1400B movement introduced in 1998? That's what's implied in this Omega technical note http://goldsmithwatchworks.com/Omega-Se ... 4_7139.pdf but maybe the 1400A is just less efficient at charging the "accumulator" (called a "capacitor" previously apparently).

Im with Webvan, I dont think the newer cell works properly with the older movt.

Master

@webvan - no. I looked around for a while and then got distracted by hummers (I'm wearing one today in fact).