closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vantage, SBIII or Sinn 556

Vantage, SBIII or Sinn 556

As my MkII Kingston looks like it could easily still be several months away from finding its way onto my wrist, and as I have a birthday coming up, I find myself returning once again to the quest for a nice dressy but versatile watch to wear both for work and play. The only watch in my collection that might be classified as newish is my home made Sub-a-like with everything else spanning about 1968 to 1987 and so a purchase such as this would be a bit of an indulgence for me.

So, my plan is to at least entertain the possibility of purchasing, either new or minty used, a Vantage on the bracelet, an SBIII or as an outside option, largely because of the additional cost, a Sinn 556, again on a bracelet. My impressions of the strengths and weaknesses of the three options are as follows:

Bog standard MkII Vantage (Swiss Made): Not much wrong with this but I get the impression that the case work is nowhere near the quality of the SBIII case. If it had a domed acrylic, then I think this would win but it doesn't so it is merely a strong contender. The site claims 1 week lead time. With VAT, customs and handing charges, I guess I would be looking at an all in price of north of £500, which now that I've totted it up seems a bit OTT.

Speedbird III - again not much wrong with this one and it is comfortably the cheapest of the three. The case work is simply wonderful but the issue with the asymmetry in the placement of the hour numerals niggles at me (I do recognise that this is not an issue acknowledged by Eddie but I see it and it does bother me!). Of course, in the flesh that perception may disappear.

Sinn 556: I like this a lot but it is that bit more expensive. The dial and brushed casework are spot on although I have not seen much commentary on the newer version of the bracelet. I worry slightly that it lacks a bit of soul next to the other two though.

So, I would appreciate opinions from those of you who actually own or have owned any of the above, or indeed have handled them.

Thanks
    Martin

Re: Vantage, SBIII or Sinn 556

ive got the sbiii. i think of myself as someone who has a keen visual eye for design - the so-called 'misalignment' of the numerals is a total non-issue for me
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    ive got the sbiii. i think of myself as someone who has a keen visual eye for design - the so-called 'misalignment' of the numerals is a total non-issue for me
    Same here I thought long and hard about buying it don’t know why because it just oozes quality. :)
    paul. :D

Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss
    Same here I thought long and hard about buying it don’t know why because it just oozes quality. :)
    paul. :D
    likewise paul, if id found this watch a few years ago, i would have saved a hell of alot of money :P

I have owned both the 556 and now the SB3, I'd have to say the SB3. Do like the gloss dial and crystal caseback on the 556 making it much dressier than the other 2. Did find the AR coating on the 556 a right pain though. Always looking smudged. There is no distinction for 12 oclock so not the easiest to read in poor light. Lume is poor.
    Haven't worn my SB3 on a strap yet which I believe can be tricky given the relative short lugs. For me the SB3 wins, bracelet is a work of art, good anti magnetic resistance, 100m wr but would have liked the lugs to have been drilled.

No contest Speedbird III. Lovely looking watch IMO. A lot of dudes seem to like their Zeno explorers which are along the same sort of lines.

Craftsman

Martin, I would choose the SBIII, had one and it's a great piece. The others don't call for me.

Martin, I'm with mylofitz: the 556 not only has poor lume and the lack of an distinctive "HERE!" for the 12 o'clock position, but is so flat and thus plain it really becomes dull after a very short period of time. Case/bodywork is perfect though.

Cheers
    Brane

SBIII, without a doubt :wink:

Craftsman

Having had a SBIII in the past and selling only to upgrade to a MkXV, I can say that it is of exceptional quality. I too was worried about the asymmetry of the numbers on the dial but can assure you that on the wrist, it really is hardly noticeable.

Craftsman

I have owned the Vantage and SBIII and whilst there was a lot I liked about the Vantage, in the flesh, the appeal soon wore off whereas the SBIII seemed to just keep getting better and better.

Mark

Master

A choice of 3 good watches.
    I have had the SBIII, kept it for a while, loved it, I really cannot fault it and the bracelet is perfect. I did sell it as most of us here do seem to flip watches after a while, I thought I wasnt using it enough so off it went to SC.
    A short while later I replaced it with the 556, I replaced the leather strap with a Toshi and sometimes wear it on a Nato.
    I really could not choose between the 2 as I think they are so close to each other (for what I want in that style of watch). I have had thoughts of buying another SBIII as they are only £340, the day I went to Eddies site they had sold out and now I have got over the urge.
    I too looked at getting the Vantage but ended up buying the Explorer1 instead :D .
    I would say "buy both the SBIII and the Sinn 556, both are easy to sell if you to and will not loose too much in value".

Master

I think it works fine on leather:

I'd never noticed the asymmetric numbers before it was mentioned on here, I don't think it's really noticeable.

Master

I recently picked up an SBIII off SC and it's fantastic - cracking spec for the money and the bracelet really is as good as they say.

Blog Entries

Take the 656 and you have a winner :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

I picked the SBIII and still own it. I have to say, though, that I find it a bit too big lug-to-lug and consequently it's been some time since I've worn it. I like the dial and especially the hands a lot.

On the flipside, it's good news if you're worried it might be small.

556 for me, just right somehow...

I've owned a Sinn 556 and now currently own a SBIII.

They are similar, both ETA 2824 powered, both about the same size, similar style and similar brushed steel cases.

The SBIII wins by some margin. Much cheaper, has the antimagnetic protection and one of the nicest bracelets I've ever worn... and I'm strictly a NATO person.

I do like the face design of the Sinn and the "Top" grade version of the ETA 2824. However, with a bit of regulation I've got my SBIII running pretty much perfectly while the Sinn was around +8 secs a day, so the movement grade is a bit irrelevant.

I don't notice the asymmetry of the numerals on the face of the SBIII and probably wouldn't know about it if I hadn't read it here.

The Sinn has long since been sold, but the recently acquired SBIII looks to be a long term keeper. At the price you can't really go wrong.

Here's some pics:

SBIII is absolutely lovely especially on the bracelet which is without equal at this price point, I would also replace the option of 556 with a Sinn 656 as these are in my opinion a lot nicer than the 556 and may make your choice a little more difficult.

If so and you are able get both, SBIII leave on the bracelet and 656 on leather or nato, all you'll ever need.

Regards

Ben

Disliked the glossy dial of the 556, also the lack of a distinctive 12 o'clock marker. The date window looks like an after thought IMO. And it wears on the small size. The AR was fantastic though - looked like the hands were floating. If you want a Sinn, the 656 is a much better watch.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. This has been tremendously helpful - an avalanche of support for the SBIII and some very useful insights into the 556. That one is now definitely off the list, with the 656 being a little bit too far out of budget. As much as I like the Vantage as a theoretical option, I don't hear much in the way of support and, to be honest, I also feel a bit reluctant to send any more money in MkII's direction until I get my Kingston!

So, Eddie may well hear from me in the next few days.

Thanks all
    Martin

I've had a couple of SBIII's and a couple of 556's. The SBIII is excellent value for money and has a great bracelet, screw-adjusted, that is easy to get just right. The sapphire crystal is lovely, and the machining is top-rate. For me the SBIII's lume isn't the best as there isn't much room on the thin hands, but it's adequate.
    The 556 is a gem of a watch with a sapphire display back and it's attractive enough to wear as a dress watch, yet is 200m water resistant (100m on the SBIII) and very solidly made. I've not had the 556 20mm bracelet but have a Sinn 22mm bracelet on my UX which is comfy and screw-adjusted like the Speedbird.
    To me the 556 has the edge because it's unique, not a homage (Steve ducks for cover :bom: ), though I wish the 12 o'clock markers were more distinctive - it's hard to tell which way is 12 when reading off-wrist in the dark.
    Cheers,
    Steve

get both...

I got the vantage pre order (cheap but 7 months wait...) as custom and I tell you, ah... it is one funky hell of a watch.
    I can truly say I have never had any issue with the watch, has nothing to do with a rolex type, more like a railmaster style (if you get a 48 or 53 setup, that is).
    also, it is kind of slim so wears fantastic.

then the sb3 came out and I got that as well, great watch, great feel, but.... to be picky, is not my favourite:
    eta performs less accurate than bill's (tuned high grade positioned balh blah)
    the lume of the minute hand is lowish, because the hand is so thin... a bit too thin I reckon,
    the lugs are a tad short so I scratch all the leather straps against the case
    feels bigger that the vantage because of the short lugs and tends to wear taller

but consider this:
    I am Bubi
    I like small watches
    I don't really care

see what I mean about the strap touching the case and getting scratched?

the sinn is great too, but for me, you cannot distinguish th 12oclock lume marker, so basically it is impossible to read the time in the dark.
    there is always the one with 3-6-9-12 though, but is not brushed, so it's like military hardcore.

there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by searat
    I've had a couple of SBIII's and a couple of 556's. The SBIII is excellent value for money and has a great bracelet, screw-adjusted, that is easy to get just right. The sapphire crystal is lovely, and the machining is top-rate. For me the SBIII's lume isn't the best as there isn't much room on the thin hands, but it's adequate.
    The 556 is a gem of a watch with a sapphire display back and it's attractive enough to wear as a dress watch, yet is 200m water resistant (100m on the SBIII) and very solidly made. I've not had the 556 20mm bracelet but have a Sinn 22mm bracelet on my UX which is comfy and screw-adjusted like the Speedbird.
    To me the 556 has the edge because it's unique, not a homage (Steve ducks for cover :bom: ), though I wish the 12 o'clock markers were more distinctive - it's hard to tell which way is 12 when reading off-wrist in the dark.
    Cheers,
    Steve

DUDE YEAH!!!!
    we should party

I own an SB3, its really very good cant comment on the other two, not had them. :D

R U Serious??? Speed Bird no question! 8) 8) 8)
    It's just a matter of time...

Unquestionably Sinn...every day and twice on Sunday :D

Ok, ok, I get the picture with regard to the SBIII. I do see how nice it is in many respects. But. I somehow cannot bring myself to do it - at least today, this weekend - we'll see. Bubi's post threw a spanner in the works too. There is something about the Vantage thatpushes the right buttons. I think it has been amplified recently watching Mad Men with Don Draper wearing what looks like an Explorer on a bracelet looking oh so lovely (the watch not Mr. Draper).

Any further input either from Vantage owner or those who have both that and the SBIII?

Martin

Master

Owned all 3 at some point and to my surprise the Sinn is the one that moved me the least. MkII is very nice but as others have said, for sheer quality and vfm the Speedbird can't be beaten. On the bracelet it is formal and dressy but put it onto a Nato and it becomes more casual.

Speedbird all the way. The MKII is no where near it in quality and you will have a wait even for a stock one while you will have the SBIII in a very short time (I think mine took 23 hours from when I ordered it). I have never seen the Sinn in person but I do have three other Sinns and they are very well made watches but I would still go for the SBIII.

I think you may be right. MkII claim 1 week lead time on Swiss made but I would be very surprised if that turned out to be anywhere near accurate. I think, with my sensible hat on, that the correct thing to do is acknowledge that the Kingston, when it arrives, will hit the 60's Rolex homage vibe far better than the Vantage in any case and that the SBIII could then occupy a properly defined space in its own right. The very worst that can happen is I lose 60 quid flipping it which is probably less than I will have to pay in delivery, customs and handling charges on the Vantage. See, I think I may have justy talked myself into an SBIII. Will report back if I fail to come to my senses.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Speedbird all the way. The MKII is no where near it in quality and you will have a wait even for a stock one while you will have the SBIII in a very short time (I think mine took 23 hours from when I ordered it). I have never seen the Sinn in person but I do have three other Sinns and they are very well made watches but I would still go for the SBIII.

You're looking at the wrong Sinn model. If it was the 656, that would be a different kettle of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    You're looking at the wrong Sinn model. If it was the 656, that would be a different kettle of fish.
    But as I said earlier, that's considerably more expensive (more than twice the cost of the SBIII on a bracelet) and if I was going to stretch that far, then I might as well get the only Sinn I have actually seen in the flesh which I actually really like and that is the 756 - but that is in another league altogether from a price point of view. And if I was going to spend that much on a watch then it would probably be on a Seiko MarineMaster 300. But that is all academic because I am not spending more than £1000 on a watch. My long standing modus operandi has been to spend as little as I can get away with on something a bit tatty and old and then fettle the hell out of it. Spending £300+ on a new watch is really only a very occasional indulgence for me.

Martin

Yes, fair point, probably should have re-read the thread. The SBIII is one of only two watches I've sold and then bought again.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    But as I said earlier, that's considerably more expensive (more than twice the cost of the SBIII on a bracelet) and if I was going to stretch that far, then I might as well get the only Sinn I have actually seen in the flesh which I actually really like and that is the 756 - but that is in another league altogether from a price point of view. And if I was going to spend that much on a watch then it would probably be on a Seiko MarineMaster 300. But that is all academic because I am not spending more than £1000 on a watch. My long standing modus operandi has been to spend as little as I can get away with on something a bit tatty and old and then fettle the hell out of it. Spending £300+ on a new watch is really only a very occasional indulgence for me.

Martin
    if value is a main criteria then i dont see how the other two could get a look in

Journeyman

Sinn definitely....pure class

if value is a main criteria then i dont see how the other two could get a look in
    Well, it has only become the main criteria as a consequence of this dialogue. If more than only one or two people had been jumping up and down singing the praises of the Vantage, then I could reasonably easily have talked myself into that. The Vantage is, after all, only about £400 but when you wack on all the delivery extras it starts to look a bit pricey by comparison to the SBIII. I started this thread to garner opinions from those who know the watches and it has been really useful from that point of view.

Martin

I have the 556 and it is simply fantastic. Great feel, cool design and Quality.

Although I do not own one, I have seen a few SBIII and impressed with the quality, great watch.

Never seen the other one before.
    :)

Master

I have the Sinn 556 which for me has the design edge. It is one of the few watches I own that draws comment. I will at some stage get a Speedbird III but the Sinn was what I wanted first and I am very happy with my choice. Here's a shot of mine...

Craftsman

SB3 for me out of that trio. It is easy to dress either up or down and is just one of those very pleasing watches to wear. My collection has downsized a lot over the last 18 months due to necessity, but the SB3 has never been at risk. I had a Vantage but never quite bonded with it, preferred the SB3. I've not had a 556, but it pales beside the 656 for me, which is one of my all time favourite watches.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    I've not had a 556, but it pales beside the 656 for me
    +1 My 656 had to go to fund my Damasko DC67, but I certainly mean to have another some time.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    I have the Sinn 556 which for me has the design edge. It is one of the few watches I own that draws comment. I will at some stage get a Speedbird III but the Sinn was what I wanted first and I am very happy with my choice. Here's a shot of mine...

That looks lovely. I'm just not convinced it is £600-worth of lovely when compared to the SBIII at approaching half the price. I really like the dial though, and the brushed case.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    +1 My 656 had to go to fund my Damasko DC67, but I certainly mean to have another some time.
    Now that you mention Damasko, as so many seem to be advocating the Sinn 656 at £700+. what about the Damasko DA36? I have always thought they looked a bit souless but you never know how you are going to react to something in real life.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Now that you mention Damasko, as so many seem to be advocating the Sinn 656 at £700+. what about the Damasko DA36? I have always thought they looked a bit souless but you never know how you are going to react to something in real life.

Martin
    Still the Sinn for me, partly because I love bracelets. I had a DA36 as well, but I still have the 656.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

556 for me!

Update: I've made a decision and it is none of the above. But that does not mean I have not placed an order and somewhat blown the budget in the process. Further updates to follow when it arrives :)

Martin

Do we get three guesses? :D

Is it the 656?

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Do we get three guesses? :D

Is it the 656?
    That's one - try again. Two more and that's your lot.

Martin

Master

While we wait for Martin's decision, here's some light music from a duo of mine...