closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Pepsi with a 3186...

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with the Pepsi, the 3186 is unique and rare ! A masterpiece.

4 16.67%
  • No, too expensive for what it is. Go for the regular GMT with a 3185.

9 37.50%
  • It's a rip off. For that price, get yourself a GMT Ceramic 116710.

11 45.83%

Thread: Is a GMT Master II with caliber 3186 worth having ?

Journeyman

Is a GMT Master II with caliber 3186 worth having ?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, just recently moved to London from Paris. :D
    I've bought my myself an Omega Planet Ocean in july which I'm very happy with.
    Since I'm regularly working with foreign countries, I though having a GMT watch would be helpful (and a very good recent to get a new watch !).

I've started my "watch journey" with Omega so I've looked at they GMT models.
    Didn't find really what I was looking for and I've found the GMT Master II by Rolex. What a beauty, and maybe my first Rolex ? :D

In a Paris store, I've come across a 2006 Rolex GMT Master II (stick) with a 3186 caliber. Mint condition. Pepsi bezel (eventhough I would rather have the Coke bezel). No holes in lugs (too recent to have them)
    Price asked in Paris 5800€ = £4900
    At that price, I can have a brand new GMT 116710... :| with a real clasp and a real bracelet... :albino: (wink) ...sad but true.

Is it a really crazy price only because of the 3186 caliber ? Is it a really good buy - may I say "investment" - because of the 3186 caliber inside rather than going for the regular 3185 caliber ?
    If the 3186 is now a real must - especially in a GMT Master II Pepsi, would it make sense to now consider it as a real collectible watch ? In this case, would the £4900 price be justified ?

Thank you very much for your help and input !

PS: my birthday is on 12th dec. If you see what I mean. :wink:

Bruce

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemdale
    Is it a really crazy price only because of the 3186 caliber?
    No. It's just price gouging because the 16710 is discontinued.
    Is it a really good buy - may I say "investment" - because of the 3186 caliber inside rather than going for the regular 3185 caliber?
    No.
    If the 3186 is now a real must - especially in a GMT Master II Pepsi, would it make sense to now consider it as a real collectible watch?
    No.
    In this case, would the £4900 price be justified?
    No.

Master

Re: Is a GMT Master II with caliber 3186 worth having ?

Hi Bruce and welcome :wave:

This particular topic has been asked a few times before and it is matter of opinion, but that is an awfully high premium for a watch that was made so recently and there are an estimated 30k of them (or more) so it's not really that rare.

Don't forget that the € is slightly stronger again now and so the price may well be higher than that.

All SS sports Rolex can be argued as being a good investment in the long term if you buy SH or at a good discount. Don't forget that there has been a roughly 7% increase recently again though.

The investment value of any watch is only as good as the price you paid vs the price someone else is willing to pay - so if you pay £5k for that watch then how much would you expect someone else to pay in the future? And if you have worn it, what condition would it be in when you come to sell it?

Most people here would suggest that if spending that kind of money, buy a vintage Rolex model where the collectability and inherent value is more immediate and less speculative.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but I hope it helps :)

Master

IMO that price is a rip off. So I would say your decision is between the 116710 and 16710 (with 3185). They are very different watches and either would be a good match to your PO, so it'll be down to you to decide which you prefer.

The 116710 is more dressy, more substantial and has the updated features, whereas the 16710 is lighter and more utilitarian.

Compared to the PO the 16710 is going to 'feel' small and light. Whereas the 116710 will be more like the PO for weight and the more solid bracelet/clasp.

If you buy at a decent price then perhaps you could get a 16710 and if you decided later that you prefer the 116710 you should easily be able to sell the 16710, and there will be plent of 116710s around.

Master

That is an absolutely way over the top pricing for a gmt 16710 don t get me wrong really nice watch but wayy too much there s one on sc now with all the bits from 99 for £2750 okay you might need/want to change the jubilee bracelet but you re still well in pocket and to be honest i ve had a couple of those with the II on the dial so if its that you really want just wait as someone will have one for sale at sometime on this great forum and stick A WTB UP ,so IMHO just wait or buy the other one to try and just be careful as have all the gmts with the II on the dial have the 3186 movement as i don t htink they do ? although theres what they call a wiggle test if i remember right to determine this ,never done and don t know though to be honest.

The 3186 at the moment comands a premium becuase it is seen as a potential investment piece, i agree with peter though, at over 30000 units in production it is not as much of investment piece as some would like you to believe. I have seen some 3186 go for well over £5k :shock: but i think that is just a bit of hype, of that 30000 units when bought new in the shop i would imagine that most of the buyers didnt even know what movement was is inside anyway.

In summary i think it a waste of money, spend your money on a nice SD if you want to buy a sure thing for the future

Why not just buy watches you like and will enjoy wearing, instead of thinking about future values and investment potential? You can get a few very nice watches (including a GMT) for Rolex money. Our hosts selection, Sinn, Damasko etc, etc....
    F.T.F.A.

This might be a solution for you - plus some money in the bank, which is always useful ;)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145347&hilit=16710

Edit: You won't be able to see it! I'm sure ggill won't mind you sending him a PM though.

Craftsman

pointless paying a premium for a 3186 powered GMTII over a regular 3185 IMO. My clunky old 16710 runs -0.5secs per day on my wrist, can't see the point in paying an excess for something that won't do any better (other than bragging rights).

just my 0.02 worth :)

Journeyman

Hi guys,

First of all thank you so much for your responses. Very helpful indeed !
    I've been looking for a 16710 for a while and could find any...worth buying.

I'll have a closer look at the ones for sale in this forum.

Thanks again ! :bounce:

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemdale
    Is it a really crazy price only because of the 3186 caliber?
    No. It's just price gouging because the 16710 is discontinued.
    Is it a really good buy - may I say "investment" - because of the 3186 caliber inside rather than going for the regular 3185 caliber?
    No.[quote:1ffeo8al]If the 3186 is now a real must - especially in a GMT Master II Pepsi, would it make sense to now consider it as a real collectible watch?
    No.
    In this case, would the £4900 price be justified?
    No.[/quote:1ffeo8al]

Totally agree.

Better off to spend the money on a Fat Lady - if its a GMT2 you really want. However the Exp 2 has the same function (albeit a different bezel)

For that money I would be looking at a super nice 1675 GMT or perhaps better still a Matt 16750 (complete with Quick Set).

Both, rarer and more likely to gain value over the years + they both have plexi 's :)

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

I think it's a good watch to buy, and pretty unique (in modern Rolex terms). I don't think it'll be some ground breaking investment piece like a COMEX is

BUT

I do know a colector who has a stock of them. He firmly believes in the future they will go for multiples of their RRP. I'm to be convinced.

Buy a new EXPII with the movement in at under list :)

It's a better watch and all the nicer for the rumours they didn't put the movement in the cases - until proved that they had.

Like a best of the last model with the best current engine -got to be a winner - so if you wanted a 16710 then you should have the 3186 one - but it shouldn't cost a hell of a lot more than the 3185 version.
    It's just a matter of time...

Am I right in understanding that the 3186 movement is the one fitted in the new (ceramic) GMT Master? If so, is it a much better movement and how do you tell the difference between it and the 3185?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsaucer
    Am I right in understanding that the 3186 movement is the one fitted in the new (ceramic) GMT Master? If so, is it a much better movement and how do you tell the difference between it and the 3185?
    Apart from the wiggle for the last 16710's yes the GMTIIc has the 3186 along with the EXPII's now on sale - well if your watch is current stock. I is a parachrom equiped movement and supposedly finished a little better too - but I haven't seen them together and I'm no movement expert to tell the difference.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries

Lovely watch, wouldn't pay RRP though :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!